Useful memory 'hacks'?

So, I’ve just been contacted by someone wanting to make a memory-themed video to support an app, or something, and they say “We want to create a short snappy video that explores your memory hacks, tips & formulas - almost like a 'how-to’ remember video.”

It’s the sort of thing I’d normally say no to, because I don’t really know any useful ways to remember anything other than meaningless long numbers… but then I thought maybe I could summarise other people’s ideas, and generally get the idea of memory buzzing around social media. Does anyone have any suggestions for what this kind of video could talk about?

3 Likes

‘app’ tends to indicate smart phone usage and its demographic , so maybe an easy ‘hack’ (*shudders *) on how all those 12 year olds could have their Contacts in their heads so when their battery expires at lunchtime they can still sext after having nicked someone else’s phone?

1 Like

If the app is any good and actually memory-technique related I’d say:

• Spaced repetition
  • number shapes (since it’s very simple for beginners; every other number system seems, from my experience, to be “too complicated” for people who aren’t willing to engage with the whole concept)
  • simple explanation of memory palaces or memory pegs

If the app itself doesn’t consider any of these concepts, I don’t see the point of making a video to promote it with these concepts. Hopefully it will be a worthwhile app (not one of those wrongheaded mainstream “brain-training”-apps that promise a lot, but keep very little to none; there’s enough of those out there, it seems).

4 Likes

In this video Joshua Foer (writer of Memory Palace) gives an amazing lecture, that has a ton of memory hacks in them. The hacks for names and faces are absolutely remarkable. By the way, at 08:38 there is a picture of you with 36 decks of playing cards on the table.

5 Likes

Oooooh a Josh Foer video I haven’t yet seen , goody gumdrops! Thanks Erik.