Searching for an application, need ideas

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to check this post, if anyone has any suggestions please share. I’d like lots of ideas.

Right now I use MindNode Pro on Mac and am very happy with it for everything I do with it, which is almost all of my studying. I used the free version for a long time, but ultimately the full screen mode and the ability to create connections between unrelated nodes were, I decided, worth paying for. [Option of going full screen mode is great for focus-intensive work!]

I’m now looking for something to fill a similar niche, but for my project I need a third dimension. I can do with reduced “mind-mapping” functionality, as long as I can take information I have mapped and then organize it in some sort of 3d mind-map or matrix or some such.

I’d even been thinking to use excel and just have multiple “sheets” with near parallel layouts and different data, but I think it could be nice to have everything be part of the same continuum.

Thanks for any advice or ideas!

Could you post an example of the type of information you would like to map?

If you use Twitter, Chuck Frey knows a lot about mind mapping and might have some suggestions.

Josh, what I really need is an application to organize data into a 3d matrix. It’s for the language project I’m working on. I’d like to create grammar and vocab matrices and then add “layers” to them for additional languages.

Looked up Chuck Frey, thanks for the tip.

I don’t know of any software that does that, but if you find one I’d be interested in checking it out…

Checked out an alternative mind-mapping app Frey mentioned on his twitter feed. It’s got a nice, bright feel to it. Called iMindMap5. It even seems to have a “3d” mode in it, but so it’s only made things look pretty, not actually arrange the data in 3d. It’s completely possible that this is simply a matter of user error, I haven’t had much time to play around with it yet.

There’s a few multi-dimensional spreadsheets listed on wiki here: http://goo.gl/3eP8l

So at least there are a few that exist, but I haven’t found a winner yet.

I just saw the wiki page. Great idea. I’m very interested…