Programmable memory systems based on Nodes

Mnemotechnics were used not only to memorize information, but also to create branched reflection graphs according to certain logical laws. Then various mental tools were applied to these graphs. The width of the tools used depends on the user’s literacy. In turn, no one forbade designing mental tools or even machines. At one time, Leibniz fought over the question of the universal machine or language, but he gave up :slight_smile: Another branch of mnemonics is the total translation of your thinking on mnemonic semantics, as Giordano Bruno did(with a lot of unnecessary things) and used the obtained mnemosemantics according to certain algorithms to gain knowledge and understanding of interrelations(through algorithmic thinking rituals).
In the future, the system has been repeatedly improved by followers in order to correspond to modernity and science. The main value embedded in his system is this invention through complex systems of combinations. In our time, it should be redone from scratch. But it is hampered by the fact that not a single taxonomy can cope with the structuring of today’s volume of knowledge gaining. But there is a way out - a realtime(nonstop) system based on nodes with a time reference.

I will tell about my vision of such a system in further posts. Even the current MVP of node mnemology system allows you to record every minute of life at the expense of every second living in two worlds, in the real one and generated mnemonical one.

In fact, the loci method is a good sandbox for practicing computer thinking like that of Spock. We can write any program and execute it. The language for the execution of the program can be any. Rules and restrictions also depend only on fantasy. After all, the nesting of images is almost endless, the nature of the interaction between each part of the image can also grow infinitely, just like those images to which the interaction will be made. In addition to loci due to indexing, linguistic paradigms, syntagms, you can also make alternative versions of palaces with their own rules. Thus, it turns out a very complex system based on the rules of reading, writing, deleting mnemonodes. Everyone a little versed in the design of programming languages ​​can make their own applied 3D programming language for certain tasks.

Who did something like that? Are there any theoretical ideas or experiments that have already been done?

5 Likes

If I understood your comment, various philosophical schools have tried something like that. They invent a model, or pattern, or idea, and impose on reality, interpreting it according to an invention, instead of discovering the reality in reality itself.

For instance, Hegel “invented” his dialectic way of thinking and then tried to interpret the whole of what exists according to it. The results had great influence in the creation of Nazism and Communism, with the results known to all.

I am not saying that we should not organize information, and find connections between ideas, but to impose our ideas on reality, might lead to misinterpretation of reality, that we force reality to fit our way of thinking. I might think that because I can organize things, concepts, etc. into some preconceived mental structure, then automatically reality really is organized according to my mental structure.

I have not studied Bruno’s work, but from the few things I have read, he might have fallen into this.
Sorry if it sounds too negative.

3 Likes

A Nodes-based mnemology is free of such things :slight_smile: On it, you can create calculations on Bayesian “fans” of probabilities and use all scientific tools to check falsifiability. Among the mnemonic tools, you can use numerous techniques of critical and rational thinking. You can even organize a check on all current frameworks of rationality and ethics.

Now flood the fireplace, sit comfortably and listen to entertaining stories of mnemonics :hourglass_flowing_sand:

I see something like this mnemology history chain:

Grounded: Indigenous Knowing in a Concrete Reality
To sum up, the mnemonic of the tribes (to the Greeks, the method of loci was even more powerful) carried a purely applied, pragmatic character.

“it is a serious, though apparently a common, mistake to speak of a totem as a god and to say that is worshipped by the clan. In pure totemism, such as we find it among the Australian aborigines, the totem is never a god and is never worshipped.”

It worked as an expert knowledge system without any mysticism. And something resembled the ancient Chinese philosophy with their principles of harmony and predeedness. But unlike the Chinese, the ancient tribes did not use such rigid frameworks as philosophical currents, we can say that they were hardcore low-level programmers.The Chinese only bypassed the Aborigines when they created the book of changes and improved the Tibetan method of the inner temple, which were equally tools, a mnemo-semantic system about behavior, perception of reality, and cognitive functions with tight binding to the time system.

• For maintaining a dynamic history of almost the entire continent over 4,000 years. The dynamism was that the history of moving, destruction of each locus (stones, buildings, paths) was created almost like a blockchain :slight_smile:
  • To record the perfect hunting techniques and knowledge of the behavior and physiology of the prey. In addition to purely pragmatic things, the natives memorized the properties of the flora and fauna of chito in order to satisfy curiosity and complete the collection.
    -For a change of consciousness under a particular activity (Brain’s Default Mode)
  • For corn selection and proper planting to minimize the risks of destruction of the culture from one or another misfortune.
  • For each place a ritualized model of behavior and readiness for one or another possible event was created. This is reminiscent of the rituals of Giordano Bruno aimed at sharpening thinking and cognitive cognitive functions.
  • Also like the alarm bell, the first oligarchs appeared.

“the groups that directly controlled iron production did so with highly esoteric technological and ritual repertoire. The ritual that surrounded iron production mystified the technological process to such a degree that it appeared to be mastery over something natural, human fecundity, rather than control over specialized technological knowledge. Such powers of mystification conferred certain economic advantages to the groups that controlled them.”

This paralell we will need when we get to the time of Nietzsche :grimacing:
Abhirup Dutta from Quora:
"The early Avestan religion of Persia and Vedic religion of India come from the same roots. They invoke the same deities, and their metre of recitation of scriptures is the same.

