Side effects from memory training

Hi,

Has anyone noticed any negative side effects of memory training? I feel my thinking has become a bit slower since I started using memory techniques.

Do you practice for speed? Maybe that would help. No idea.

1 Like

My memory performance is chronically affected by reviewing more than one thousand flashcards every day in different languages and also sleep deprivation. I have to confess that it may be just boredom.

1 Like

Sleep deprivation is a strong enemy for consolidating memories. Sometimes less is more. Following a free-renning sleep pattern (as much as I can) has been a game charger for me. I also de +1K daily reviews.

For my personal expirience, recall time for people’s name which I do not use any technique. I usually greet people as I am still recalling their name.

1 Like

There’s no negative effects of memory training. If there was memory athletes that hold new thousands of pieces of information within hours would notice mental injury’s and forget long term information and have cognitive difficulties .
It’s just when people adapt new information they struggle a bit to recall and retain all the information inside their mind .Its a good sign as it means that you are improving so don’t give up .So keep actively recalling new information .
Its like body builders pushing themselves. At first they cause trauma to their muscles and then let it rest then they repeat until they have the results they want.

1 Like

I think we should notice some positive effects:

• Increase in focus
  • Increase in creativity
  • Increased ability to learn
  • People will think you are super cool :sunglasses:
1 Like

Sleep is so underrated. Even getting slightly less sleep than one needs has a disastrous ability on concentration and learning, and especially creativity. You might be okay for the first two hours or so after getting up, but soon after that my mind becomes very lazy.

I read recently that pulling an all nighter does permanent damage to the brain, and makes dementia decades later more likely.

Would you care to expand on "following a free-running sleep pattern (as much as I can) has veen a game changer for me?

1 Like

Absolutely.
We get better powers of imagination and visualization and we get a sense of being in control of our own minds. We build impressive structures when we memorize packs of cards for example. It calls to mind building computer code.
I think we also get in the habit of breaking conventions privately within our brains. The strange, and sometimes rude or obscene or disrespectful images that we create (that Harry Lorayne calls “ridiculous images” have a good effect on our inner intellectual freedom.
In the Middle Ages some people complained that these images caused impious thoughts, and I would agree, but from an individual’s point of view, that is good. It’s a sign of free-thinking.
I have only used Harry Lorayne’s mnemotechnics lightly, e.g. maybe three packs of cards memorized in my whole life, and a few dozen telephone numbers. I have never used the heavily so I can’t comment on that. Someone should do a study.

1 Like

By free-running I mean going to sleep when I feel it is time, and wake up naturally so no alarm clock. In other words, following your circadian cycle . When to covid hit last year and I lost my main job I fully adapted this sleep pattern.

If you are interested in the topic, I suggest reading this article and related articles at the same webpage.

2 Likes

i will look at the article.

Do a lot of people into memorization follow a free-running pattern?

So what time to do you go to sleep, or does get later and later until you cycle right around the 24 hour clock and are going to sleep at the same time as at the start again?

How has is helped you?

1 Like

I read the article.

I could not understand the last part. What is the point of keeping a sleep log if you are not using an alarm clock to get up, nor using the clock to tell you when to go sleep. Do you use an alarm clock to limit your nap to 25 mins?

I could not understand the example sleep chart.

1 Like

I read this article: https://supermemo.guru/wiki/Formula_for_good_sleep:_free_running_sleep which I mostly understood but I could not understand the need or even the claimed importance of keeping a log of the times you are a sleep. Nor could I understand the chart at all. The horizontal axis is labelled “Arising time [h]” and the vertical axis is labelled “[h]”. So it is a plot of arising time in hours against something in hours, but what? I’m not the most mathematical guy in the world so I know that I may simply may not have studied it long enough, but I think it would be helpful if the author added an explanation. I did plot graphs at school and take the slope of the line of best fit and all that, so if I can’t understand this graph, I suspect there must be a good few other people who can’t. The talk/discussion page for the article has been disabled.

The reason is to know the optimal timing for napping and maximum alertness. Personally, I logged my sleep for some months and I stopped.

Free-running sleep never uses an alarm clock. My naps do no have a fixed duration or timing. Some days I do not nap.

1 Like

Absolute time in hours. The “clock” time. The X axis is the time you have been awaken. For example I get up at 9 am. Then at 11 am is 11 Y axis and 2 X axsis.

Some effects that have happened to me:

• Visualization ability is better overall
  • Can memorize extremely better without the use of mnemonics
  • Ability to use mnemonics gets markedly better every month or so
1 Like