Stress on cognifive performance and how to manage stress

I was thinking that one of the reasons that someone might become increasingly better at an endeavor that demands a reasonable cognitive labor is that one’s stress response to that would diminish increasingly so one would handle better the endeavor.

Just like muscles are to myostatin just like cognitive performance is to stress (sketchy example but okay).

Also I was thinking about a sort of stoic or “be like watar my friend” wise strategy that came into my mind that works like this:

When you cannot avoid a situation caused by someone in which is causing you stress but you can fight back it by causing distress into that person, outsmart your distress by inflicting distress into that person and feel pleasure by doing it. It looks perverted, but sometimes you have to take some measures in order to preserve your integrity.
Hope you come up with more decent ideas or at least put my idea on the right words.

So the point of the topic is: How can someone become less stressed to its “maximum potential” and adapt to situations just like in the aforementioned paragraph? PS: I have a bad regard at books people who belong to communities regarding things such as becoming alpha male and redpill recommend like “The Subtle art of not giving a f*ck”.

Thanks.

I’m not sure if I’m understanding your post, but I think revenge usually won’t end up with the desired result, and it isn’t very stoic:

“The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.”

— Marcus Aurelius

Revenge usually leads to more stress for everyone. People will learn not to trust you, because they will see that you’re vindictive and might retaliate against them for perceived sleights, even if the sleights were misunderstandings or cognitive distortions (in addition to all the other problems with it).

Some people might put up with that kind of behavior, but you’ll probably drive away good people and end up in worse positions in life in the long run.

A few things that help me with stress are:

• Playing music — if you don’t already play an instrument, guitar is easy to learn and is probably one of the best investments anyone can make in life.
  • Exercise — for people who can’t go out during the pandemic, HIIT might be worth researching
  • or any task that you can get lost in (programming is another one for me)

Search the Web for “exercise and stress” or “music and stress” and there will probably be some articles about it.

2 Likes

Revenge, a common thing that happens. If using a very minor and carefree example. If someone knows you can’t handle chili and then puts chili in your food when you aren’t looking. You eat it, get somewhat stressed, decide you will pay them back with their own medicine and do it to their own meal, as they also can’t handle chili.

Sure enough you may feel satisfied seeing them suffer. This however only works when you succeed. That means you will feel conflicted until it succeeds, unable to continue with most of what you would normally do otherwise. Particularly in a more extreme example, you will be engaging risks to acquire revenge, perhaps painstakingly long amounts of effort just to see someone else’s suffering so you can feel schadenfreude. From a non-moral perspective it is highly inefficient and carries many risks. Morally, clearly it is the wrong thing to do. In even more extreme examples, achieving revenge is unlikely to make up for any of the losses and simply puts you in the same position as the person you likely despise in the first place.

There are a lot of ways to avoid being stressed, that don’t involve harm or risks but may not exactly be right. There are ways that are right but not perhaps most effective. For example you can decide to turn the stress into something positive that may equally so be a bit condescending. Using the earlier example, when you ate food with the added chili in it, you could have told yourself something silly like

sample A

‘This person is really awkward, they admire me so much that they don’t know what to do to get my attention but put chili in my food.’

When you think of it like this, you can hardly feel stressed or think about seeking revenge and this is a very much mild example. You would start laughing at them when they are causing you stress if you make yourself believe they have different intentions, after-all you don’t know their actual intentions.

The more ‘core’ point, is that you will feel very different, all depending on what you think about the situation. When a stressful situation is present, you can talk yourself into making it neutral or positive.

Aside from this, it is possible to get better control of your feelings to avoid overreacting in the moment through training or to inhibit your feelings when stressful things are mentioned. Equally so, it is possible to let out some of your stress through exercise. From my experience, particularly when your long-term retention is good, the only thing that really ‘fixes’ the stress given that it is not resolved, would be to actually overwrite it.

I have heard many people say that they forget stressful events over time but this never works for me. Personally, I simply resolve them, if I can’t, then I overwrite them, otherwise, if I recall them and in some cases even if I do not, they will continue to bother me.

2 Likes

I meant pestering, but thinking well it fits on revenge. Revenge by constant pestering someone each time when something that is happening over and over again happens again.

Well I think you are right. Instead of revenge the answer must be resilience, or stoicism, in which I consider to be a less effeminate word.

I have a problem with that approach because making yourself to think you are taking the situation at easy DOES NOT mean the problem is not there. So you create a coping mechanism that is a lie; it will submit you into a submissive position in relation to the problem and you would become a douchebag. By further reinforcement of that habit and the coping mechanisms one would further get more entrapped into that problem.

An example of that would be monks or woke people with messiah complex that neurolinguistically program themselves into believing they are peaceful through self hypnotic narratives, when actually things are not okay and they just are not virile enough to face their problems.

I think the point is knowing how to actually solving the problem and letting your emotions such as anger flowing genuinely.

Once I have heard a motto that goes like that:

“A real man does not avoid conflicts.”.

Thinking that a problem is there, does not mean it is actually there either. One may be mistaking or unaware of crucial information. Particularly, when in relation to others being the cause of this problem.

The point is more so that you are not bothered because there is an actual problem but by what you think/feel about the problem. Using your example :

You state

That is why it would bother you to be one of these monks.

Not because it actually is a problem.

Solving the problem is one thing but letting your emotions flow genuinely is going to cause a lot of stress and downsides.

sample

If you get angry at someone, and punch them, you could simply go to jail for the consequence of your actions. Let me put it another way, some people are incapable of controlling their emotions, so they lash out and let them flow genuinely, often at the expense of them becoming criminals. If for example you let your emotions freely flow, say you wanted this expensive thing from the store, you may on impulse take it. If you then get caught, you will also feel remorse being aware that stealing is bad in terms of your own core values. Your emotions may overpower you in such a way that in the moment you are not aware that stealing is bad if you are unable to control your emotions.

If you put it this way,
“Being unable to tolerate your emotions, is the habit of the weak”
“Real men don’t complain”

If of-course, you want to be able to tolerate your emotions, rather than inhibit them or comfort them, in this case you can simply endure even more distressing emotions in the same way that you build muscle through training. It doesn’t really sound like you want to do something as weak-spirited as letting out your emotions on a target for some quick escape.

Makes sense. Stuff must be pondered.

It is. If a subject establish oneself into a submissive position by avoiding solving his problems, then this is a problem.

I mean being aware of your emotions. An opposite action would be creating coping mechanism. There was a misunderstanding here.

Ah ya but sometimes we have blind spots and some stress and hardships are not worthy to pass through and they would not accrue at aught for oneself.