Zoroastrianism was founded by Zarathustra, who reformed the ancient Avestan religion into a new direction. Zoroaster, in many ways, inverted the ancient religion and thus, Vedic deities are demons in Zoroastrianism and Vedic demons are angels instead.

There are a lot of similarities between the Vedas of Hinduism and Gathas of Zoroastrianism.

It is a stroke of providence that when Zoastrianism faced persecution in Persia, many people from the Parsi community migrated and settled down in India and made this country their home."

In Hindu texts, it is already clear that practical mnemonics have been processed thanks to many knowledge domains:

• Agriculture and food;
  • Architecture;
  • Devotionalism;
  • Drama, dance and performance arts;
  • Education, school system;
  • Epics;
  • Gnomic and didactic literature;
  • Grammar;
  • Law and jurisprudence;
  • Lexicography;
  • Mathematics and exact sciences;
  • Medicine;
  • Music;
  • Mythology;
  • Philosophy;
  • Poetics;
  • Gender and Sex;
  • State craft, politics;
  • Tantrism, Agamas;
  • Temples, Sculpture;
  • Scriptures (Vedas and Upanishads).

Especially need to highlight Post-Vedic texts:
" The texts that appeared afterwards were called smriti.
Smriti literature includes various Shastras and Itihasa s (epics like Ramayana, Mahabharata), Harivamsa Puranas, Agamas and Darshanas.
The Sutras and Shastras texts were compilations of technical or specialized knowledge in a defined area. The earliest are dated to later half of the 1st millennium BCE. The Dharma-shastras(law books), derivatives of the Dharma-sutras. Other examples were bhautikashastra “physics”, rasayanashastra “chemistry”, jīvashastra “biology”, vastushastra “architectural science”, shilpashastra “science of sculpture”, arthashastra “economics” and nītishastra “political science”.[43] It also includes Tantras and Agama literature.[44]
This genre of texts includes the Sutras and Shastras of the six schools of Hindu philosophy.[45][46]"

Many of them coincide with the ideas of Ramon Llull.
On the creation of the microcosm and its dry logical language as a convenient model of the world of the macrocosm.
Also played the role of ancient Sanskrit, a very complex language with a special twist - a mutation of the roots and easy encryption through allegorical expressions(For Brahmins varn profit). Linguistics is always a good complement to any mnemonic system. It expands with ease in several degrees. The more perfect linguistics is, the more powerful the system can be created. Do you remember Macunx linguistic system of deconstructing of languages and ithkuil?

Аlso their system was affected focus on superhuman capabilities:
"Hindus consider the Vedas to be apauruṣeya, which means “not of a man, superhuman”[20] and “impersonal, authorless”.

Then the Indian texts with super huge mnemonic system reduced and fell into Indochina, and then into Tibet and Korea. From here came the generative technique of the old temple and various virtual add-ins/ons, starting with the mandalas and lasting the lost modifications for many cognitive functions.
Already then the technique of living in at least two worlds was created one is Virtual, the other is Real. Virtual at the same time is somewhat reminiscent of smartphones with a bunch of programs in the stores and brain implants, programs from fiction.

Simplified Asian ideas are picked up by Ramon Llull (with his circles), then Giordano Bruno (with his system of mnemonic seals), Hegel, Leibnitz, and even Bacon. At that time, the idea of ​​creating a scientific / alchemical mental calculator and rhetorical machines came through.

And now to the “funny” part. The founders of Freemasonry relied on the ideas of Giordano Bruno, but with strong simplifications. They did not use the proposed framework, but created a multiple simplified analog that is understandable to ordinary users. And then the story loses its clear outlines. Where the ideas came from: Nietzsche, Karl Marx, Engels and the leaders of the countries is unknown. How did the Masonic temple influence the world? - unknown. In any case, I will not judge, because node based mnemology is only a tool.

I’m more interested in cleaning and deconstructing old and new systems using the latest scientific discoveries and improvements. It would be great if there were people on the forum versed in the Asian branch of mnemonics and the principles of creating programming languages ​​and computer science. We could make out, compare efficiency, deconstruct and assemble a new total version of the mnemonic system for life. With a bunch of useful things besides simple memorization, transcend the experience of great inventors like Tesla and other thinkers.

P.s. It is quite tiring to write posts on this topic, as now I am busy searching for vacancies of growth hacking which is rare in my country.

2 Likes

You can indicate some sources where I can study more about Asian Mnemonics?Your knowledge is impressive, I’ve never seen anyone with this level of information about the art of memory.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks.

1 Like

Today I wrote you the answer all day long in the attached file :slight_smile:
There, the topics “problems of classical mnemonics” and “problem solving by the Asian Temple” are much broader than here on forum. I did not reach the more ancient temples of the heyday of Zoroastrianism and Hinduism - the ancient Indian was too complex, like the predecessors of the Persian.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17vyUy6z1Dq5jisGkaF9eACxPNJiLIFoB8A8pihaue3s/edit?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, all information about advanced versions of Asian, Hindu, Zoroastrian, and Arabic mnemonics should be trapped in very disparate texts, made their way through cryptography and messages in architecture, monuments, tablets, texts almost like in “da Vinci code.” Without super cultural knowledge, this is almost impossible; one has to catch the tiniest hints of mnemonics in everything. So I found that mandalas = memory palaces, then that mandalas can be generative depending on the programming of the fractal shell of rooms and images. I found thousands of pieces of information and connected as best I could. In most books and texts there is not a word about memory, much less mnemonics!

