The Millenium PAO in the actual knowledge

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you how to use the Millenium PAO in the actual knowledge?

Do we need Method of Loci to use it productively?

I hope we make brainstorm here, unless it was already discussed.

This movie inspired me: video

Anything containing numbers can be memorized with a number system, of which a millennium PAO is one.

With a normal PAO (100 Persons, 100 Actions, 100 Objects) you can memorize 6-digit numbers in a single image. A full Millennium PAO (1000 Persons, Actions and Objects, so 3000 and not 2704 like in the video) allows you to memorize 9-digit numbers in a single image. That is its advantage. Most people actually prefer an incomplete M-PAO, the one I hear about most often being 1000 persons, 100 actions and 1000 objects, so useful for 8-digit numbers. The one with 2704 images is also an adaptation of the M-PAO aimed at cards.

A few sidenotes that I don’t agree with in the video:

• The method of Loci is not worse than PAO systems, it is like a foundation. Sure you can use a house without a foundation, but it will be very instable when you start using it. Much like when you use PAO, if you have nothing to store the things you memorize (in this case PAO images for the numbers you want to memorize), it will fail. Surely there are other options, you can turn the images in a story or use pegs, but it still comes down to that you need something.
    He is right in that you need a new palace each time for new things, but once you learn to make them, you will find them everywhere.

• it is not per se an evolution everyone has to go through. There are many people who never make an M-PAO system, some never even make a PAO system and just stick with persons (which doesnt have to be created with the major system per se)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Mayarra.

Personally I think that we are usually “blind” for possibilities of PAO (and M-PAO) systems. We think that if the image indicates particular digits - it is only for memorizing numbers then. I’d like to discuss something wider here. How to use Millenium PAO in memorizing vocabulary, or learning biology?
As you probably know Katie Kermode uses “persons” in locations (loci), which according to her is very helpful. Some other people do it as well. - So it is the first way how to use M-PAO in order to improve memorizing.
Maybe we could create a huge journey using our images in order to remember poetry thanks to M-PAO?
Should we mix M-PAO and Method of Loci and use it together? Or maybe some kind of patterns instead of Method of Loci? Although, we need to know where we put our knowledge.

If you have an idea on how you would like to do that, feel free to post it :slight_smile: You would definitly not be the first to do that though, people have used PAO systems for vocabulary (or at least for made-up words) more often. For biology I am not too sure how it would work without making it more complex, but if you have a thought on that, do post.

What do you mean exactly here?
If you mean that she puts the persons corresponding to certain numbers at loci to remember them, that has been done here for ages already.

If you mean using the images from our M-PAO as places to put words of a poem, that is already being done in peg systems.

We already do. :slight_smile:

We also do that already too. :slight_smile:

I have just such ideas in my mind - actually that it’s just possible :slight_smile:
I don’t have certain ideas on particular subjects, just these general ones.
I wanted to create this topic, because I couldn’t find something similar and to be it in one place.

I’m willing to know something more about Millenium PAO, not just what it is. I’m creating my own, but I don’t to have it only for numbers. Then, maybe you know any sources which allow to read about it? :slight_smile:

I recommend you try PAO and compare it to other systems in smaller scales in practice (if you haven’t already) so you can be sure PAO really is your thing before committing with building this huge system.
This was the very first thing I did and found out that even liking the idea of PAO I did not enjoyed using it and it was slow for me, so I moved to a single image for each number 00-99, two per loci and it works very well for me.

If you tested and are absolutely sure you want PAO I recommend you start with 00-99 and stay with it for a while until you are ready/ feeling the need to expand. Ed Cooke started expanding to a Milennium PAO when he was already a grandmaster so there is plenty of ground a 00-99 PAO can cover before needing more.

Good luck :slight_smile:

No, I have a fixed person in each location in addition to whatever image is being stored there.

3 Likes

Hi, the movie returns ’ movie not available’. Can you give us some idea of the movie or title? Thanks Mark I.

I updated the top post so that the video works now.

Thanks

Hi Katie, obviously this reply’s a bit late to the party.

I’ve been teaching a friend at work how to memorise cards, and showed her PAO & journey method for that. She said that she has a fixed person in each loci as well, which I don’t, so it’s an innovation that she’s brought to my basic instructions, which I love. For her, the person is either involved in the PAO image somehow, or reacts to the scene playing out in front of them.

I wonder if you could tell me what purpose your fixed person has in your loci? And do your fixed people overlap with people who feature in your PAO system?

All the very best.

Sam

Hi Sam,
That’s interesting. I think a few people have come up with this independently.

I don’t use PAO, so when memorising numbers I have 2 objects in each location, which get associated with the fixed person. (Some objects are people but this is rare.) This means I don’t have to rely on pure visualisation - there’s also the “meaning” of the person interacting with the objects. The fixed people also help me remember the journey in the first place, which I previously found hard.

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes