Progress in various areas (Loci in image, memorizing verbatim, vocabulary, etc)

Here the original painting (self portrait). No distractions from the background.

2 Likes

I don’t use often memory methods in a very explicit way in my lessons. In today’s class I had very few students and I tried something interesting. At the beginning they were surprised, and at the end convinced.

4 Likes

How is this going? I love the idea of encoding information into a painting.

3 Likes

It works for me. Specifically it works much better if the elements of the painting are parts of the body because it helps for remembering the loci and for practicing, by relating to my own body. It requires less imagination than other loci mansions. At the same time, I wonder if I will get many ghost images as I do this with more paintings. Time will tell.

One of my problems in language learning is that I understand a lot of vocabulary but I never use it, and when I speak I use a very small range of words. This is relevant for me because it is related to my job. I have tried many things, lists, cards, etc. I am trying now to use a study diary. I use Onenote to put the words in a random position. I add an emoticon to make it memorable, and I will try to go back there from time to time to read aloud the words or expressions I want to use more.
Since I am also using the “loci in image” method to memorize things, I hope these two methods will not jeopardize each other. Let us see.

3 Likes

I have chosen to use emoticons because they are fast and easy to type. After few minutes I can feel that there is already a connection between each emoticon and the word involved, even without practicing.

3 Likes

It is so easy to abandon memory training for a while, and not so easy to begin again.

1 Like

I use Onenote to store information about memory, loci, lists, etc. I added the icons of some Onenote pages to the main screen of my phone with the hope that I will be reminded to practice.

I have been practicing for one month, I think. The plan was to add one line a day, but in reality in some occasions I did not do it. But I am practicing everyday, mostly recalling from memory without watching the note in the phone. Only when there is a problem I check the phone. It works.

I have tried to do this effectively for few years, and so I learned many things that do not work, and few that work, at least for me. So this time is finally working.

1 Like

For the last few days I have used mnemonics in a course I am teaching. I made the students remember the table of contents, and some other information for the course. This has been by far the most enthusiastic response from students. We practice few minutes everyday in class.

As a group they can recall all the information, but not necessarily each person.

5 Likes

I have been around two weeks without any memory training or even use of memory methods.
Just found time to read a novel, with dozens of characters with strange names and automatically began to assign images to the characters as to be able to remember them.
Then I tried to use the major system for some information and I realized I have lost practice because of not having used it for a long time. The same happened with the systems I use for language learning. Everything is a bit stagnant now.

1 Like

So so true

That’s interesting, I think I’ll try teaching some students to apply it in their studies to see how it goes

2 Likes

Excellent endeavour by @Liam.

Excellent response by @Mindory.

Good luck to both you guys. I hope you keep us informed on your results.

Thanks.

2 Likes

After three complicated months, I begin again to memorize long texts, in order to advance a bit in a language in which I have been in a plateau for a while.
I divided a long article from a magazine into very short phrases, few words each line. Just finished typing it in (it is part of the process).
I will try to use a mix of loci in a mansion and loci in paintings. Each room with many objects, each object with many loci, trying to go into the details of the objects, as I learned from another thread in this forum.
Hope it will be useful for abandoning the plateau.

1 Like

Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. Especially when most of the students do not “connect” with the idea of loci. It works well with small groups.

During the last few weeks I have been following the advice of a teacher with 38 years of experience in language learning.
Select one article in you target language, read it few times every day (for instance 4 or 5) for a week. At the end of the week write a short comment about the article (your feelings, your opinion), and then read that short comment many times, during few days.
I abandoned then my previous endeavour (as described in the post of October 2), and began to do this.
I have not been very faithful to the plan, but I find it very useful

2 Likes

Another area is the use of Loci.
There are some topics that I have taught already few times and I am very familiar with the content. So, before the class it is enough for me to review the content to refresh the ideas in my mind. On may occasions I make a list of the main ideas I want to include and put them in loci, so I just go through them during the session.
Two days ago, I reviewed the material, not very difficult, but did not put the main points in loci, as usual, and in fact, during the class I forgot to talk about some of the ideas I wanted to share. So I saw again how using loci is such a simple an powerful method

1 Like

Yesterday i had to deliver a speech. I put things in loci, but i did it without enough preparation and i forgot part of it.
I put the main ideas in 10 rooms, and then reviewed once. That was not enough, especially because the images i used for the last 5 rooms were very weak: not detailed or funny or anything.
The “speech” was not properly composed, very theoretical, no interesting stories, nor anything remarkable. As usual, we learn from our mistakes.

5 Likes

You can say this was similar to me situation, in the sense that it worked as they could understand and remember more when i showed them. But it didn’t again cause they didn’t want to put the effort to make it memorable but continued to use rote. Basically if i want them to learn, i have to be the one creating the images for them, else they go rote and then forget. i don’t know, guess some people don’t see it as a big deal, despite its potential.

1 Like

In one of my classes I have a student that struggles very much to grasp abstract concepts and also to memorize He has a very poor background in terms of learning. He is the older one in the batch, by far, in fact closer to me in age that to any other student.
As I mentioned earlier here, I often use mnemonics during class, but now I am paying special attention to him, and teaching him some simple memory techniques (associations, pegs, loci, etc.) to memorize.
It seems it is helping, and his grades have rapidly improved (I implemented weekly test to help some students to measure their progress).
Regarding my own memorization, I lack perseverance, and often I abandon a plan to begin a new one.

1 Like