From the clues I found that most of the ancient sacred temples use upgraded versions of mnemonics that are not found in the west at all. At the heart of ancient temples are much more complex principles that surpass mathematics * linguistics * all Western mnemotechnics presented on the form.

I mentioned this in my old post.

Temple Structure

In the appendix, I answered the questions “why do we need a mnemonic generative Temple?”, “What unresolved problems of classical mnemonics are closed by the Asian version of the Temple?”.

In the previous article, I described a disparate set of methods (see Why the Temple is needed?) Allowing to solve a number of problems (see Problems of classical mnemonics). However, from this set it is still not completely clear how Korean mnemonics work. In this article I will go further and describe the structure of the Temple and the place of each described method in this structure.

1. The temple has two main components: the visible structure and the hidden structure. A visible structure is a collection of imaginary objects, buildings, fences, gates, trees. All these visible objects incline inexperienced mnemonics towards understanding the Temple as a set of places for placing images according to the classical method of Cicero. But there is a second component, a hidden structure, which actually constitutes the essence of the Temple. This hidden structure is similar to language, like it is, but it cannot be seen otherwise than through speech. The famous linguist Ferdinand de Saussure divided speech activity into language (langue) and speech (parole). A language is a set of rules, a kind of convention that associates words with their meanings and sets the rules for combining them into sentences in the form of grammar. Speech is a concrete act of using a language. Another well-known semiotic, Umberto Eco, in some of his work, proposed to consider memory as a communication system, a kind of language for transmitting messages to oneself from past to future. Developing these ideas, we will consider the activities of creating and using the Temple as the speech activity of a certain mnemonic language. This will allow us to draw analogies between the Temple and natural language (see Figure 1).

Figure 1. Analogy between the Temple and the language

1. The fact that we, in one way or another, remember with the help of the Temple, is the lowest level of the pyramid - information. As can be seen from the figure, this information is similar to the text of a natural language and covers what Saussure calls speech. The remaining levels of the pyramid (buildings, syntagmas, paradigms, keys and numbers) serve this speech, allowing you to effectively transmit messages to yourself in the future. All this, with the exception of numbers, constitutes the language of Saussure and has analogies in natural language. Numbers are something that is not found in natural language, numbers should be understood more as order based on mathematics, it can also include geometry and logic. Natural language is not based on numbers, so it does not allow indexing large amounts of information.

2. The level of numbers. This level is needed in order to workplace generators. Ideally, everything that is in the Temple should be obtained by generator generating algorithms. The explanation is very simple: if the information has an originating algorithm, it does not need to be remembered. It will only be cached during its use, but if the cache is suddenly forgotten, you can always restore it using the original generator. In practice, this means that you must have some knowledge in elementary mathematics, including such sections as: number theory, combinatorics, geometry, and so on.

3. Keys level. In order to avoid confusion, we will also call these keys fractal keys, because the term key is also used to designate a signal in the process of recall. So, fractal keys are the letters of the language of the Temple, in themselves they do not mean anything, but they have the potential to create morphemes and words of the Temple. In the process of describing the method of generators, we identified the problem of correspondences. Where to get sets of matches for generation (matches between numbers and colors, shapes, materials, styles, etc.)? This problem is solved by fractal keys along with paradigms. On the one hand, fractal keys are associated with numbers, on the other - with paradigms (that is, with the properties of objects). In contrast to numbers, fractal keys are always finite and make sets (10 keys, 32 keys, 100keys, 360 keys, etc.). We can say that it is both numbers and letters. Collectively, all sets of fractal keys make up the fractal envelope (see Magic and fractal envelopes). The set of sets of fractal keys must be arranged in such a way as to implement the properties of the fractal envelope (quantization, grouping, transformation, mapping, embedding). Since we also need to use natural language as an index, it is convenient for the fractal keys to be associated with the letters or sounds of the natural language. As I said in the article about the fractal shell, magic-philosophical systems offer us sets of fractal keys, although not very convenient for the purposes of mnemonics. For example: Kabbalah (10 Sephir, 22 Hebrew letters, 72 Shemhamphorash names), Book of Changes (64 hexagrams, 8 trigrams), Astrology (7 planets, 12 zodiac signs), Futark (24 runes).

4. The level of paradigms. There was a separate article about paradigms and syntagmas (see Paradigms and Syntagmas). I’ll dwell on this briefly here. A paradigm is a category divided by fractal keys. For example, if we have 64 keys based on hexagrams, we can split the color category using a cube (see Color Cube). Each key will have its own color, and the key and the color can be uniquely converted into each other. A related problem is the problem of category breakdown. This problem is solved with the help of numerical properties of keys, however, more on that later.

5. The level of syntagm. Paradigms are abstract properties that cannot exist on their own. They always exist within the framework of syntagma, it is just like the morpheme of the end of the verb of the 2nd conjugation of the 1st person of the plural cannot be said without the verb (for example, “we are looking”). All objects in the Temple must be syntagmas. In fact, this requirement is analogous to the requirement of a natural language, which says that all words must consist of the letters of a given language. In Russian there can be no sounds or letters of the English language. The exceptions are copies of real objects. This means that if you build a building, it must be from material derived from some kind of paradigm of a fractal key. There should be no random objects in the Temple as in a spatial scheme or natural language, everything should be strictly ordered based on generators, keys and paradigms. This makes the Temple a closed autopoietic system, which is reproduced by itself, as if performing a cycle of auto-repetition. It is necessary to pay special attention that syntagmas, as well as words of a natural language, are of different types. These are not only subject nouns, but also verbs (what does?), Adverbs (how does?), Spatial (where?) And temporal (when?) Pointers and so on. All this may have its own paradigm. It should also be said that syntagmas do not necessarily contain information that we memorize (information level), they can serve for grammatical purposes, as some kind of auxiliary elements, for example, as part of index structures.

