Realistic visualization with Memorization techniques

Has anyone tried using your creativity to create a visualisation that actually makes sense, not just for the sake of memorability?
I’ve been reading posts from people who try to apply memorisation techniques to study whatever subject they’re studying (medicine, science, history, so on…) and they mention that memorisation is sort of like a permanent but sort of a short-term solution, since it does not make connections to related real subjects and instead solidifies itself in your brain via unrelated images, thus you have to find those random images in random locations takes time.
I would instead like to learn to use spacial visualisation, transformation, interaction and story methods in a way that makes sense. Which would, of course, be less memorable, but like natural memory, would require more repetition, but would be much more versatile and faster, and very practical in everyday tasks. I’m trying to figure out how that would work. But one thing I would like to do is to create imaginary loci in my head before memorisation, and only use real locations or pre-existing virtual location if the subject of memorisation os actually related.
For example: to memorise recipes I would only imagine food transformations, the related loci would only be imaginary or only in my kitchen or within the layout of the store where I buy them.
Also, I was trying to create a new system for numbers that would be logical, like how numbers relate to each other and what they represent and most common uses of them instead of using the major system.

Idk, this is kind of a bit too much for me to discover myself as I’m a noob still, but maybe you get the picture of what i’m after. any related material would be greatly appreciated.

sorry for incoherent thoughts :slight_smile:

Example: if I wanted to memorize vocabulary like a foreign language month names, I would search the etymology of say July and find that it was named after Julius Ceasar and then imagine a wheel with twelve parts (loci) and imagine Julius being killed by something in that wheel that is a part of the July month loci.
I mean it sounds like a lot of effort and would also require to google stuff to get the actual answers.
The solution would be to sort of standardise the visualisation of spaces for concepts and also creating vivid and logical assumptions about everything that I need for memorisation. Making assumptions would be less logical and would be a breeding ground for random creativity, though I would want to standardise that as well.
Also ideally these assumptions would be replaced by facts if I actually find out what they are
Over time this would build into a comprehensive image in your head that would make future-related information almost effortless to place and remember.

Is anyone interested in this?

Hi Adam,
Not to outdo you, but basically, you are suggesting Giovanni Bruno’s memory theatre (as described in the book the Art of Memory or ‘Moonwalking with Einstein’). Which in theory is a good idea, but as far as I can tell from what I read, the difficulty would be that everybody would need to start at the same level and you would need to start with very basic ideas. Meaning that everybody around the world should understand that July comes from Julius Ceasar, which although sounds like very basic information, already is quite difficult as you’d need to know a bit about who Ceasar was (yes I know that sounds ridiculous, but then ask yourself what about June or August? February?). Long story short, from what I understood a mnemonic system will always be personal and will, therefore, act as the glue between a short-term and a long-term memory (in the way that it becomes long-term because it is ridiculous for your brain. e.g. I can still remember the name Earlene from my names training yesterday because in my mind it is funny). Which is why you need to repeat information to store it in your long-term memory (preferably through spaced repetition).
Having said that, regarding the major system problem and how the numbers relate, I understand your concern as I had the same one until recently. What I was thinking is to connect the letters to the morse code as that is based on how often certain letters appear in the English alphabet (e = most common letter, thus a 1; t = second most common letter, thus a 2; etc). But going through the articles on the wiki (I cannot find the actual article quickly but the Peg system also works this way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic_peg_system) I read that the major system is actually based on the ability to make sentences where the words rhyme (this is a bad example but something like: Death Rat Ad for 14 AD the year emperor August died). Which I think is a very clever idea as rhymes are easier to recall. What I’m running into myself is in which language to do this (my native language or English). Hope this is useful information.

thank you for the reply, Ingmar