Review: Remember,Remember by Ed Cooke. Result 4 Useful Lists in a Week.

Review: Remember,Remember by Ed Cooke. Result 4 Useful Lists in a Week.
Bought this book on 7th January. A week later, I know all the Kings and Queens of England right back to 757 AD starting with the King of Mercia, Offa (who built Offa’s dyke), together with all their Houses (Mercia,Wessex,Norman…Windsor), and all the presidents of the USA starting at George Washington, and all the Prime Ministers of England back to Robert Walpole, and not only all the countries in Europe but amazingly, where they are on the map. I think I could even have a fair stab at drawing a map of Europe!
For a beginner, this is quite superb!
I suppose my goal was to see if I could do it, and I must admit that at the start, I wondered what I was letting myself in for, and as I progressed, I wondered if I would reach information overload. It didn’t happen!
Well, I woke up this morning thinking,"WTF(What the Heck) just happened. I had no memory palaces prepared, no systems in place, I just went along with Ed on his journeys, or stories, and after reviewing in my mind and checking over the details, I had the lists!
Now I know that this is what you experts do all the time, but as an introduction to the method, I found it really fascinating and helpful. All the stories were logical and yet illogical, designed to make the memories stick, and what’s even better, now I have a basis for creating my own stories, although, I can’t imagine they’ll be anything as good as Ed Cooke’s.(…because I can’t imagine ?!!)

1 Like

Excellent! It’s great to see someone posting here who discovered the world of memory techniques, enjoyed it and immediately remembered something useful! I think Ed’s really hit on the right kind of memory book with Remember, Remember! :slight_smile:

I have realised that I haven’t done this wonderful book complete justice. I may have given the impression that it only(!) gives the reader a way to remember the three lists of names (in addition to the map of European countries). There is however more…
For each list there is a further chapter which Ed Cooke calls “Round Two: Spotting The Detail”, which he recommends that you don’t read until you have learned the list of names well enough to impress friends or relatives or win a fiver off a stranger! In these chapters he goes back to the relevant story and adds extra details to flesh out the list of names.
This morning, I was running through the lists in my mind, when I found myself asking questions about the information I had memorized. Things such as, “Why were the Plantagenets followed by Lancaster then York in the North of England and why did the House of Tudor end, and the House of Stuart (which sounds Scottish to me!) begin?” or "If George Washington was the first US president, what, if anything, was his role in the American colonies? Who was the British king when USA declared independence? Who was the prime minister? …and lots more questions throughout the ages.
I realized that the lists of names I memorized were serving as pegs on which to attach more details, and also being able to run through the lists in my mind not only gave me a rough and ready overview of British and US history, but prompted me to raise all sorts of historical questions. Which might give the answer that ‘that was interesting but I’ll save it for later’ or ‘this period looks particularly interesting, I think I’ll delve into it further, and add some more details on that particular peg’.
So thanks to Ed Cooke for “doing my head in” this morning!!!

I just got this book and have memorized the presidents. I chose to do them first instead of the kings of England. I found it to be fun plus I am learning how to use this technique. Since the author is from England, I did have to look up a few terms he uses such as “jaffa cakes”.