Two questions regarding language and language learning

1- What is the importance of learning grammar? I have traumas of being forced to learn it when I was in school; I feel it enables your mind to sort categories better, so would becoming a grammar master help in learning languages more efficiently?
2- It is good to learn a propaedeutic language for a language X before learning a language X, like should I learn Esperanto (that is a propaedeutic language for German) before learning German in order for me to learn German more faster than if I didn’t learn Esperanto?

Let me give an analogy. Say you (your body and mind) were a Language. Now say I took grammar away from this language. All that would be left of you would be steak. Indistinguishable from supermarket, steak.

Putting it simply, any language learning that doesn’t learn grammar either consciously or subconsciously doesn’t know anything more than fancy tongue movements. Alternatively what these tongue movements on their own mean in a language that they actually do know.
So yes becoming better at Grammar would help learn a language. The effect you wanted from it is also there, (knowing what type of word this is even if you do not know the definition) and that will make it easier to learn.

If you are planning to learn both then it is sensible to learn one you can extend from first. If not, then it is not quite time efficient.

Of all the languages in the world… for German, seriously? Who told you that?

80/20 Lexis is far more important than grammar! Also, as far as the aforementioned German… most of the native speakers don’t get the conjunctive right, so “not knowing grammar” is really what you want.

Most imporatly

Work on your pronunciation… all the grammar in the world doesn’t help if I can’t understand what you’re saying!

What do you mean?

Poppa Josh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeutic_value_of_Esperanto

No idea who that is supposed to be. You’ve asked…

…your Wikipedia quote has nothing to do with that. Who says that Esperanto is a “propaedeutic language” for German?

Admin Josh

If it helps with learning German, I suppose it is a propaedeutic language for German. I am newly acquainted to the word.

a) Have you ever looked at German and Esperanto before?
b) Also, that is not what the study you are citing is about…

“Such indications perfectly confirm the initial observations made by Prof. Barczi: in scholastic language instruction circumstances, Esperanto is the only foreign language for which educational goals can be met.” (Szerdahelyi, 1970, quoted in Lobin, p. 39).

A - Yes in German and a bit of Esperanto, but I know it appears with Spanish.
B- I guess I misread it. I was inducing something like: A group who learned Esperanto had a better performance in 30% Russian, 40% in German, and 60% in English compared to people who don’t. Sorry.

Not sure why something that applies to Spanish should apply to German though…

English: bread
German: Brot
Esperanto: pano
Spanish: pan
French: pain

You can compare with rest of the Germanic languages (Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish) and that’s just as far as lexis… Esperanto’s grammar is a priori, so that won’t help you much with German either.