Tell me about PAO and card decks again?

[This thread was copied here from the old forum.]

kbjeff 18 August, 2012 - 18:32

Hi guys,

I thought I had this through my thick skull, but can’t seem to remember the strategy. I now have my full PAO grid filled in and thoroughly memorized. Now I’d like to re-use it for card decks.

So, I get that I’ll need to pick 4 “tens place” for the number cards and suits. For example, maybe I say:

01-09 = ace - nine of spades
11-19 = ace - nine of diamonds
41-49 = ace - nine of hearts
71-79 = ace - nine of clubs

Might seem kind of arbitrary, but I’m just using the major system for the tens place:
Spades
Diamonds
heaRts
Clubs

So, what am I supposed to do about all the face cards again?

Thanks!
Jeff

Hype 19 August, 2012 - 05:52

For me, I just extended the range a bit to include the 10s and face cards.

Clubs = 21 - 33 = Ace to King
Diamonds = 41 - 53
Spades = 61 - 73
Hearts = 81 - 93

But if I was you and you want to stick to these ranges, I’d let the _0 part of the suit = 10.

For example, your 10 of Spades would be 00, your 10 of Hearts would be 40.

For the face cards, just give them whatever image you want, it can be completely arbitrary if you wish. Or you could come up with some new kind of code. Such as King = people whose names start with K, Queen = strong female figures, Jack = people named Jack.
That kind of thing.

kbjeff 19 August, 2012 - 06:57

Got it, that makes sense, thanks!

Now that I think about it more, I’m probably going to take a slightly different approach. We say, “Ace of Spades” and “4 of Clubs”… not “Spades Ace” or “Clubs 4”.

So, I think I’ll avoid that extra mental flip flop and do it this way:

10 = Ace of Spades (ace=1, 0 = spades)
47 = 4 of clubs (4 = 4, 7 = clubs)

Next up, I’ll take a look at arbitrarily picking face cards… I guess that only leaves 12 cards to rote memorize.

outlawyr 19 August, 2012 - 10:29

You should read through this thread for some additional ideas and strategies.

There are two primary approaches here:

1. put all cards, including face cards, in the PAO. This requires two numbers for each suit, one for the regular cards and one for the face cards. That’s the approach I used.

2. put all but the face cards in the PAO, then create a separate system for the face cards.

Either way, I agree with the above. Make 10 = 0. Ace = 1. So you’ll just be left with 12 cards, the Jack Queen and King of each suit to deal with.

For me, really the hardest part was getting my brain used to having the suit first, the number second. So 01 is Spades Ace, which of course one normally calls Ace of Spades.

Good luck and let us know what system you settle on.

kbjeff 20 August, 2012 - 12:29

After much thought, it seems like it would be most efficient to come up with a new set of 12 images for the face cards rather trying to shoehorn them into my 00-99 PAO in some artificial way.

My King of Clubs will be Tiger Woods golf-swinging a golf ball… that seems like a gimme.

What other very obvious ones can you folks think of for the remaining 11?

Note: I am making my full list public for others to benefit from.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

outlawyr 20 August, 2012 - 12:52

I just read one of Dominic O’Brien’s books and he breaks face cards down into categories. Hearts for people (celebrities) associated with love (so the romantic leads in movies), Spades (upside down heart) for villains, clubs for violent types, and diamonds for rich people. If I recall correctly, his King of Diamonds was Bill Gates, King of Clubs Mohamed Ali, King of Hearts was Cary Grant, King of Spades Darth Vader. He then associated an action and prop with each one.

Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

Richie_UK 28 August, 2012 - 03:06

Hi Jeff,

Like you I used 00-99 for the bulk of the cards and then separate links for the face cards. My face cards were as follows (you’ll notice I had a golf link in Clubs too):

Clubs
Jack: Jack Black, Queen: Anneka Sorenstam, King: Captain Caveman

Diamonds
Jack: Jack Ruby, Queen: Elton John, King: Neil Diamond

Hearts
Jack: Robin Williams (from film Jack), Queen: Miranda Richardson, King: Chistian Barnard

Spades
Jack: Jack Russell, Queen: Tchaikovsky, King: Arthur Scargill