Transformers; early childhood memory

This will be one of those post whereby you probably wander “what did he smoke”, but maybe you just need some time to digest my ideas.

collateral damage of memory training

A year ago i was memorising numbers with a 2-digit object image system. No big deal you may say, well… Because it was during a vacation I treated myself to some double espresso coffee drinks (amazing sale in local super market); nightmares and/or lucid dreaming are sometimes the result of this high caffeine intake. One of my 2-digit objects was a car, not a scary object. And than I went to sleep. In the dream I relived an episode of my life when I was 2 years old; I was on top of the staircase (I managed to pull the safety fence to the side) sitting on a step bicycle with on the steering wheel a bag with all my toy cars. I felt a inmediate terror shock when I slipped from the highest step and went down the stairs with ever increasing speed, while my toy cars where flying all over the place. To make sense of this story, I have to inform you that this actually happened when I was 2 years old, and of course I’ve heard the story from my mother (who started smoking again because she witnessed the accident) years later.

going back to sleep: more about cars

The next dream I had was also about cars. To be more specific it was about a collection of old fashioned (like the T-ford) toy cars I had as a kid ( something like 4-5 years old). The cars were all placed in a hierarchy. I noticed one of the cars trying to switch places and immediately the “leader” of the cars stepped in and put the subordinate car in it’s proper place. When I woke up I clearly remembered that I did place cars in a hierarchy in the sense that one car (a long nosed green car) was absolutely considered to be the leader of the pack. I also remembered that I did the same with my animal toy collection (the elephant was the leader)

Transformers

Most transformers are cars and If there’s one thing a child will understand watching the tv series, even if it’s not in his/her native language, that there are two teams and both of them have a leader, second in command, etcetera. The creator of the transformer (comics) is Simon Furman (please let me know if I’m mistaken about this). I imagine if his idea for Transformers was a result of a dream he had about his childhood and if he was using high amounts of caffeine (not unusual for a (sci-fi) writer) and if he had a car as an image in his 2-digit memory system.

Anyways, I would like to know if there are some Transformer experts in this forum who can perhaps eleborate somewhat on the ideas i have written down.

4 Likes

Quite apart from Transformers, you might want to contact the Psychology department of your local university. I’m sure they would like to study someone who can remember dreams which occurred at the age of two.

The following Wikipedia article gives some background:

The following article by LiveScience says:

1 Like

In my post, I mentioned, that my mother told me about the accident years later. It is therefore impossible for me to decide if the dream is a first hand memory or a memory construct (perhaps all memories are constructs in some way) as a result of the witness report from my mother.

He said the dream occurred a year ago

You’re sure you didn’t also dream that your mother told you about the accident? :joy:

Although I very much enjoyed your story Erik, I failed to understand it :persevere: in it’s entirety.

And although I loved Transformers as a child, I’m far from being an expert today :confounded:

Thank you nonetheless for the memories! And I’m staying around in case another post helps me understand better.

I am sure about that.

Perhaps I do need to give some explanation of the main idea.

Transformers as marketing succes

According to wikipidia, transformers was created to sell (robot) toys to children (of course). That means, that for it to be a succes , the transformers story has to appeal to the children’s way of seeing the world. So perhaps the writer used his dreams/memories of being a child to accomplish that task.

In a sort of indirect way I used my dream story to ask about the effects of using memory systems on awakening certain long forgotten memories (by means of dreaming).

1 Like

It never ceases to amaze me, the countless times I was reminded of a childhood memory while revisiting a Memory Palace taken from my childhood. And even though these familiar places are more vague, they’re worth using for the emotional and other effects, like making them less and less vague as I revisit them throughout the years, and like making sure that what I still remember will still be there to visit 40 years from now, which is also a great feeling.

And the few that really stay too vague, actually end up being just as useful because I make a lot of stuff up as I populate them making them into mostly artificial palaces.

The most fruitful ones are often the ones that were the most vague at the beginning.

2 Likes

Unfortunately i suffer from recurring nightmares and I’m glad I don’t recall some of the trauma of childhood .I was badly bullied at school for years until I discovered a way to put an end to it which was to simply let the violence come upon me and hospitalize (I mean that) my tormentors -worked like a charm but I can’t recommend it as a coping strategy. Anyways I digress, what I wanted to say was that in the short time I have been using mnemonic techniques I have found myself suddenly remembering stuff from my early childhood (5 years old) even though decades of alcohol abuse lie between them and now.

However unlike Cameri it has not occurred whilst using MPs from my childhood (because I simply don’t have any…yet). But , for example, my Aged Mother will say something “Nan bought you both a cowboy gun and holster set” and suddenly I can see myself arguing with my younger brother about who was going to get which plastic cowboy gun holster (this was back when it was normal to give small boys an entire armoury of increasingly realistic plastic and metal weaponry…ohhh suddenly i realise I can recall pretty much all the toy guns I had during my childhood…i forsee a peg list.)

My own kids were heavily into Transformers but I have no idea about them myself except they seemed to cost a bloody fortune for what they were. So I can’t help there, sorry.

2 Likes

I have a few clear and vivid memories from before the age of three.

Among them is a memory of getting hold of a can of custard powder (a pudding mix) and spreading it evenly over the kitchen floor. I remember the smells, the colors, the texture and a strong sense of purpose though for the life of me I can’t understand what that was. I distinctly recall being very satisfied at the results. I have no recollection of what happened when my mother showed up. Best forgotten.

But I am somewhat skeptical. I am certain of the events but I question the emotional content. Reliving a memory is a reenactment, a performance and, inevitably, an interpretation. I am not the same person as that little boy. I wouldn’t understand his world today and when I recall those memories I am never sure how much of my adult self I have projected onto the story.

2 Likes

I’ve had a bit to do with ‘false memory’ and ‘survivors’ memories’ , you are absolutely right about that.

1 Like

have you tried adding that custard powder to your numbers maybe adding a digit to them? I noticed that just adding colours really didn’t work for me, but spreading Nutella or peanut butter really does work well enough to add as a layer onto anything without any chance of it being forgotten

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: :). I suspect that my mother would have been even less happy had I chosen peanut butter!

I will give that idea some serious thought. Thanks.

1 Like

Additionally custard powder makes, as every 80s Brit school boy knows, really neat and , for us the more important, memorable explosions!

2 Likes

The Japanese invented the toys. The Americans invented the comic and the tv series to sell those toys in the US.