The Disregard for Mnemonics

Thanks a lot ehcolston! I’ll give that website a look with the Reverse Polish Notation. Your method of memorizing the steps of solving the mathematical problems is a great idea. I’ll experiment with that too! Thank you!

The sad reality is that the people who deny them often use them without knowing they are using them. Every time you say, ‘www’ you are using a mnemonic in a small way.

I think it is valuable to memorize things you don’t understand.

Take poetry, for example. There are many wonderful reevaluations and gradients of meaning to be enjoyed over the years that cannot be achieved without the depth of contemplation memorization makes possible.

That’s poetry, but the same principle is true for chemistry, math, languages, etc. You simply cannot deepen your understanding without memorizing things you don’t understand. More levels of understanding are always yet to come in the future based on the groundwork laid in the present.

Echolston, I found your formula method very interesting. Would you be willing to walk through how you would memorize an equation? This method seems a LOT more effective than what I’m doing now, lol

Say we have the formula for converting degrees to radians: 1 deg=(π/180). You would make this formula memorable by first converting from infix notation (the way everyone writes problems) to Reverse Polish Notation (more commonly known as postfix notation). You can use converters to help aid the conversion process if necessary: http://www.mathblog.dk/tools/infix-postfix-converter/

Our formula in RPN would be: 1 deg = π 180 /

Using the chart given to us on the website, we would convert this formula as so:
B (custom image for degree) Y (custom image for pi) BKZ V

Lastly, we just come up with the appropriate story to memorize the formula:
a Bee flys into a candle (degree) and a Yeti with a pie (pi) on his head puts out the candle. He is wearing a pie on his head because he is a part of the BaKerZ of Venus organization.

After you create and memorize the story, it will be easy to recovert this story back to infix notation.

There you go. If you need further instruction, you can write more on this thread or just message me.

Merry Christmas!

Just posting here to say that my opinion has been changed about the topic. I now do think that memorizing things can be useful (and fun) even if you don’t understand what you’re memorizing at the moment you store it in your mind.
I’ve been playing with the memory palace for the past few months, and I find that it’s a wonderful tool for reviewing material(I’m a college student), and often, just memorizing one single image will make a spark in your mind and you’ll suddenly remember other things as well.

I was mistaken when I said that understanding is superior to memorizing. It’s not just one or the other, you can use both of them together in order to create a very meaningful reading/studying experience. I apologize if I came across as mean when expressing my old opinions, and also for my ignorance at the time. Peace

I’m glad you’re coming back on your word, I was going to post about my experience against “pure understanding” and I guess you could now relate a bit more.

When I was in college, I really understood mechanic phisycs… I really did… I slept through 90% of the classes and got 100% all the way with almost no studying. I understood the mathematics behind it, and how to apply them to phisycs.

… But 2 years later, I started coding video games and wanted to code some phisycs I to it… It was all gone…
I didn’t use either the maths or the physics in years , never did spaced repetition, didn’t have a long term memory storage solution… I was back at 0.

So now, years later , I’m starting to study maths again, going with both memory And understanding… And I hope I’ll never forget it again.

Hello
ehcolston

The link (memorycityblog.com) doesn’t seem to work anymore… Can you fix it please?

Also it seems that you have a lot experience and interesting ways of using memory palace in college subjects…
Could you give more and more examples in different subjects…It would be very beneficial

Thank you

Unfortunately, the website was taken down, and thus the links no longer work :(. Thankfully with time and experimentation, I think I developed a method that works better for me when it comes to memorizing equations.

Besides math, I’ve been using mnemonics to memorize programming.
Memorizing syntax is the easiest part of using mnemonics for this subject, and I’m pretty confident you can probably do it without my help. The hard part is memorizing coding examples. When using mnemonics to memorize programming, you often don’t want to memorize all the code, just a small snippet that will represent the main idea of what you want to do. To make this even easier, I often translate the code into my own personalized pseudocode so I can memorize the concepts even easier. In fact, I find that translating a coding example you want to memorize into pseudocode makes transitioning into other languages much easier, as you can usually easily translate a program’s logic into any programming language you wish.

Hope this helps.

ehcolston

PS: Sorry this took so long, I’ve been very busy lately.