6. The level of buildings. Constructions, generally speaking, are understood not as buildings and structures, but any elements of the Temple that contain grammatical rules for using the syntagmas of the Temple. Although of course it is convenient to assume that a separate building performs a separate function, but conceived it is not. One function can be distributed to several buildings and vice versa one knowledge can perform several unrelated functions. Already considering the methods to solve problems from the previous chapter, we see that buildings are not always used to store information. For example, index constructions perform the function of converting information, not storage. There may be other buildings that perform functions that are generally difficult to understand, using the concepts of classical mnemonics. For example, buildings that provide autopoiesis, buildings for context management, buildings for searching information, buildings for perceiving information, buildings for creating backup copies of information. Or even more intricate buildings that are not related to memory at all: buildings for changing mood, buildings for determining time in the real world, buildings for self-motivation, and so on. And, of course, there are buildings for storing information. But it should be remembered that this is not necessarily a set of places for placing images, because information is a complex thing.

7. The level of information. Information enters the Temple in two ways: focal (textual) and background (contextual). There is reason to believe that textual information is processed by the left hemisphere, and contextual information by the right hemisphere. How each of the hemispheres works can be briefly understood by reading these articles: see Left-handed person and Right-handed person. In the framework of the systems of classical mnemonics, we deal only with the focal method.

The focus method is simple to understand, it has the following properties:

1. clarity (focus is always clearly understood),

2. consciousness (information processing occurs with the participation of our consciousness),

3. sequence (information is processed portion by portion),

4. discreteness (information is divided into elements with a clear structure),

5. single-mode (each element of information contains one modality, image, sound, smell).

The background method, on the contrary, is difficult to understand and, as a rule, is always ignored, it has the following properties:

1. vague (the background is always vague and blurred),

2. automatism (the background is processed automatically),

3. parallelism (the background is processed immediately over the entire surface),

4. continuity (the background is a continuous field),

5. multimodality (all modalities are present in the background)

Apparently, the Korean mnemonic is a background method, or rather, an adherent of Korean mnemonics must first master the focal method, but then automate it and go to the background method. Later I will describe the old temple in the next chapter. But in short …after going through the training cycle, the adept had to destroy his Temple and begin to memorize everything without it. Information processing by both focal and background methods depends on the specific configuration of buildings and the type of information and requires separate consideration in each specific situation.

1. Now let’s go over the methods outlined in the previous article:
  1. Generators - implemented using numbers, keys and paradigms.

2. Context management - special contextual paradigms (such as weather, lighting, mood, etc.) and special constructions for context management (in the Old Temple, this function was performed by the Gate and Paths).

3. Inserted points are simply additional paradigms within syntagmas to increase their visibility (for example, the basic paradigm of the “red” wall can be specified by the insertion points “rough texture”, “wallpaper”, “floral pattern”, etc.).

4. Centering - provided by the core of the Temple, a set of basic buildings with which we always deal (for example, you can organize a set of index buildings in the center of the Temple or make the Temple itself in the form of a Lopan compass).

5. Multi-indexing - is provided through the multifunctional use of syntagmas, and in particular, including the fact that syntagmas consist of several paradigms that can be used for different purposes.

6. Autopoiesis - the level of buildings, the orientation of buildings to activities, the constant presence in the Temple.

7. Multimodal surrogates - additional key paradigms.

8. Reference surrogates - additional key paradigms.

9. Storage configuration - level of buildings, structure of buildings.

10. Combinatorial patterns - additional key paradigms.

11. Index buildings - the level of buildings, the structure of buildings (in the Old Temple this function was performed by the Round Tower).

12. Natural indices - different implementation options (keys, paradigms, buildings) are possible.

13. Quick search - the level of buildings, the relationship between syntagmas.

14. Slow search - special contextual paradigms and a building for their unwinding (the Garden and the Puddle performed this function in the Old Temple).

15. Buildings of representation - the level of buildings, a special structure of construction.

Old Temple

In the 19th century in Korea, in one of the monasteries, a certain person who had previously served as a murderer or someone like that, and then departed from worldly life, in the guise of a monk, taught the novices the strange art of memory. The grandson of one of the novices told us about this art, but, unfortunately, our information is scarce. We will call this art conditionally Korean mnemonics, or Eastern mnemonics, as they probably came from China.

1. Every day for several hours a group of novices gathered together in a slightly darkened room to gain insight into the secret doctrine. All sat down and froze in the same pose with open eyes. The monk began his monologue. He unhurriedly talked about certain objects that novices should have seen in his imagination. He paused, repeated the same thing several times. After some time, the novices entered into a meditative state, their eyes sinking into an imaginary world created by the words of a monk. Those who were distracted received a bamboo stick, for the monk was experienced in his art and saw the thoughts of his novices in the eyes.

