Starting With A Good Foundation?

Hi all, I’ve been studying mnemonic techniques but have yet to apply them. I want to start with a strong foundation. Thus, I have some questions.

• When going on a “journey” through my memory palace, do I actually need to travel? Couldn’t I just stand in the middle of a room, and look toward each sequential locus?

• Do I really need a different locus for each variable that I’m try to remember? For example, if each locus was a desk with 8 drawers, then I could just have the variable jump out of a different drawer each time. In which case, what would be better:

• Going through the 1st drawer of each locus before opening the 2nd drawer?
    • Or, going through all the drawers of a locus before moving on to the next locus?
  • If it is bad to have multiple variables for a single locus, why so?

• If I have different memory palaces/rooms, is it okay to have that room structured precisely the same way except maybe they’d just be a different color, or maybe they’d just have different locus objects in the same positions?

You could indeed do that yes. Travelling is useful when getting to know a new palace, in known palaces I usually teleport from locus to locus.

The problem with that is the similarity of the loci. There is a big chance you will get confused, as the 8 loci are compeletely the same. Basically you put 8 things on the same locus then, trying to keep that all in your head and keep that order right is more annoying than with different loci, as it will work confusing (“did I put the cow in the third drawer, or the fourth?”). If you want to use that, it is advisable to use markers. For example, first drawer is normal when you open it, second drawer is on fire, third drawer is frozen, etc.

can you explain what you mean here? I don’t really get it.

Different loci can do, but the same loci in different colors tend to have mixed results. To some it works, to others it don’t.

Practice is the best teacher. I understand the feeling to want to be prepared, but when you start practicing, a lot of questions will answer themselves.

I am also relatively new to memory techniques. I still consider myself a beginner as I have only been trying to use memory palaces and other techniques for about six months. I had some of the same hang-ups as you when I started. I was trying to figure out the “best” way to do it before I tried it with the idea that I didn’t want to develop bad technique in the beginning.

I can now tell you that the best thing to do is just to start trying it. You will quickly see what works for you and what does not. It seems from your question that you are trying to store a lot of information in the memory palace. I assume this is for efficiency. Another newbie observation — don’t overcomplicate things to start. Just stick with practicing a more simple memory palace. Then another one. Once you are comfortable doing this, then you can move on to more complex concepts such as storing multiple pieces of information in a single locus.

I recently discovered these threads and found them helpful. You might like to read them to get an idea of how to address the problem of storing a lot of information in a single memory palace.

Good luck!

@Mayarra
“If you want to use that, it is advisable to use markers. For example, first drawer is normal when you open it, second drawer is on fire, third drawer is frozen, etc.”
Ah! Good advice, thanks!

“can you explain what you mean here? I don’t really get it.”
I was just again referring to storing multiple pieces of information at 1 locus (e.g. desk with drawers). You answered it already, no worries.

@ptken
Understood, I’ll get to practicing, I appreciate the encouragement! :slight_smile:

As long as you link the items together, you can store multiple images per locus. For speed memorization most people store 2-3 images per loci so it definitely works.

I am just beginning. But I think multiple images per locus is easier. You make the images interact with each other. That makes it more memorable and recall is easier.