Top Level Memory Palace Classification System

Hi everyone, I’m not new to using memory palaces but I’ve only ever used the technique for remembering small pieces of information, and more to the point, only remembering for a temporary and short amount of time. So I’m hoping for guidance and feedback as my planned memory-palace project is going to be huge and ongoing. I want to get it right.

Put simply, I want to set up a multi-level memory palace that is ready to accept information and knowledge for recall throughout the rest of my life. I wanted it to be arranged in an almost categorical way so that it has an element of predictabilty to aid recall in many years time.

My plans are to adopt the existing taxonomy ‘Bliss Bibliographic Classification’ system as the top most master directory. Bliss BC has 26 categories as follows:

1. Generalia, phenomena, knowledge, information science & technology
  2. Philosophy and logic
  3. Mathematics, probability, statistics
  4. General science and Physics
  5. Chemistry
  6. Astronomy
  7. Earth sciences
  8. Biological sciences
  9. Zoology
  10. Applied biological sciences: agriculture and ecology
  11. Physical anthropology, human biology, health sciences
  12. Psychology and psychiatry
  13. Education
  14. Society (includes social sciences, sociology and social anthropology)
  15. History
  16. Archaeology
  17. Religion, occult, morals and ethics
  18. Social welfare and criminology
  19. Politics and public administration
  20. Law
  21. Economics and management of economic enterprises
  22. Technology and useful arts (including household management and services)
  23. The Arts
  24. Music
  25. Language and literature
  26. Museology

http://www.blissclassification.org.uk/index.shtml

With the exception of the first category, I will make no changes. The first category is somewhat redundant in a human-memory classification system. However I’m actually keeping it in, partially due to sentiment, and partially in the event the loci becomes useful :wink:

I have designed the list to be a cyclical list with items number 1 and 26 existing separately.

My ‘waiting room’ as I’m calling this top-most palace is a small room that contains a bust statue of Marcus Aurelius, a small tabletop model of the Louvre, and a bookshelf. The bookshelf and Louvre are quite simply loci hyperlinks, as Gavino puts it in his post about his Massive Memory Palace System. These link to item 1 and 26 respectively. As a sidenote, I’m hoping that the museology section will be a nice standalone section to facilitate a catalogue of buildings for use as memory palaces.

The bust of Marcus Aurelius acts as the beginning and ending of a cyclical list.
I’d like those of you more experienced to weigh in on whether the following approach is practical:

• Associate the items in the list with each other in a sequential story, eg. smash the bust of Aurelius (2. Philosophy) on the floor and out spill abacus beads, picking one up. (3. Mathematics)
  • The ability to choose whether to choose whether to ‘dive in’ to a category by transporting to a new memory palace, eg. triggered by eating a bead, or move onto the next list item by interacting differently, eg. The bead in my hand becomes a large glowing, swirling, atom representation (4. Science and Physics)
  • Once at the end of the list, the final item can become the bust of Aurelius again and I find myself back in the waiting room as before

It’s this feature to use list items to choose whether to dive in or ‘swipe left’, as well as the large organisational structure I would like feedback and guidance on. Whether it will work, if anyone uses anything similar. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Dylan

Yo!

I can totally see where you are getting at here. I made a video describing the idea behind what you are doing.

Why don’t you just create a 26 location main palace for the 26 topics? Then you would create a palace for each of the topics. Then in your main memory palace locations, you would change the topic (philosophy) into an image bust of Marcus Aurelius and you will create a representative image for your memory palace (Pool) would be maybe a pool noodle. Then you connect both of these images in the main palace location which would be the second location (maybe your kitchen table).

So when you go through your palace and see your kitchen table, you see Marcus Aurelius eating a pool noodle! This triggers the other palace which is the pool and lets you know this palace has philosophy in it.

Hopefully this helps or gives you ideas!

1 Like

Hey Johnny, I’ve actually come across a few of your videos in the past. Great easily digestible chunks, keep it up!

I hear what you’re saying, and I think it’s your experience talking when you say [quote=“Parkouristx, post:2, topic:50707”]
Why don’t you just create a 26 location main palace for the 26 topics?
[/quote]

My initial reaction to that line was ‘wait, why use an entire ‘palace’ for this, why not just create a linking story.’ But to a certain degree I think this is semantics and preference. Your memory palace for this ‘menu’ would be anchored in a spatial dimension, whereas mine is anchored in a temporal dimension.

I’m loving that you have prompted me to reconsider the concept of a memory palace as they relate to mapping onto different dimensions.
I gravitate towards thinking that can create complexity from simple universal rules. This thinking opens up new ways for me to design loci and expand any one given ‘palace’ which my mind most readily and easily see as 3D spaces.
To demonstrate what I’m thinking conceptually:

• 1D - curves (lines painted on walls, ceilings, or floors, cracks in concrete, tree branches, etc. where loci are points along the line.
  • 2D - Utilsing the flat sides of objects (entire wall, paintings, refrigerator door, surface of the door, etc.
  • 3D - The 3D world around us that we experience, know, and love (but static)
  • Time Dimension - Utilising movement, storytelling, and transformation as loci (can be utilised in either 3D, 2D, or 1D independently of each other)

Now I don’t have the mathematical comprehension to be able to reliably visualise higher than 4D but if someone knows how to explain it to me, please do.

But what do you think about segmenting those 4 dimensions to their parts to be able to encode more unique information within the same space? Does it seem too unreliable for recall? Too easily conflated?

In getting back to it Johnny, thank you for the mental chewing gum you’ve given me and I will revisit your YT channel for some more of your nuggets of wisdom.

Cheers

I am glad you like the videos!

You just blew my mind with that explanation! :exploding_head:

It is actually impossible for us to comprehend the 4th physical dimension because we exist in the 3D and our minds are limited here! I have tried to think about and see the 4D but nothing haha It hurts my head :face_with_head_bandage:

I think the issue with using all the dimensions is that there isn’t enough variation. Take the 1D - lines/curves. For me at least, they all look the same. I can see a curve but it looks like another one when I am trying to find points on the curve. There is no unique to the points on a curve or the curves themself.

The 2D - Surfaces is a little better because they can look different and have designs. But is it easy to picture your 3D images onto a 2D world? Or would your images also be 2D on the 2D world? I would think this is possible but the speed at which you can do it might be slowed since you create an 3D image in your mind than have to change it to 2D. Unless you can create 2D images like a pro!

I definitely think you are on to something! Keep me updated on what you find out!

Best,
Johnny