Shadow system for persian language

Hello. I want to use the shadow system in Farsi but I still can’t understand the system very well and don’t know if the bin system is better or is it better?

1 Like

First let me thank you for asking this question. This question added one more system to my tool box and that is Shadow System. I browse through many pages on the Wiki over the years but have not stumbled on this system yet. So will be reading it thoroughly and will try to understand it. Subscribing to this thread as I will be interested in any discussion happening around this topic.

Another thing which brings me to this question is that this question is asked in context of learning a language. I am actively learning some additional languages and hence that has raised my interest also.

I believe you may have been referring to “the Ben system” in your original post. If so, it sounds like you’re considering two of the more advanced and demanding memory techniques in use today.

If you are just beginning with memory techniques, I’d encourage you to instead become familiar with the Linking method and the use of a “memory palace” for storing information/images. If you already have some experience with memory techniques, though, I would ask what is leading you to the Ben/shadow systems? Because I associate both of those with memorizing playing cards—particularly for memory competitions. To me, Dominic O’Brien has suggested a better approach for language learning: Using a memory journey based in a town or village where you can associate the words you’re learning with the relevant shops and activities. You can even divide the town in half if you need to distinguish feminine/masculine verbs.

I realize English isn’t your first language, so I don’t know how helpful this might be, but O’Brien explains his memory approach to language in several of his books, including How to Develop a Perfect Memory.

Bob

1 Like

It exists https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Shadow_System

It’s for cards. It goups cards in twos, then it stores the numbers of the cards in a major system. And creates a special major for the eight possible combinations of the suits of the cards.

So in total you encode two cards in a two digits major system and the special system for the suits of the cards. Instead of each card is a number in major.

I also can’t understand this system very well because the language of description is English and I can’t understand it even with online translators.

I know the basics of memory well and keep up with the words very well but in fact my problem is I can’t figure out how the shadow system works and I can use it in Farsi which is my native language. There is no one in Iran who can help me.

I researched the shadow system to understand it, I haven’t tried learning it, but I want to understand the main principle. Maybe this segment from the conversation between Nelson Dellis and Alex Mullen can help. Mindshow Nelson Dellis Alex gives a brief verbal description of his usage of the system. Hope it helps.

What I understand as the basics:
Create images for every pair of cards (Two cards) beginning with a black (or red)
So you create 1357 images (instead of the 2704 in the Ben system)
If you have for example: 7S - 4D and the word is MaKeR so a shoeMaker then the shadow image could be a hatMaKeR wich point to 4D-7S (just made this up for this example).

Alex Mullen uses a different methode for the shadow image as he describes in the video.
Please, correct me if I’m wrong.

I wasn’t saying the Shadow system doesn’t exist. But the OP wrote:

I was suggesting that the OP’s “bin system” may have been a reference to the Ben system of card memorization.

My understanding is the following:

Many top competitors, including Johannes Mallow, Alex Mullen, Lance Tschirhart, … are using a two-block system with 1352 images and make up for the “missing images” by either stacking images on a same location or moving to the next location. This choice is made after looking at each pair of cards (ie, after each image). This system is referred to by different names, but “two-block system” is probably the best-suited name for it. Not sure if it was Johannes or someone else who came up with this concept.

What Lance described in his post about the shadow system were two things:

• a way of efficiently mapping one’s 1000 images from one’s large numbers system (not sure if it’s required to be done using the major system) to one thousand (out of 1352) of the images required in a two-block system. So this is a table of correspondance between digits and pairs of cards.

• the concept of shadows, which can be used as an alternative to the “staying or moving” concept. When you only have 1352 images, you need to be encoding one bit of information (literally, either a ‘0’ or a ‘1’) along with each image. The classic two-block system does it by making you choose between stacking images or moving to the next location. The shadow concept does it by making you choose between using the original image (the one corresponding to your subvocalization, i.e. you read “Bart” and you see an image of Bart Simpson) or the shadow image (i.e. you read “Bart” but you see an image of something/someone related to Bart Simpson, for instance Lisa Simpson).

I believe that the fact that the concept of shadows and Lance’s own encoding within a two-block system were presented in the same post is the reason why many people are calling Alex’s, Lance’s, Johannes’s … systems “shadow systems”, even if absolutely no one seems to be using shadows.

I’m not sure if my explanation is very clear now though …

What I have no knowledge about is how Lance’s encoding/mapping works and how easy/difficult it would be to adapt to the Persian language. But this encoding/mapping requires that you already have a 1000-image numbers system.

1 Like

Thank you for your clear description :smile:
Helped me understand the system better.

Sorry read it quick.

Please provide a link to the system that you don’t understand.

That will ensure that all the people on this thread are discussing the same English description of the shadow system.

Maybe people can then modify the English text so that it’s presented in short simple words, using short simple sentences.

Thanks.