Subconscious Mind

What is the subconscious mind

2 Likes

I copied-pasted your exact question in Google. I got several pages of answers.

4 Likes

It refers to the parts of your thinking and motivations that you don’t know about.

Example: you’re playing a card game like poker, and every time you’re doing well you scratch your nose. You aren’t aware that you’re scratching your nose (you’re doing it subconsciously) but the other player notices it and beats you in the game because they can observe your subconscious behavior to see when you’re bluffing.

3 Likes

People here may have opinions on the subject but this is not a psychology or psychiatric forum. I’m not aware that anyone here has those credentials. Why not do some reading on psychology sites?

1 Like

I thought this would be very easy to define, yet it really wasn’t. I don’t even truly agree with the textbook definition or wiki :
" The unconscious mind (or the unconscious ) consists of the processes in the mind which occur automatically and are not available to introspection and include thought processes, memories, interests and motivations."

“Empirical evidence suggests that unconscious phenomena include repressed feelings, automatic skills, subliminal perceptions and automatic reactions, and possibly also complexes, hidden phobias and desires”

It’s basically telling me that you can consciously make subconscious memories.

2 Likes

@Nagime
Yes, but you can’t consciously control what the subconscious brain then does with those memories. It’s confusing, but we don’t know much about the brain right now. I’m sure as the study of the human brain advances, we will understand more.

1 Like

sigh
Do some research on google first. When you are done, come back to this forum and post a more detailed question, with some basic knowledge in your belt.

1 Like

Bart Simpson:
Uh, Dad?

Homer Simpson:
What?

Bart Simpson:
What is the mind? Is it just a system of impulses? Or is it something tangible?

Homer Simpson:
Relax. What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!

3 Likes

Mind over matter?

1 Like

Check out the definition of subconscious mind that Neville Goddard elaborates, and its relationship with the conscious mind, in Feeling it’s the secret.

Blockquote

The conscious generates ideas and impresses these ideas on the subconscious; the subconscious receives ideas and gives form and expression to them.

The conscious impresses the subconscious, while the subconscious expresses all that is impressed upon it.

The subconscious does not originate ideas, but accepts as true those which the conscious mind feels to be true and, in a way known only to itself, objectifies the accepted ideas.

The subconscious transcends reason and is independent of induction. It contemplates a feeling as a fact existing within itself and on this assumption proceeds to give expression to it. The creative process begins with an idea and its cycle runs its course as a feeling and ends in a volition to act.

Ideas are impressed on the subconscious through the medium of feeling.

No idea can be impressed on the subconscious until it is felt, but once felt - be it good, bad or indifferent - it must be expressed.

Feeling is the one and only medium through which ideas are conveyed to the subconscious. Control of your feeling is all important to a full and happy life.

Blockquote

1 Like

:confused:

2 Likes

You can consciously make a subconscious memory.

Then you can no longer control what you are doing with that specific memory but can freely make use of it, meeting it’s conditions while it remains subconscious.

It just sounds like this is simple “memory” , like there is no subconscious. It’s just straight cued memory and priming. As though subconscious memory is a definition for ‘strong memory’.

Not sure if transcends is the right word…

1 Like