Recommended Speed Reading Books?

Hi Mike,

Which courses do you mean?

I just learned it from the books I wrote about.
Most books contain the same info though and are based on the Evelyn Wood system.

I am asking because I went on the course some time ago but I did not see any results… To be fair I did not practise much but what I practise I could not remember later on so I gave up after a while.

So how fast can you rad?
Are you actually understand what you are reading/
Are you reading fiction or non fiction fast
Do you remember anything from non fiction?

regards
Mike

My current limit is 1000 wpm. Keep in mind that this is with familiar material, when I am rested and with bright light. I test this on a computer using Spreeder.com or Zapreader.com.

Yes. If not, I slow down.

Only non fiction. Usually books about psychology, self-help and similar stuff.

Yes. I read books because i actually want to learn the contents.

I you are interested in computer aided speed reading, start here:

If you want to train, here is what I do.
I read a text at maximum speed, then read it again (a couple of times) with double the last speed, then triple (also a couple of times).
Then I read the original text again and find that my maximum speed has increased.

I don’t always read at 1000 wpm. It is my maximum, and I cannot find ways to go much faster without decreasing my comprehension. If anybody has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Hi Kinma,
Are you able to read actual paper books (not on the computer) at that speed?
I find that when I use zap/spreeder I can read much quicker, but for some reason that method of grouping and pacing doesn’t carry over well to paper books.
I have read quite a bit about speed reading and tried all the techniques and exercises, but when it comes down to it I usually find myself taking my time to make sure I don’t miss anything.

Hi Jontsef,

Yes, I can. Try to break through your comfort zone.
Read a page, then read that same page with double speed, then with triple speed, then read the next page at your highest speed.
You will find that your speed has gone up.

hey can anyone suggest a nice book for memory palace…

Quantum Memory Power by Dominic O’Brien is good. Also check out the Memory Techniques Wiki and the search box at the top of each forum page. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was thinking about this recently as I want to get back into memory training, and I thought that maps would be useful.

I was thinking in particular of 3d style 2d maps. So a “normal” paper map but with some of the important buildings drawn as in 3d.

From here I’d make a journey around the map and have each of the important buildings / landmarks as a point (or points) on the journey.

Dont waste your time on any books…imho just buy either EYEQ program or another great one by EREFLECT.
Its what took me from around 375 to 4200wpm at my peak (easy to read/non-techinical) after 6 months.
Its all about pushing your eyes taking in larger and larger chunks of info by working on your peripherals and also finding a pattern that works for you the best. Dont worry about the technicals, just focus on pushing faster and faster and you’ll automatically find your own rhythm.

Photoreading is the biggest pile of dog**** . In fact, that stupid informerical i’ve seen on youtube should be used as a sat. night live skit…lol.

This is a long comment, so strap yourself in.

First, I’ll recommend a book (very short, about 32 pp.). The book is called “Reading for Survival.” In the book, the author (John D. MacDonald) has two of his best-known characters discuss the role of reading in civilization. JDM, in several other locations in his books, discusses reading and learning in general. He talks about the 1960s premise of racing through college as rapidly as possible so that the students come away without feeling that they’ve “wasted” time in college. JDM’s character, Travis McGee, observes that the point of college IS to “waste” time. To spend hours contemplating the big, hairy questions of existence.

Second, I’ll recommend a technique called syncretic reading, which is just a fancy way of saying, “read a bunch of books on the same topic simultaneously.” That doesn’t mean one-after-another. That means you read chapter one of the first book, then the first two chapters of the second book. The third book doesn’t start as far back, so you don’t cover anything on that one yet. Then you go back to the first book, read the next bit, etc. The premise is that you expose your mind to the same event from multiple points of view, as they occur: a split-screen with “he said” on this side, and “she said” on the other.

Third, I’ll bring up Jack LaLanne. LaLanne’s “revolutionary” idea? Stop eating crap, get a little exercise. He had housewives using chairs and brooms for ersatz gym equipment at home. You didn’t need to work yourself into a lather, just get a little activity in there each day. Now, seriously, how many of us “read” a book like Mortimer Adler coaches in “How to Read a Book”? More to the point, how many books are now written for that level of preliminary analysis? Most of us – and I include myself in that – go through a book like opening a pudding cup. Peel back the cover and dig in. There are VERY, VERY few genuinely informative books out there. Mortimer Adler covers this in great detail in “How to Read a Book.”

