Rubik's cube with 3 colors, same color on opposite faces

I recently got a rubik’s cube and decided to paint it to have less colors, as I thought that might make it easier for me to solve, since I have never been very good at rubik’s cubes. However, it doesn’t seem to have made it easier, and I’m unsure if this is because of something to do with the way the colors are, or simply because of my lack of cube skill.
The way I’ve painted it is such that it has 3 colors (white, yellow, and orange) and opposite sides of the cube have the same color. Yellow opposite yellow, white opposite white, orange opposite orange. I did this with the idea that the pieces (squares? mini-cubes? am unsure what they’re called) would be interchangeable with the other pieces of same color combination. E.g. all orange-yellow edge pieces interchangeable, all(?) corner pieces interchangeable, etc.
I don’t actually know how to solve a cube (yet), so I’ve been following some instructions I found online, and I was able to solve a regular cube with these instructions, but not the one I modified.
I haven’t found anything online about a three-color cube like this, so I am turning to this forum for help/advice. Have I actually made my cube harder to solve? Or is there simply something I’ve been overlooking?

I’m not positive, but I think there are some parity issues you can get with that mod. Pieces cycle in 3s, so, for example, if DF, UL, and UF cycle from a solved cube, I believe that the LU and FU stickers would appear to be swapped with nothing else wrong with the cube, even though three pieces were actually cycled. As to how to fix it, I’d probably be able to with some messing around using Roux, I think, but I wouldn’t really understand what I was doing. Just moving pieces around until I got rid of the parity and then solving as in Roux last step. I think there are some people on this forum who would be able to give a better answer, but you may find more thorough answers at speedsolving.com.

Okay, here’s my attempt at a solve pretending that opposite colors are identical. I was lucky enough to get a parity, but couldn’t figure out a way to solve it.

Scramble: F2 L U2 F2 R D2 R’ U2 F2 D2 R2 F U2 B’ R2 F2 R’ D U L’ B

D2 R D R2
U R U R’ U F’ L F L’
U R’ U’ R U y R’ F R F’
U’ R’ U R F’ L F L’
R’ U’ R
F U R U’ R’ F’
U (R U R’ U R U2 R’) U’ (R U R’ U R U2 R’) // This is bad, don’t spam sune to solve OCLL.
R U R’ U’ R’ F R2 U’ R’ U’ R U R’ F’
// Okay, so I solved it but it has a parity in BU and LU. After some thought, I’m not really sure how to solve that without either relying on the color scheme (I’m using a normal cube and just imagining that opposite colors are the same) or commutators, which I still can’t get the hang of.

1 Like

What was the original color scheme on your cube? Normally, Yellow is opposite White… so you can use either Yellow or White (not both) if you have the opposite side be the same.

Not really

The original color scheme was just the standard rubik’s cube color scheme, I think. I painted it so that: White -> Yellow, Red -> Orange, Blue -> White, Green -> White. So neither of the white sides are the original white side.

Thank you for the help and advice!
Admittedly, I’m quite new to cubes and am not entirely sure what you mean by parity, or by those letters and numbers ^^; can you explain what those are?

There’s a mathematical definition of parity which I don’t completely understand, but how it’s normally used in cubing is to refer to any cube state which arises via a given method to solving the cube which requires a “parity algorithm” to resolve. What I saw may or may not technically be parity, but it is a situation which can never arise on a normal 3x3 and thus requires an additional step with the method (CFOP) which I was using for that solve.

The “DF, UL, and UF” in the first paragraph are referring to specific stickers on the cube. The first letter tells you which face (Up, Left, Front, Right, Back, Down) the sticker is on, and the second letter tells you which face it is adjacent to. So it lets you refer not only to a specific edge piece, but to a specific sticker (of the two) on it. To refer to a corner one would just add a third letter.

Here I’m notating a scramble and a solution to the scramble. WCA orientation for scrambling is White up, and Green front. From that orientation you would turn the F face twice, the L face clockwise once, the U face twice, the F face twice again, the R face once clockwise, the D face twice, the R face counterclockwise, &c…

Then the solution just continues to use the same notation to record what I did in my attempt to solve it. “y” means to turn the entire cube 1/4 turn clockwise in your hands so that the U face is still facing upwards, but the old F face is now the new L face. From then on the notation refers to the new orientation.

The (Partial) Solve

2 Likes

Thank you for your help!
I was able to solve the cube only by differentiating between all six colors. (The painted yellow and orange I can tell from the original yellow and orange by texture, but I had to scrape a bit of paint off each white square so that I could tell which ones had originally been green and which had originally been blue.)
I’m now going to repaint the cube and make all six sides slightly different colors. (I’m thinking the new colors will be light yellow, yellow-orange, and red-orange.)
On a somewhat related note, if I painted a 2x2 cube with the color arrangement that I originally painted this cube with, would it have the same parity issues?