Since this is a brain related website, I would like to know if anyone of you suffers from "maladaptive daydreaming"?

Maladaptive day dreaming is a psychotic or maybe behavioral disorder acknowledged by professor Somer of Isreal.

In Maladaptive daydreaming, in short MDD, a person not only day dreams but acts out their dreams. He speaks, walks, laughs, does everything like he would in a real life situation. He creates imaginary friends, partners, has imaginary romance, conversations, even sex. It’s more than fantasy and less than schizophrenia.

I’m asking because I suffer. When I found out that it has a name, it was an eye opener. I looked up the sources and triggers, I could see why I was suffering with this problem.

In my case, sometimes I act as I’m talking to my family, talking to my classmates, talking in a YouTube video, having full on real life stimulation. I act as if I’m falling in love, have romantic conversations with an imaginary person in front of me, look into their eyes and do all these things that waste my valuable time and energy.

I’m quite lonely. I’ve been doing this for 4-5 years. Earlier I did this as am escape but not it’s become a habit. It is extremely distracting, extremely exhaustive and tiring. I go on and on daydreaming away my life for 5-6 hours, laughing, having imaginary conversations. Sometimes I fail to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

This cannot go on forever. I don’t like this at all. There are therapies for this in first world countries that I cannot afford here. I wish to suppress this disorder and push myself to be present in the moment.

Even when I’m doing anything in real life, a part of my brain is occupied in imaginary world. I keep daydreaming throughout the day. For example, I’m in kitchen. Doing something for my real family and I’d imagine having a quick chat and laugh with my imaginary partner.

You see, it’s sad. I’m a student. I should study. But I can’t push my brain to be in the “real world”. Even if I socialize and meet real people, I’d still “imagine my imaginary partner” and have conversation, romance, laugh with them.

Any idea or wisdom over this issue?

1 Like

‘MDD’: This condition causes intense daydreaming that distracts a person from their real life. Many times, real-life events trigger day dreams.

This was developed as a habit over 5 years. While I don’t have your condition, my day dreams can be very intense causing me to move impulsively or feel sensations similarly to when I am dreaming. As such I assume your issue is the result of not being able to control your day dreams. Something positive you can do is attempt to have your day dream help you study as a student, this will be easier than getting rid of it.

Meditating will help you control and filter out the MDD over time, which may lead to it ceasing.

Since you can’t get this treated its better to do things to get rid of it, the obvious thing you can do is spend time with friends which you can make(real friends). As you have said meeting people on its own doesn’t help, I would say you need to meet people you really like and get along with. Being lonely may have been the initial cause of this. I know its not the best thing when you have to study, hence I strongly advise you to try meditating.

2 Likes

This is the first time I have heard of this condition. I wonder if it would help to seek EEG neurofeedback therapy to learn to train your brain waves. People produce brainwaves in different patterns, as you probably know. Brainwaves are typically analyzed to see how a subject produces different frequencies (Theta, Delta, Alpha, Beta, Gamma). Alpha and Beta are common wavelengths when you are awake and attentive. Theta and Delta are typically indications of either sleep or daydreaming states. Some people may produce an excess of waves in the Theta frequency range, which is a fairly slow frequency. Neurofeedback training can help you become more aware of what is happening in your brain and gain more control. So, you might learn to reduce your Theta and (for example) increase your Beta or Alpha at times when you otherwise tend to go into your daydream mode.

If this is a subject you are interested in, you can look for neurofeedback professionals in your area. I recall that there are professional associations that you would want your professional to be a member of, just to make sure you are getting help from somebody with a real background. Caveat emptor.