The Memory Arts - "comic" book pre made memory path system for remembering playing cards.

(Lord Wallmotto) #1

Hello!

Being a hobbyist magician as well as a memory enthusiast I recently came a cross a book that I found quit interesting while browsing a magic-site with products for magicians.

It is a book aimed towards magicians to help remember “stacked decks” for magic tricks. However, I found the memory system used quit interesting and I would like to hear your thoughts about if this system would have potential for speed memorization.

The book provides a system that either contains 26 or 52 images that forms a “memory path”.

Each image looks like the number of the path that it corresponds to. E.g. Location 1 is a tower in a field that looks like numer 1, location 2 is a swan in a lake that looks like a 2 etc.

Each image/location is then divided into a four part grid where the top-left is for clubs, top-right for hearts, bottom-left for spades and bottom-right is for diamonds.

The cards that one places in the different locations corresponds with different images, e.g. Ace is a large creaming face, 4 is a large door, etc.

Do you think that this is a system that could be used for speed memorization? Im using the Dominic-system right now, but tried out this system just for fun and could do it quit fast. However, I do not know if it has any greater potential.

Best wishes,
Lord_Wallmotto

Do any magicians use mnemonics in their card tricks?

You could try it to see if it helps you in some ways if the price was not an issue at $50. It does look like a lot of efforts had gone into creating the book, so I applaud their efforts for this but the price tag still put me off.

It looks good if you are a beginner, and if you are into doing some tricks with it.
However you can create your own palaces by simply using many places that you may already know very well.

As for speed, it does come with a lot of practice regardless of the system you use.
I started off with the Dominic system, I still have the characters, but a lot of the characters didn’t have any special action or a prop, so it was hard to create a Person action link and was very slow for me. Now I use number shape objects that has almost a self-explanatory action and sounds. Such as Egg for zero, it can crack, it has yolk that can run down on the next object and so on. With a lot of practice I got better and better. So the idea here is what system you are comfortable with and how much time can you put into practicing to improve speed.

(Lord Wallmotto) #3

Thank you for answering my question!

I bought the E-book which was like $25 and I’m quit happy with my purchase, the price is still a bit high though.

What intrigued me was the “Grid system”, in which each image is divided into a four part grid, one square for each suit. If you learn the system well it seems like it could work great for memorizing a deck of cards quit fast. Very easy to remember.

I will try it out and see how it goes.

Best wishes
Lord_Wallmotto

Grid system seems interesting.
What’s in each square and how does it help to memorise fast?
is it one card at a time or PA?

Keep us updated with your practice, see if it helps for speed.

(Lord Wallmotto) #5

The system works like this:

1. The “pre-made” memory path consists of 26 (or 52) pictures. Each picture represents a number (e.g. picture 1 is a tower in a field that looks like the number 1, picture 5 is a waterfall that looks like a 5 etc. (The images are very vivid and easy to remember)

2. Each picture is then divided into a 4 part square grid. Top left is for spades, top right for hearts, bottom left for clubs, bottom right for diamonds.

3. Each card is represented by a image. Ace is a face, Six are bricks, etc.

So in practice, it would work like this:

If the first card is the Ace of Spades, You “mentally” place/remember a face in the top left corner in picture 1, and then move on to the next card.

Hope that’s clear enough.

Best wishes,
Lord_Wallmott

(Lord Wallmotto) #6

From my very short experience with the system, it seems like one could at least memorize one deck very fast with this system once you know it well as it requires very minimal effort to memorize each card once you know the system well.

(but that is true for all systems, almost)

(Christian Fitzharris) #7

I struggled with memorizing a stack for years using the method in, “Mneumonica” and later others. The Memory Arts technique looks cool. After years of frustration, one mind palace using cards as celebrities put it in my mind in hours. Recall rehearsal did the rest. I will say, others have struggled using the loci technique, to my concern. Magicians I teach on Inside Deception have had difficulty. The Trustman’s $50 price is nothing to a magician who spent YEARS struggling with memorizing a 52 card stack. I am proof. We go over it when I was interviewed by Anthony Metivier. The Trustman’s book looks worth every penny just for the visual nature alone. It’s great to see visuals in memory books these days! Nelson Dellis’ book and this one. Brains are picky! Cheers! My talk with Anthony Metivier here!

Although the system outlined in the book is probably good for lots of things, I think it is REALLY bad for doing stack work. The whole point of working with stacks is going to and fro between card value and position number as quickly and as easily as possible. This system forces you to do extra pointless calculations, that are easy to get wrong in performance. If they had given fifty-two locations rather than the “here’s half the number you actually need, so just use them twice” lazy effort they put out, I’d be recommending it to all my magic students, as it is, I’m strongly advising they avoid it (at least for this use).