Turn glosary/word into image

Anyone experinced that turn word to image is sometimes need so much effort, to meet logic between word and image, how to train this?

1 Like

I suspect that it is one of those things that you train by doing. The more you do, the easier it becomes…at least that’s what I’m finding. I try and do it as often as possible during my day, in my daily life.

1 Like

A few years ago I once thought, if I can turn these paragraphs into images wouldn’t I be able to think in images too? So I tried doing this and it was somewhat difficult, however to my surprise within 1 week and barely any practice I became able to do it as if it were the most natural thing.

My images are very unusual to describe the situation.

Sample:
My explanation for how it works in images:
2 streams waves colliding against each other at a high pace but not intersecting, these waves then turn into images that start with streets, tectonic plates then turn into cake, A small stream of light(appearing after) in-between the two pieces of dough colliding then turns into a layer of milk.

In word explanation terms:
Essentially it feels as though there are many things of different meanings. Particularly one thing that means many different things, another thing that also means many different things and their collision either highlights or creates exactly what I am referring to or, otherwise, I focus on it as if it were the only thing to focus on in that entire set of properties (including the logic underlying this).

I look back at this critically and still question how all this talk about cake dough and street plates and waves is trying to precisely indicate what I have written above but I do somehow ‘see it’ as that, perhaps some overlapping properties are painting a picture.

In short, my ability to do this massively morphed when I had attempted to think in this, even though I didn’t particularly train it immensely, just the first day of struggling and a lot of gaps were enough to meet the demands to do this generally. I actually suspect that the right amount of gaps is doing a lot more of the training than the actual training was doing for me.

3 Likes

At first I didn’t even believe I had what it took, no matter how hard I would try. I tried and gave up so many times. It all started changing when I started to slowly realise that no matter how much effort I put in creating images, the result was way too bad. I couldn’t recall well enough what I needed to, never.

so, I let go, I stopped making that effort.

I learned to work on creating images micro steps by micro steps, picking in the first ridiculously simple image that came to mind no matter what it was. Then going back at it to see what I can guess from it, then add the next thing that came to mind, then a while after try to guess from that, and then from micro steps I went to mini steps, from mini steps 2 normal steps two medium steps to larger steps and finally…

to leaps by leaps, where more than often the first thing that comes to mind is enough for me to guess what that image or set of images represent exactly.

With memory palaces, It is easy to thoughtlessly add a series of images in a room or two, then revisit it and see how good those images work to recall the info accurately.

I was amazed how many ridiculously unfounded images I’d come up with actually worked !!

The memory palace was for me the perfect clutches to help me grow. The perfect tool for taking those first micro-steps because I just revisit and add/modify/remove little by little with every visit. And really have more occasions to see and feel the path taken as much if not more then the objective.

More occasions to see and feel the difference between what works, could work with more developed skill, and what doesn’t.

3 Likes

I plan to attend an open lecture next weekend on the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles (hereafter ASC) and I don’t want to look a total idiot so I need to memorise several passages from the ASC in the original Old English (kinda like you learning ‘Old Malay’). The first entry I plan on memorising is as follows:

654 Her Onna cyning wearþ ofslægen, 7 Botulf ongon mynster timbran æt Icanho.
(’ 654AD King Anna was slain and Botulf started to build a minster at Icanhoe’)

Why do I mention this? Well Firman, when i started mnemonics a couple of months back , I know for a fact that for me to come up with the necessary images for almost identical sentences would have taken maybe a day per word or even longer! I’m not joking -you think you struggle? So I thought it might interest you to see what I have spent the last hour or so doing this morning , and bare in mind I have The Cold From Hell and am so NOT a Peak-Imaging!
Using the Major System on the date 654 gives me CHoLeRa (actually it doesn’t because we say ‘cholera’ with a ‘K’ sound, but its near enough ). My image for cholera is an old fashioned victorian cast iron water pump with that long handle removed because in the late Victorian times, as the pathology of cholera became better known , the police would remove the handles from the public water pumps to prevent people drawing contaminated water.
Up to that time people had believed that cholera, and most other diseases, was spread by the ‘Miasma’ or ‘bad smells’ (before one laughs at those silly ancestors, one should perhaps keep in mind that there are any number of people today who believe that ‘Passive Smoking’ can give you cancer.)

Her Onna sounds like ‘Hare honour’. So I have an image of the March Hare from whichever recent Alice In Wonderland film wearing a High Court judge’s horsehair (doubling down) wig. Judges in England are titled ‘Honour’ so ‘if it please your Honour’.

cyning wearþ ‘cyning’ is the word for ‘king’ so I have a racCOON wearing a crown , for ‘wearth’ i split the dipthong into two and have that King RacCOON urinating (wee) at the back of a boat (aft).

And so it goes on. ‘Botulf’ i make into ‘Bot Elf’ or an elf with a huge bottom. Like I said maybe an hour for that whole sentence this morning and I dare say with more practice I shall get up to a ‘quick think for an image’ speed!
[NB those aren’t necessarily the actual ‘images’ I shall use, my images tend to be a bit more ‘interesting’ than that but we try to keep this forum ‘clean’]

1 Like

March hare as a judge
Racoon peeing of a raft
Big butt elf

4 awesome examples that I placed around me and It works great for me who knows nothing of Old English.

I won’t ask you to share more because I know you will and I can’t wait.

Is there a ( good) text to speech for OE ?

1 Like

Not as far as I know I’m afraid. Be rather difficult to do with a dead language that no has spoken as their Mother Tongue since the late C13, and a language without standardized spelling nor pronunciation.
Just that one word ‘wearþ’ will be pronounced by scholars in 4 or 5 different ways and all are as ‘correct’ as each other.

Now leave me in peace to DIE horribly from this F L U! presses hand to forehead in a dramatic fashion “weep not for me, cruel world, I go to a far better place”

That’s what I was afraid of, not only of your flu but that those 4 or 5 different ways didn’t each have their text to speech :crying_cat_face: Sounds I found thanks to you really got to me