Spoken numbers in Memory League

Perhaps a “spoken numbers” section could be added to Memory League. Spoken numbers is often also part of competition correct?

1 Like

That would seem to be correct according to this link:

Here’s a quote from that link:

• Spoken numbers, read out one per second
1 Like

The forum already provided this.
Look for spoken number:

2 Likes

I think it should be added to memory league as well. More people would see and use it.

Although I love Spoken Numbers, I don’t see this happening, for a very simple reason: the traditional format of Spoken Numbers is not aligned with the Memory League format of (1) memorising a limited quantity of something as fast as possible AND (2) being lenient with errors. In Spoken Numbers the interval between digits is fixed at 1 second and (normally) you only count the digits until your first error (which is a unique trait compared to other number disciplines).

The only way to get around (1) is to make it possible to shorten the interval somewhat. Even so, you will still hit a hard lower limit at 0.5 second intervals because the numbers can’t be pronounced properly in such a short time. In the end they will appear to come out truncated. I know, because I have tried it myself with several different sound files when I was writing my own program for it back in the days. Good sound files need roughly 600-700 ms to play out.
To get around (2) is a bit easier. You could simply be more lenient with the scoring just like in all the other disciplines, but in my opinion, this is kind of removing what makes this discipline so unique in normal memory competitions.

2 Likes