2. The monk was in no hurry, he dwelt at length on the details of the objects that he described, penetrated into all the senses, not limited to visual images. He could describe a few minutes a simple stone. When a monk described a path of stones, it was so. Here you see a flat stone, gray with black veins, the surface of the stone is slightly rough to the touch, you touch it, take it, it is 2 palms wide, 3 long, put on the ground. The stone is gray with black veins, gray, etc. Next, you step on the second stone, it is sharp, it hurts to walk on it, it is granite, with reddish patches, next to a blade of grass, ants crawling on the stone, etc. Thus was built a path of 15 stones, called the Alley of Seasons. While they were building, grass grew around, so the process took at least a month.

3. So was the training of novices, the monk talked about stones, paths, avenues, buildings, pagodas and other wonders of his inner world, which together made up the Inner Temple. All students built the same Temples, which consisted of 20 buildings (although it was apparently divided into buildings especially for us, in fact it was one), each of which carried its innermost meaning. In the center of the Temple stood the Main Pagoda, which contained a huge amount of various objects and details and was designed to memorize everything that may be needed in life, and maybe even for sacred, moral and spiritual purposes.

4. Apparently, in addition to building meditations, novices did various exercises and were subjected to checks. We learned that novices performed this exercise: imagined a pearl and mentally put it in a box, then a box with a pearl was put in another box, then a third and so on at least 1000, and then it was necessary to instantly open all the boxes and remove the pearl . Or such an exercise: imagined themselves as a fly inside the ring, where black and white stripes alternated. I had to mentally run through this ring 360 degrees from the inside. This was considered a particularly difficult exercise. Or this: imagined how the dragon moves, twisting rings, and tried to mentally see each ring and each scale on the body of the dragon. Or: they laid out multi-colored stones on a finely painted, multi-colored Korean table and tried to instantly grasp and remember the location of the stones.

5. In the process of learning, novices also studied a certain set of disciplines besides the art of memory: martial arts, medicine, medicinal herbs, history, etc. The total time of daily training was about 12 hours. It can be assumed that mnemonic art took 2-3 hours. When studying and applying this set of disciplines, the Temple was necessarily used. All of them were connected with the Temple by some kind of mental connection, but for their mnemonic placement in the Western sense, one building was enough that also included a library. After some time, the novices developed an excellent memory, not understandable to the Western man.

6. When training was observed the strictest discipline. The monk did not study separately with each novice; he simply kept his descriptions to the limit of the person’s capabilities, so after the mnemonic training the students were very tired. If the monk saw that the disciples were getting used to his rhythm, he accelerated. It was also believed that the state during the construction of the Temple was different from the state during the use of the Temple, so students in the process of construction were sometimes introduced into certain states, such as anger, to build anger room.

7. The whole process of building was divided into portions, which separated the blows of the stick. The monk described in detail some object, then struck with a stick, and novices left this object, going on to the next. If someone was lagging or distracted, the monk said: “Forget everything after the last blow.” And they erased a portion from the Temple, and the monk described it again.

8. The novices were not in a hurry to master, they carefully worked through all the details of their Inner Temple, delved into every detail. The full cycle of training lasted at least 7 years, and sometimes reached 10. The Temple maintained the principle of time, so it was impossible to plant and grow a tree in one day. Therefore, trees and grass grew slowly, but trees had time to grow while novices studied.

9. In the end, when the Temple was ready, the monk announced that novices needed to destroy their Temple to the remainder and only after it they could finally master the secret art of memory. And so the monks erased their Temples, and some of them mastered the art, they began to memorize everything that they see, hear and feel, without using the Temple. And some of them could not master. And then the monk asked: “How did you destroy your Temple?” “We burned him.” “Left ashes!” Apparently not everyone was given to master this art. There was even a way to determine if a student could master the art, otherwise he was not taught at all.

10. The art of memory was handed down from generation to generation, word of mouth. In the monastery there were several monks who owned this art. Moreover, the similarity of the Temples that were built to all novices allowed other monks to gain access to the memory by a novice. They even said that it could be done against their will, with the help of some drinks and meditative states. Therefore, in the process of training novices did not require to show creativity and introduce some kind of novelty in the buildings. They were told that they saw, but did not tell them to do or build something. Thus, the Temple slowly emerged from the fog, first buildings appeared on the horizon, then they became more detailed. Novices were also never asked to describe what their Temple looked like, rather they were told what it should look like.

11. It may seem that the Temple was a mental copy of the monastery in which it was trained, but it is not. The Inner Temple was much larger. For example, in the real temple there was no Main Pagoda, located behind the second gate.

12. Next, we consider the structure of the Inner Temple and the purpose of its individual buildings. Figure 1 shows the scheme of the Temple, it is rather approximate and compiled by us, since all the descriptions that we heard were speculative.

Figure 1. Scheme of the Inner Temple

1. Construction of the Temple began with clearing the site. Each novice cleaned the place under the construction of mnemic debris. Then they built the Great Gate (building 1). The Great Gate led to the Temple. At the first stage of the construction of the Temple, each lesson began with the entrance to the Temple through the Great Gate. The exact purpose of the Big Gate and their appearance is not known. Perhaps the gate was used to prepare the mind for the entrance to the Temple. In appearance, the gates most likely differed from the western gates; they looked more like a small house with an opening, as is usually done in Korean temples. It is also worth mentioning that the architecture of Korean temples involves up to four consecutive gates that lead to the main hall of the temple. These gates are called: the Gate of One Pillar, the Gate of Heavenly Kings, the Gate of Non-Duality, and the Gate of Liberation. In the Inner Temple there were only two gates: large and small. The construction of the Temple can be divided geographically into 2 stages: before the Small Gate and after the Small Gate. At the first stage, each construction began with clearing the site; at the second stage, this was not required.

