Procedural memory training

Hi everyone,

I was wondering besides reading a few pages in his book “How to have a Perfect memory” by Dominic O’Brien, who has read about procedural memory training elsewhere?

Remembering languages and names/faces is fine and needed obviously but Procedural memory is where it’s at for me.

Thank you,
Stefos

1 Like

Hi, Stefos. I am also interested in procedural memory.
I would like to learn how to find my way around in woods, which have windy, unnamed paths, so I think that’s along the lines of what you refer to as “procedural memory.” Have you come across any useful resources? What procedure are you pursuing?

I am Russian-speaking, and I’m not sure that I correctly understood your definition, what did you mean by procedural memory, short-term?

Hi, AttiLa-24. No, not short-term memory. It’s not a typical expression so I’m not surprised you haven’t heard it. Procedural memory is actually a type of long-term memory.
It is memory of the steps in a process. Like how to bake a cake. The steps in the order required. Riding a bike and walking are typical examples and usually “procedural memory” is encoded unconsciously through repeated experience.
Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Hi Carollyn,

Well, the only thing I could find was a sports oriented book…doesn’t help what I want to do however. :slight_smile:

It seems that you have to buy a book on a particular topic and then link each step accordingly
OR in your case:
I would create a stick figure or something that you could use to mark a particular intersection and go at it from there.

Yeah…procedural memory is something that has to be done using the “link” associative system.

Stefos
P.S. I will PM you what I’m doing with the procedural memory training…If I learn how to Private Message here!

I understood you. You are talking about procedural memory, I read a lot about neurobiology in translation, because it is difficult for me to perceive the game of words on these topics) From what I read, I can confidently say that this does not make sense. About many successful athletes who showed unusual things, such as Samart Payakaroon, whom many consider the greatest fighter of the Golden Era Muay Thai. He was an ambidexter in the ring and also performed brilliantly in boxing. Or UFC legend Anderson Silva, who has the highest degree of mastery in Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo and so mastered the technique of boxing, capueiro and jeet kune do. Their successes are explained by developed muscle memory (another definition for procedural memory). But this is a mistake from a scientific point of view. In the vast majority of people, muscle memory is actually on the same level. Most of them are capable of performing the whole majority of the most diverse tasks that require well-developed reflexes and motor skills. Of course, sportsmen have better muscle memory, but not so much. The ability of fighters to remember entire scenarios of a fight has a semantic basis. This is similar to the memory of chess grandmasters. Absolutely any person can bring physical actions to automatism if he repeats this a sufficient number of times. The point is different, for example, how to remember the complex phume in taekwondo? In order to bring it to automatism, you must remember it semantically. Dominic O’Brien offered to represent himself making the right movement in each of his locks. on the example of yoga. But personally, I believe that this system is imperfect, and you can do more witty. In any sport there are typical movements. In taekwondo, these are strokes: up chagi, dole chagi, yeop chagi, twig chagi and others. Assign a number to each stroke. Let the dollyo chagie be 32, cross 21 and so on. You only need to fix the connection between the movement and the figure for a week. And after that you will be able to memorize the most ingenious combinations of these movements at a glance. Further, you will only need to regularly perform these movements in order to fix them at the level of muscle memory. Of course, this is my system, and it can have many shortcomings. But personally, I never heard that someone invented something sick completed.

1 Like