Political Science - How to remember who said what

I am studying a masters course in Political Science and international relations.

I am having some difficulty in remembering names of scholars and commentators. I remember the concepts fairly easily but it is this ‘who said what’ component that is hard.

e.g. It is fairly intuitive to know that someone would critique Marx on his obstinance with materialism. So, the way out is more focus on ideas, than physical things. This fat it goes well. concepts are remembered.

But, the person who actually first gave this critique was a guy named Gramsci. Now, it is hard to remember that -

1. It was Gramsci who said this, and nothing else.
  2. This thing was said by gramsci and no one else (many actually had, this is only for example of the memory difficulty)

Can anyone suggest memory methods for this sort of an exercise? the normal ‘note taking and revising’ method is boring and exhausting.
Thanks!

I think the best way to approach this is to link the idea behind the criticism to the name of the critic, and to do that you’ll need to create an image to represent the idea, and then an image to represent the name of the critic, then make those two images interact in a memorable way. Suppose you have an image of big castle to represent a certain idea, and an image of an umbrella to represent a critic’s name. Then you might imagine a HUGE umbrella covering the entire castle. Once those images become linked together in your mind, when you think of one you’ll think of the other, and hopefully those images will remind of the idea and the name of the critic.