2. Near the Big Gate inside the Temple there were 2 towers: the Round Tower (building 2) and the Guard Tower (building 3). It is known that the Round Tower was used to determine the time. It was a three-story and had horizontal stripes. Perhaps these bands were the time scale. It is also possible that the tower was used as a sundial. It is known that the monks were able to accurately determine the time of day, it is possible that this was due to the Round Tower.

3. The Guardian Tower was below the Round Tower, it was square with the roof curved up, which is typical of Korean pagodas and other buildings. It was believed that the roof was folded, so that evil spirits were not comfortable to sit on the roof. The mnemonic purpose of the Guard Tower is not known. It can be assumed that the guards meant the Four Heavenly Kings, who according to Buddhist cosmology are defenders of the world and fighters with evil, each has a legion of supernatural beings to protect the dharma. In this case, the Guardian Tower could cultivate virtue in novices in a certain mnemonic way, constantly returning their consciousness to the dharma as they entered the Temple and passed by the tower. No wonder the towers are located at the entrance, unwittingly recalling the importance of time and virtue.

4. From the Big Gate to the Small Gate led a path of stones, called the Alley of Seasons (building 4). Alley Seasons consisted of 15 stones. All the stones were of different shapes, colors and lay asymmetrically, the stone on the right, the stone on the left, etc. Seasons Alley was used to store time.

Most likely each stone corresponded to the day of the season. As early as the 3rd century BC The Chinese divided the year into 24 seasons, each season corresponded to a specific position of the Sun in the system of celestial coordinates and had a duration of 15 days. The “extra days” that do not fit here run into “inserted seasons” that align the overall picture, keeping the points of the Winter and Summer Solstices, the Autumn and Spring Equinoxes near their exact astronomical coordinates. This system of seasons has been preserved to this day. Below are the names of the seasons translated into Russian.

1. The beginning of spring

2. Rain

3. The awakening of insects

4. Vernal equinox

5. Clear days

6. Bread rains

7. Early summer

8. Small abundance

9. Heading bread

10. Summer Solstice

11. Low heat

12. Great heat

13. The beginning of autumn

14. The end of the heat

15. White dew

16. Autumn Equinox

17. Cold dew

18. Loss of frost

19. The beginning of winter

20. Small snow

21. Big snow

22. Winter Solstice

23. Small cold

24. Great cold

According to some sources, the traditional Chinese calendar is a universal map, connecting time, space and man, a holistic description, where all objects and phenomena of the surrounding world are linked in a consistent system. Time is a reality that permeates everything, organizing events, phenomena and our sensations. According to Chinese views, the very process of thinking, that is, analyzing and synthesizing perceived reality, is a sequence of transitions from cycle to cycle, connecting our attention with each instant, and the calendar is the tool with which you can practically master time. Apparently, the Chinese and Korean views coincided in this respect. It is also likely that the art of the Inner Temple existed in China.

1. On both sides of the Alley of Seasons were the Poles For Shots (construction 5). Bollards for strikes were built in parallel with the Alley of Seasons, on the pillar on each side of the stone alley. The pillars had different heights, and possibly different thicknesses. Such pillars were usually used in temples in order to work out the balance while walking on them, as well as for strikes. The mnemonic purpose of the Pillars For The Beats is not known. Perhaps, in the aggregate, the alley and pillars were used for mental training in martial arts or for developing tactile sensations of the body. It is also known that the alley with pillars divided the territory of the first stage into two halves: the right and the left. And it was not by chance: the buildings of each half used different thinking tools. At first it may seem that under the tools of thinking there is a view of the functional asymmetry of the brain, but on closer examination you come to the conclusion that this is not so.

2. On the left side of the alley there was a complex building, including a number of sheds (building 6): a library and bedrooms, etc. Each barn of this building had its own purpose, but all of them, apparently, were of a utilitarian nature. It is known that all the information that had to be specially remembered was located in this building. What in Western mnemonics is known as the method of loci or the method of Cicero most of all in function was similar to this construction. At the same time, it is not necessary to naively assume that the monks used this building as primitively as ancient rhetoricians. It is also known that this building was one of the largest in the Temple, but no more than the Main Pagoda.

3. On the right side of the alley was the Garden (building 7). The exact description of the Garden is not known, but descriptions of the late modification of the garden are preserved, which may be very close to the original. So, the Garden consisted of 49 trees, possibly fruit, which grew in the course of training. A path stretched between the trees, so much so that if it took about 15 minutes to walk slowly along it. The garden was intended to restore forgotten information. As mentioned above, there was a difference in the thinking tool between the right and left sides (buildings 6 and 7). If the information located in the Library was not remembered, they went to the Garden, and slowly passing between the trees, they took it out. It is difficult to guess which memory mechanism or thinking tool was used for this. We believe that each tree had a certain value, as well as a set of information fields associated with it. While walking slowly through the trees, they focused on what needs to be remembered. Overlaying the informational fields of trees provided the result, causing in-depth insight into the subject matter.

