Some of my favorite mnemonics

I’ve had my fair share of mnemonics and strategies over the years, including some I’ve created. Here are just some of my favorites.

Thirty days hath September,
April, June, and November.
When short February’s done (28/29),
All the rest have thirty-one. (The days in each month.)

Every four years, except every hundred, except every four hundred. (When are leap years? Those years which are divisible by 4, but not those divisible by 100, but not those those divisible by 400.)

My Very Evil Mother Just Served Us Nothing (Used to be Nine Pizzas. The order of the planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)

Radio Men Invented ROY G BIV’s Unusual X-Ray Glasses (The order of the electromagnetic spectrum from lowest to highest energy: radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light in order, ultraviolet, x-rays, gamma rays)

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, 1918 (The exact time when World War I ended)

(Twinkle Twinkle Little Star)
Three point one four one five nine
Two six five three five eight nine
Seven nine three two three eight four
Six and two and six and four (The first digits of pi - it doesn’t rhyme after this)

Ice Ever Grows Colder (The order of Jupiter’s large moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto)

MET DR. TI (The order of Saturn’s large moons: Mimas, Enceladus, Tethys, Dione, Rhea, Titan, Iapetus)

Mr. AUTO (The order of Uranus’s large moons: Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, Oberon)

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle (The order of the sharps in a key signature. To get the flats, reverse the mnemonic.)

Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me! (The order of the types of stars in decreasing temperature - O stars are the bluest and the hottest, while M stars are the reddest and the coldest)

Micro N P, FAZY (The order of the smaller metric prefixes after milli, each 1000 times smaller than the last: micro (abbreviated μ), nano, pico, femto, atto, zepto, yocto)

How far away is Mercury?
Fifty-eight million K I see.
And Venus at one hundred eight.
Earth’s one hundred fifty straight.
Mars two hundred twenty-eight.
Jupiter seven seventy-eight.
Now where will Saturn’s bright rings be?
One billion four hundred thirty three!
Uranus orbits far away
It’s two eight seven zero K!
Neptune’s four billion point five.
Pluto’s five billion point nine. (Orbital distance of the planets + Pluto, self mnemonic.)

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (The order of operations: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction.)

King Philip Came Over For Good Soup (Taxonomy: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.)

Camera Orbs See Disturbing Car Pressures, Those Juicy Creatures Plan New Questions (Order of the geologic eras: Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleogene, Neogene, Quaternary) (Still trying to learn this one I came up with, might need to come up with something better, maybe based on a memory palace for 12 items, like a clock face.)

There are probably more, but I can’t think of them right now.

9 Likes

No prob.

King George Died Monday Drinking Chocolate Milk

metric units of measure

When I was learning the countries and capitals I found had a few useful + memorable ones:

Croatia is shaped like a C and begins with it as well

Slow, Crow, Bomb, Ma
Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenergro
North to South

No Soup For Russians
Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia
West to East

Bulgaria: Sofia
Imagine a girl named Sophia with bulgy areas

Estonia: Tallinn
Imagine a tall inn made of stone

Moldova: Chișinău
What gets moldy? Cheese!

These are all kind of autistic ngl but they worked well enough for me

1 Like

Interesting mnemonics.

Here’s one of mine: New Zealand. Well… (Reminder that the capital is Wellington and not Auckland like I thought for a very long time.)

1 Like