Stuck with reality in your memory palace, limiting speed of imaginary movements

There is no way I will get some sleep any time soon, as the neighbours are still shooting fireworks like it’s the 4th of july. So I might as well create another (short this time) post.

Here we go.

Imagine you are in your memory palace and there is a flagpost that you want to go around to get to the next location really fast, what do you do? Well, what I do is holding on to te flagpost and swing around it (or use a rope to to the same; method used in some Batman movie that I don’t remember).

Why?

Well, because in the simulation, that is the memory palace, the laws of nature still apply to some extend. Put in another way: it is easier to work with these laws than it is to brake them completely.

speed limit

Being somewhat stuck with reality in the memory palace (or in your imagination in general) leads to an interesting question: is the speed of moving (not teleporting) in the memory palace limited by this, or is the computing speed of the brain the ultimate determining factor?

Imaginary journeys obey the general laws of physics as a result of our real-world experience, not because of any computational limits of the brain. Thus, all things being equal, to traverse a longer distance takes more time than a shorter distance in reality.

As the mind’s experience with travel comes from reality, the mind’s imagination also takes longer to travel a longer distance versus a shorter one.

It’s limited by this to some extent because for example, you can visualise a dog jumping over the fence very quickly but it takes a lot of effort to visualise them jumping over the fence at the speed of sound or faster.

This example is interesting because part of the simulation is gravity (the part of coming down from the fence height), which is a constant force (on earth) always resulting in an acceleration of 9,8 meter/second. Running or flying speed on the contrary come in different quantities in the real world, so the brain has been given (by natural selection) more flexibility with regard to the simulation of these speeds.

In order to battle this stickyness of reality I usually try to hack the system by pretending that gravity for example isn’t doing the primary work when something comes down to the ground; in the example of the jumping dog it could be that his leash gets stuck on the fence and his running speed results in an equally fast half circle motion (like batman going around a streetlight super fast with his batmobile using a rope). Other ways of overcoming this problem is the use of imaginary energy buildups like in “Dragon ball Z”, so that the releasing of that energy results in an explosive acceleration.

1 Like

Why do you even? I mean, it is your imagination, imagine you are the Flash or Goku, don’t limit your imagination it is not worth to do. If it is hard for you to imagine, then try going running, then as if you are in a car, then imagine a bird (though goes slower than a car at times) and see it falling.

Indeed, one if not the most important imagination exercise is to visualize objects appearing and moving super fast, and you or the perspective from which you see in your imagination; imagine high speed. Look for references. Though technically, “super speed” is an illusion but you’d see the destination much faster, that is if you struggle to go fast from place to place. However everybody has a different imagination, maybe I’m just talking for me.

Edit: I don’t get the question.

If I’m getting what you are saying correctly, it is better to “simply” make something move really fast despite the resistence resulting from the laws of nature that are part of the basic programming of your brain, than it is to make the high speed in a way that does not go against these laws. I don’t think this is true, but I can’t prove it.

imagine high speed. Look for references.

If I look for references of things that for example go around a flagpost really fast I get:

• a monkey that graps the flagpost with one hand and swings around it:
  • a bal that is rolling in curved space (like a glass tube);

By moving like these objects, I’m essentially working in accordance with the laws of nature and not against them.

The real problem (I imagine) with speed, which I probably should have been more clear about, is not speed in moving from A to B in a straight line (that’s easy), but speed in combination with changes of direction and in curves.

It would seem the basic point is getting murky. Increasing your speed of travel in a journey does not reduce the distance.

No matter what speed you are traveling in reality (or imagining), it still takes longer to travel farther.

So why don’t you just add enough gravity… you know, for the curve to become a straight line… in accordance with the laws of nature and all.

I don’t know how the dog can jump over a fence in a straight line. If you mean he travels in a triangle pathway over the fence, than I don’t see what gravity has to do with it, since it no longer resembles jumping, but more flying. I don’t think we humans are very well equipped with the ability to manipulate gravity in our mind (not counting the use of mathematics).

In my experience, imagination seems Limitless. But it takes faith and the struggle of enough practice, according to the difficulty.

I used to not be able to go through my memory palaces in any other way than I I would in real life. That was way too discouraging after a while!

But I made more and more effort to go faster, to fly to zoom out, etc.

Thinking of this last trick, to zoom out and see more and more locations at a time. First I could only see three four locations at once, now I can see lot more.

Another trick, jumping : at first , it took me tons of practice to get to jump from one location to the other no matter how far the other is. now takes a lot less practice. And a lot more is possible.

Another trick is to switch gravity off, it’s not instant, but after enough practice, it happens, for me and I like to believe Im not special, so for many others also

With these experiences and many other,

It is clear now that the possibilities can be treated as being endless and imagination Limitless…

but not instantly.

There’s clearly as much learning , practice , exploration, to be done and the more of that is done, the farther imagination goes, and vice versa.

At least in my experience.

But the winner to go faster while going through every piece of the palace is for now the zooming out and eye saccading.

I think we are not far apart in our views. We both seem to agree, that there is something to overcome, namely the tendency of the brain to apply the laws of nature in our imagination and that with a lot of practice we can abandon the restrictions resulting from this.

1 Like