4. The territory of the first stage was separated from the territory of the second stage by the Small Gate and the Inner Wall (building 8). The inner wall was a separate building on which standards were placed. Standards were visible from the territory of the first stage. Neither about their forms, nor about their number is not known. It is only known that they were used to store historical information, namely the history of their clan. The history of the clan included various historical information regarding

being, people, etc.

1. The Small Gate (building 9) led to the inner courtyard of the Inner Temple. Entering the gate meant going to the next level of consciousness. After they were ready and penetrated into them, they no longer left the Temple at the end of the lesson, but remained there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Also, after the transition to the second level of consciousness, the second stage of the structure of the Temple began, that is, the construction of necessary structures in the courtyard. And in the courtyard to clear a place under the building was not required. All construction activities in the outer courtyard were stopped, now the outer part was only used. It can be assumed that the second gate caused a deeper purification of consciousness. Most likely, the Great Gate corresponded to the Gate of Heavenly Kings in the traditional Korean temple, and the Small Gate corresponded to the Gate of Non-Duality. This may shed some light on the Small Gate destination.

2. Behind the Small Gate there was a Path of Stones (building 10), leading to the Main Pagoda. The Path of Stones consisted of rectangular stones and was 3 stones wide and 20 long. The purpose of the track is …
    Continued in the application

5 Likes

Again,very interesting.Thank you very much.

Thanks. Your answer clarifies many of my doubts.I also have the dream of creating a powerful mnemonic system like the ones that were idealized by Leibniz, Giordano Bruno and Ramon Lull

1 Like

For further reading https://translate.yandex.ru/translate?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmnemology.blogspot.com%2F&lang=ru-en

Now I recrafting the whole system from scratch, again. All due to the fact that the basis of palaces of memory you need to lay such things as: valency and qualia.
Structures generated from hypergraphs and transition matrices are not enough
You can read about qualia/valence here https://www.qualiaresearchinstitute.org/our-research

All in mind palace or temple need to be procedural with meta-grammar, like mentioned in paper here:

3 Likes

Hi,

You should revisit the works of Ramon Lull, then check out the history of Analog computers.

One should NOT bypass what Lull did…it’s the pioneers that get overlooked all the time due to the “primitiveness” of their inventions.

Stefos

2 Likes

I started with Llull and Bruno. And of course I discovered that combinatorial circles are like a primitive automaton, and in some cases a computer.

I just want to find new foundations based on the discoveries of modern sciences. The idea is to lay the maximum potential and flexibility in the structure, taking into account the characteristics of the brain, in order to work with any modern information.

This is similar to the simultaneous creation of a programming language and a physical engine on the under-studied proactive wetware for processing any data.

Main idea is to create feedback loops for endless recursive improvement of subsystems and the system as a whole, taking into account vital KPIs and the ability to automate, delegate part of the processes to ordinary AI assistants. For example, a primitive temple makes a temple cooler, and a cool temple creates a temple even cooler. The idea is copied from the concept of technological singularity;D

1 Like

Then you have to undertake the study of Neuroscience which “kinda” goes beyond the constraints of this forum.

Welcome to readings from MIT, Cornell and Oxford. :slight_smile:

They’ll cost you

Stefos

1 Like

Now I work remotely as a marketing director for an agency in the USA:) But live in a poor country:) There is too much boring work, so I remembered that you mentioned an alternative way to make money :slight_smile: It sounds tempting - thanks for the idea!

For further development of the system, I ran into the limitations of the current understanding of valency and qualia - without a mathematical model, my work will not interest universities :slight_smile:

I advanced in the meta-grammar of locus structures. geometrical seeds-indexes + semantic processing for them are either generated or constructed by me with three approaches that I like most, taken from here:
4D Polyhedral Pattern Language

L-SYSTEMS and cellular automate (Umberto Roncoroni). I already mentioned his work about Quipus mnemocoding above.
http://www.digitalpoiesis.org/index.html

Also, make fast pragmatic models in Wolfram One notebooks. It is quite expensive, but I love its entities :()

In order not to go into abstract things, I try to connect them with those necessary in work and for health.

Then I connect everything with probabilistic-node mnemonics. With the expectation of the variability of relationships between models. This is similar to how micro-proteins, peptides, and proteins work, only more complicated due to interaction with brain functions. It sounds complicated, but, we all, to some extent, use these things unknowingly.
A small example.
Imagine a car approaching you at dusk. It’s not very important for you. Your attention slides over the car icon because you could not determine its brand.
500 meters - you think that this is an old Mercedes 79% or Hyundai 20%.
300 meters - the icon is rethought again. You think you see 60% Saab and not Mercedes.
200 meters 70% - you think that this is the Volga.
10 meters 100% is some kind of car - and already in front of your nose, you see that this is some kind of new Chinese car. Remember the signs. Probabilistic relationships are rebuilt and fixed with new weights. And all this happens as an invisible symphony of raw data. You do not see the ways of your thoughts because of the limitation of working memory. We do hundreds of thousands of such calculations with various combinations of neural paths. Especially a lot of independently living “hypotheses” are made by the visual cortex. Try to look at the road for a long time while you are being driven somewhere. Then close your eyes. Do you see the road in motion? According to the latest discoveries in 2019, there are much more such self-supporting visual models in our head than expected and, as I showed above, they are fighting for what you believe :slight_smile:
A kind of Bayesian battlefield :slight_smile: If you digitize, optimize, work out and remember every module that is interesting and accessible to you, you will optimize your cognitive functions. Not all, unfortunately, are available. I was able to capture most of the elements from the Cattell-Horn-Carrol (CHC) theory

as well as for 4000 scrapped skills from LinkedIn(superficially because of lack of acmeology knowledge).

