This is a call for checking the whole Englsh dictionary

Once I had the idea of checking the whole English dictionary to find words to increase my vocabulary to increase my expressivity. The problem is that there are thousands of words, so here I am calling you to check the whole English dictionary. It will work that way: Each person will be on the duty to explore a specific part of the English dictionary, and they will search for abstract words and nouns that may be interesting. If you are up to the call, let me know it in the comments. Go to answer the call.

1 Like

Why don’t you just use SAT or GRE word lists instead?

Also, much better idea… learn some basic Greek and Latin, so that you can anticipate the words in an English dictionary.

2 Likes

I do not even know what those things are supposed to mean.

What do you mean by antecipate?

The SAT and GRE are tests in the US that have vocabulary components. Here are some examples:

There are also some dictionaries out there that focus on more difficult words that might be interesting. I used to read this one at an old job when there weren’t many customers around and there was nothing to do.

2 Likes

The fact that there aren’t nearly half as many words as you think if you know how to break them down… case in point:

yuy

Seriously? Which part? Seems straightforward to me… you said:

All I’m saying is…

Same capere as above; means you only need to know it once…

What do you mean by here? Seems oblivious.

“aren’t nearly half” =
“are not close to half” =
“are much less than half”

So: “There are much less than half as many words as you think”

Not an uncommon phrasing, but I see how it can look confusing. Does that make more sense to you now? :slight_smile:

He said: Here aren’t nearly half as many words as you think. Yes, I understand the sentence, but what does he means by “here”? Is his implicating I suppose there are a number X of words contained in that website, but in reality there is pretty much less than half of what I think? The “here” doesn’t make sense.

In previous quotes it was “there”, not “here” - I assumed a letter was lost?

Yup, thanks… sorry, happening during quoting. I’ll do an edit of the post.

Talking about there/here makes about as much sense as me telling you that it should be is instead of are because number X is singular; the fact that they are (in fact, “it is”) “of” as plural is irrelevant. Wanna join the actual discussion again…

Do you see my point, now that I’ve given you the examples anticipate and participate? The root word “capere” has the same meaning in both of them.

1 Like

Would you be kind to tell me where I can find such function as in that screenshot? Seems like Google translator for sure but I couldn’t find it there

Actually, just regular google search…

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!
That’s a cool one, I like to check etymology of words.
Also just figured out there is a “Word coach”

Btw, that worked for me opposite direction. English really helped me not to struggle a lot learning Latin. Just saying :slight_smile: