Strange memory

Hi. Last 3-4 years I developed a problem with my memory. I can’t remember what I read about 10 seconds earlier. Sometimes if I try a lot I can recall it after 20-30 secs. For example, when I read a paragraph, after 3 to 4 sentences I forget the first one. Also even if I like and understand the topic completely after some time I forgot what I understood. I tried memory palace and worked, also other techniques and I find them pretty easy too but they are really inefficient. What is the fastest way to remember what I read and then store a part of it or the conclusion of it( main themes, or some important information) to the long term?
Thank you.

P.S: Also, I forgot to mention that sometimes when I focus a lot or when I am in a good mood I don’t have this issue.

2 Likes

@alaranem welcome to the site. I think you’ve answered your own question in a way, focus is the key, you must focus on what you are reading in order to understand and retain the information. Aside from that, I find that highlighting key words in each sentence and using those words in a pegged list or memory palace will help you retain the knowledge for much longer than 20 seconds. Good luck

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

I think I’ve also struggled with the same problem for a while. Specifically while reading some hard topics with lots of abstract meanings, concepts. And I think a solution for this is marking key words or ideas on the go and searching rather for images, like a symbol for these key ideas, or analogies, something similar and easy to imagine. Situations, concepts that you already know etc. Emerge some feelings for it. Those symbol-images and analogies don’t need to be strictly accurate. You don’t even need to try keep all of them at the same time in your head, it will help sticking pieces to you working memory and solve a whole puzzle.
That was easier to say that you need to make topic’s ideas much more easier and digestable for yourself.
Also, knowing why you need to read this text is important. Check a table of contents, sections and its titles. May be there is an abstract for this text.

If it’s really a hard one then taking notes will definetly help too.

1 Like

Thank you.