I hope that motivated someone to explore these areas. I just don’t have the opportunity to apply for 99% of what I’m inventing. The work of concluding complex changeable concepts in 4D moving semantic figures is useful only in the first stages in working with clients from obscure niches. Using mnemonic Bayesian nodes and their activation paths only for testing hypotheses in already well-known areas that I can describe deductively.

If anyone else uses mathematical or algorithmic methods to generate memory palaces - join. Linguists and people who are developing a new version of ithkuil on Reddit are also welcome to help with loci-grammar:) And also all those who are curious - I can give more examples.

2 Likes

I am happy to see that you are making progress on your system. I believe that you are one of the few people to make scientific advances with the art of mnemonics. Although I barely have enough technical knowledge to understand what you are doing I hope you continue posting news here on the forum

1 Like

Btw do you know schenkel? His work was the closest to the temple of memory: https://www.academia.edu/30511503/From_domus_sapientiae_to_artes_excerpendi_Lambert_Schenkel_s_De_memoria_1593_and_the_Transformation_of_the_Art_of_Memory_in_A._Cevolini_ed._Forgetting_Machines_Knowledge_Management_Evolution_in_Early_Modern_Europe_Leiden_Boston_Brill_2016_pp._58-78
Also, forum member created a post about using Lambda Calculus to do mental math, maybe that interests you.

2 Likes

Know part of. But use his system in different way because I prefer “backgrounds” to boring “spaces” with only geometry as a differentiators.

He mostly make use of “fractal cell”.
Each wall in his palaces has simple “fractalization”

Each my wall in every palace has “background” it can be architecture ones like abstract “SuperJail” or be “person wallpaper” or be context like anomalous energy burst from s.t.a.l.k.e.r. When you need fractals - just pinpoint other backgrounds on parts of first - like in Schenkelius example.

He also uses something like a deductive city where everything goes from an abstract broad category to a narrower one.
300px-Sierpinskisnowflake

Interesting thing is that his model does not exclude flexibility and resembles a css grid layout in “3d-like” space of incomplete Sierpinski-Menger snowflakes.

I can’t buy the book, so I can only hypothesize for the parts that are available for free.

Thank you for compliment!
I now ran into a limitation. This limitation I called the “meta-skills actualization barrier”.
Now I really began to doubt the system as some of the thousands of skills began to fade over time. The knowledge of micro-skills(micro-algorithms) is with me, but a kind of meta-skills spectrum are lost. Those meta-skills(they also have meta-meta skills) gluing all the others into a harmonious melody.

Imagine entering a game you haven’t played for a long time. You are a former champion, you can do things that are not available to the average player(by mnemology of course), but now to become a champion again you will have to go through a retraining(brain connections reactivation) course - get into the ranks. Some part of the understanding of important “little things” fades, the overall performance also falls. But you can also decompose micro-skills again with renewed understanding and build updated meta-skill.
Meta Skills would seem to be an obvious thing, but I just can’t fix it with mnemonics. Temporarily:)

I believe that my post on transfer learning can help you a bit which has information about transfer learning which according to a discription from Wikipedia is

Transfer learning (TL) is a research problem in machine learning (ML) that focuses on storing knowledge gained while solving one problem and applying it to a different but related problem. For example, knowledge gained while learning to recognize cars could apply when trying to recognize trucks.

And even though it is not a solved problem but transfer learning gives very good results and is used by humans and because transfer learning focuses on storing knowledge gained while solving one problem and applying it to a different but related problem I believe it can be used with some success in your memory technique,

Since it is used by humans to transfer knowlage from one similar task to other such as learning two languages it can also be used in learning new tasks more faster.

And for your example of car,"knowledge gained while solving one problem can be applied to solve different but related problem. For example, knowlage used for recognizing cars can also be used to recognise cars as both of them like significant number of things and skills contain similar features which when tweaked can be used to perform the other task and vice-versa which can happen by transfer learning which our brain does but I believe for different things.

And using and reusing the knowlage gained by transfer learning over a some time(may be by using the nodes of time)can save not only storage space but also processing power,

And my post is below

And I also think that since specific meta-skills are forgotten about which you know about than as a quick thought of mine you can encode your background knowlage of your meta skills in a background and in the real world you can make certain objects in places which you visit after some time as triggers for your memory palace and for activating that background knowlage which may help you to retain your understanding of those little things which are important,

As this is a **compression ** strategy which I found in the website below

And maybe using Schema, visual markers will also help you in understanding what you have ln understanding more of what you learn or by using mind maps have learnt.

3 Likes

Already did it. It’s hard to manage without digitalization of every knowledge bit. Even if you have memory palaces for each bit of meta-skill you also need to have hyperlinks for it’s intersections with others + optimal algorithm to activate it without loading everything in overcrowded “temporary memory palace”. Due to the constant double living of life in real life and in a virtual temple, the brain is constantly at different stages of the learning process.
You can check my Learning Scheme 0.1.12, please comment about possible improvements.

I partially bypassed the limitations of working memory, but I cannot get around the limitations in the design of the buffer - the “temporary memory palace”, since it is impossible to calculate the optimal way of activating memory blocks to reconstitute an unused meta-skill. Degradation begins in a week until the meta-skill is almost completely forgotten.