Software [memorizing Microsoft Excel]

I use Microsoft Excel regularly and am constantly upskilling myself with its various functions and new features. I find that unless I use a particular function or feature fairly often, I tend to forget the syntax etc. and have to look up how to use it again. Wondering whether there’s anything that can be done from a memory training perspective to help recall/learn something which is not used everyday but it would be handy and efficient if it could be recalled more effectively.

1 Like

Do you know the names of the functions you need already or do you want to remember lists of functions by category?

Could you list the names of a few functions you want to remember?

1 Like

Hi Josh,

The more obscure ones like OFFSET and its associated syntax and the way that it is used in various situations.
Also combinations of functions like IF, MAX and INDEX.
I guess the other thing is remembering the steps to developing complicated charts.
I dabble a little with VBA which has its own language.

1 Like

I, too, have your same problem with all Office products and Windows itself

Unfortunately, the first solution I suggest will cost you money unless you may be associated with a school that already subscribes
What is nice with GMetrix is you can have various practice tests and situations, which if you do this on your own, you will soon feel drowned
I like to slowly work through Excel, Word, etc.with various questions and solution–I have no issue soon memorizing keystrokes,tests, etc. THIS IS WHAT I WANT! Actual spreadsheets are used and then unused. Ditto Word docs, PP, and so on are there when called for

Microsoft offers FREE training, which is excellent, but I prefer GMetrix way to stay fresh, while using Microsoft to learn if I did not already know

You can augment staying fresh, as well as learning, by solving Excel problems, on Microsoft Office Forums for the various Office products

I fully appreciate how you feel about this subject, because Memory Palaces, Linking, and so on, simply do not work with this situation
The only way to really remember Functions is through regular use
Fortunately, some work across Microsoft products, such Control + B for bolding

1 Like

I guess it’s like any new skill, unless you keep using it regularly, you forget the nuamces that make it work. The problem with Excel is that if you misplace a comma or bracket it just won’t work and there is a lot to remember.

1 Like

Perhaps you might want to check the forum for discussions about verbatim (word for word) memory.
The syntax of these kinds of things is detailed, and as suggested even a missing comma and the thing won’t work.
I suspect you would need a number of ‘standards’ for translating each element into a picture so that you can make a story, or put them in some kind of palace, etc. The standard for a comma, could be a person in a coma; the standard for a colon…well…not that hard to picture.

I would imagine that in this kind of case the pictures you make for each of the symbols become your words in the verbatim memory task. (Except of course for actual words such as SUM (the standard could be dim-sum.
Approaching the issue as a verbatim memory task might give you a chance of getting it in your head long enough to start translating it to long term memory. There may be a fair number of repeats, but given a unique enough environment for a journey etc., and you might find that repeats aren’t too bad.

1 Like

Unfortunately, regular use of a feature of an Office product is necessary
For example, with driving, I have noticed since retiring, as well as this virus mess, my first days driving, I had to “re-skill” this
With a bicycle, of course, I can still ride one, but I would need time to re-skill many of the subtle points to bike riding
Memorizing Functions, for example, is sleep inducing, plus so many variations to correct use, ditto, Search & Replace, Styles, etc.
I would honestly recommend trying GMetrix Office Product Study, because of the ease of using spreadsheets, etc., to study say Functions – Regularly go over the GMetrix test–YES, MEMORIZE TESTS, BURN THEM INTO YOUR MIND, SAY WITH SUM AND AUTOSUM

I have tried for years to discover a better method to learning Office products, so if you do, please share

1 Like