Fourth, I’m just going to say it and be done: speed reading is right up there with facilitated communication, the ideomotor effect, and the Forer effect. It is a type of pseudo-science exploited by either the ignorant or the deliberately scheming to trick people out of money.

Now. I mix it all together to make the thesis statement: The purpose of learning (the end result of reading) is to actively and for as long as possible incorporate the concepts introduced into your conscious awareness. This is NOT accomplished with short cuts. Nor is it accomplished by quantity. Racing through college, speed-reading a million words a day, packing your brain with facts. Am I the only one who watches these television programs on compulsive hoarders?

Every book you read (with some very small areas of exception, such as math or chemistry) contains assertions and opinions that are wrong or imprecise. I swear to God, that’s not a plot on anyone’s part; it’s just the publishing industry. Barbara Tuchman made a two-day mistake in “Guns of August” about the timeline of Russia’s involvement in WWI. Does it mean the woman’s completely wrong on everything? No. But she isn’t infallible.

Learning, as MacDonald mentions, is a necessary component of survival, just like eating. What’s the first thing you learn in a kitchen? Don’t run. Don’t hurry. Don’t look away from the knife. There are reasons, very good ones, for why the best things that come out of a kitchen take time. You want shortcuts? Go ahead, shove that frozen tray of processed junk into the microwave. It’ll be the temperature of molten lead in under five minutes and you can wolf it down straightaway so you can get back to racing through what will still be a trivially minute percentage of human knowledge by the time you’re done.

Slow down. Paraphrase the Shakers: read each book as though today was your last day on Earth, and as though you had all the time in the world to finish.

I’m not trying to sound like Grumpy Old Man, but I’ve worked in the corporate world for 20-odd years, and the biggest, absolutely most misery-inducing thing is when someone comes along with the whiz-bang newest solution to “inefficiency.” Whether it’s the bullshit of Six Sigma or “Who Moved My Cheese?” or the nonsense of forbidding anyone to say there’s a “problem” (it’s a “challenge” or an “opportunity”), a whole lot of people continue to insist that the new way is great and the old way is crap. Sometimes, that’s true. But usually, it’s because the person who’s telling you the new way is better has a couple thousand bottles of “new way” in a warehouse somewhere.

And I’m stepping off my soapbox.

From my point of view … speed reading works as long as you get confident about it . When you read and understand what you read , you get confident .
For example … if you buy yourself a new car , you give it all the attention you have that day . Your mind is captured by that car , you can’t think of anything else that day . But after 2 weeks , you may be interested in something else . Your car’s value has dropped in your eyes , you are maybe even bored by it . That effect is also true with text . If you read something very slow for the first time … it has some sort of energy to it . If you read only like this … it won’t get you very far , because you will get bored . You need to change the pace sometimes . To force yourself to do something new . I study German … and I found out for example , that if I change the pace of the clip , I make much faster progress . Much much faster , because my mind will be connected to that new thing, it won’t wander off . So Kinma is right . And I think , going very slow has advantages as speed reading . Photoreading also has it’s advantages , but the advantages are more subtle . As long as you get confident when doing something … it will have a positive effect on you .

My recommendation is

Reading with the right brain by David Butler

Based on theories provided in Drawing with the right brain by Betty Edwards, which is available at archive.org. Drawing with the Right Brain is taught all over the country to multiple corporations searching for new techniques to improve their decision making and creative processes.

Mr. Butler attempts to convince the reader that improving reading relies entirely on two things,

1. activating the right side of the brain (which has also been identified as the diffuse thinking system by Barbara Oakley, and system 2 by Daniel Kahneman).
  2. improving comprehension (accomplished mainly through creating a mental movie, similar to Ramon Campayo’s technique)

the book is the best I have seen on this topic, and offers the first 1000 words of many books to practice on.