Please help?

Hello, everyone☘️

I always feel anxious and afraid because I forget some of the pictures in the palace and I’m afraid that I will forget with them what I wanted to save

I only started practicing memory for a short time, and my memorization was limited to shopping lists, some verses of poetry and playing cards.
It was fun and easy but when it comes to studying, I’m afraid to remember
Especially if it is related to a fateful exam
I memorize using memory art
It took a long time to memorize
And when I do not find the required competence, such as forgetting some pictures or being slow to extract the pictures again from the palace, or seeing the pictures and not remembering what they symbolized

I have some fear and there is something inside me that tells me that repetition is better for memorizing and that I will not be able to remember in the exam and then I start worrying
Even something that takes 3 hours to save
It takes 7 hours to save half of it because
this thinking

And he continued in a state of internal conflict between repetition is better or the art of memory is better

I know the art of memory is better, but this is what happens when I try to memorize something related to study in the way of memory.

But we always tend to what we are used to or things that are familiar

Am I the only one who had these thoughts at first??

How do I overcome this???

(Sorry for the spelling mistakes I’m still a beginner in English :sweat_smile:)

:butterfly:Thanks in advance for the help​:butterfly:

4 Likes

Memory techniques do not entirely eliminate repetition. They improve the encoding and decoding process, but with retrieval practice, long term memories are unlikely to form.

I’ve unfortunately gone through much stress and anxiety in my younger years. I don’t know if it relates to what you’re going through, but the things that helped most were:

Dietary improvements
Fitness
Meditation
Memorizing meditative content
Better sleep
Not taking life too seriously

Keep going and enjoy the journey. It can be enjoyable! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi there,

There are 3 main types of memory techniques:

1. Peg system (Link basically)

2. Memory Palace

3. Major system for #'s

You have to do the memory techniques to be very good at them.

Start small and work up

OK? :slight_smile:
Stefos

2 Likes

I know exactly how you feel because I felt the same way about school. I was always worried about missing something for a test or on homework. So I ended up spending a lot of extra time reviewing and studying. I made myself sick doing this for about 3 years of my high school years.

There is only one thing you have to focus on because it seems you are dealing with the same mentality that you want to get good marks on your exam and do well when it comes to studying. The thing you have to focus on is your mentality because what the problem is at the core has nothing to do with memory techniques.

The first thing you need to realize is that it doesn’t matter if you fail a test, homework, or even school. You can still be successful regardless of what school “shows.” A failing grade does not tell anything about you and what you can do. I always thought that if I got an F on a test that it meant that I was a failure too. This doesn’t make any sense.

In college, there were times where I got F’s on a quiz. This would make other people cry (I went to an engineering school so this happened) or get worried about their grade. The F’s didn’t even phase me . I saw them and said “Roger that.” I would learn from my mistakes and get amazing grades on the tests. My grades for tests were better than most people who got A’s on the quizzes I failed!!

So all this anxiousness and being afraid comes from some external thing, in this case grades/test/school/studying, directing reflecting you as a person. This will never be true and when you realize this fact, you will not be afraid of forgetting something or getting a bad grade. You will make the right adjustments so you can do better next time. I promise if you do this mentality change, it will literally transform your life. I have other personal examples I can tell you if you want!

I hope this helps you!

3 Likes

Totalmente de acuerdo con la respuestas dadas, es fundamental que modifiques el enfoque y no le des a un examen o a los exámenes mayor importancia de la que realmente tienen, recuerda que muchos grandes genios obtuvieron malas calificaciones escolares, jeje. Si cuando vas a realizar un examen piensas que te estas jugando la vida (en sentido figurado), ello hará que el día del examen estés muy nervioso porque, claro, “te estás jugando la vida” o que es algo importantísimo, y esto, hará que tu subconsciente califique esa actividad como nociva para ti, y tratará de evitar que la realices con sus artimañas, generará ansiedad, nervios, dolor de tripa etc. Lo que seguramente hará que bajes el rendimiento o incluso puedas llegar a tener bloqueo mental.
Por tanto, se debe relativizar respecto de los exámenes y saber que si alguno se suspende se puede aprobar en un futuro. Además si un examen no sale bien de nada sirve flagelarse y torturarse mentalmente. Lo que se debe hacer es buscar las causas y tratar de ponerle solución, quizás no nos preparemos adecuadamente para el tipo concreto de examen (escrito, oral, preguntas cortas, largas,…), quizás no dediquemos la constancia o el tiempo de estudio necesario, etc., así, la próxima vez cuando vayamos al examen, lo veremos como una oportunidad de demostrar lo mejorado en la materia, y no habrá miedo al suspenso, porque en este último caso no tendremos el recuerdo de torturas anteriores, sabremos que siempre habrá otra oportunidad, y consecuentemente saldrá mejor.
Además de lo anterior, es muy recomendable en épocas de estrés hacer deporte y cuidar la alimentación, técnicas de relajación, porque reducen considerablemente la ansiedad. Pero lo fundamental es cambiar el enfoque y ver los exámenes un trámite que es posible repetir. Sé que cambiar el enfoque puede resultar difícil pero es posible.
Por otra parte, también creo que las técnicas de memoria no eliminan la repetición. Ellas son un valor añadido, nos permiten hacer el estudio más eficaz y divertido, haciendo asociaciones fantásticas, con clavijas, historietas, dibujos, mapas mentales,… y grabar la información con mayor seguridad y tiempo, sin embargo, es necesaria la repetición para almacenar a largo plazo. Esta repetición debe ser de mayor frecuencia y tiempo en aquello que nos resulte mas difícil, y menor en lo fácil.
Unos consejos obvios: sigue practicando las técnicas y cada vez tendrás más confianza en ellas, pregunta el tipo de examen y prepáralo según sea, consigue, de ser posible, exámenes de años anteriores, disfruta estudiando y observando tu evolución en las materias.
Ánimo y espero haber podido ayudar.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice :blossom:

But I’m just worried that I haven’t practiced enough to use memory techniques to memorize
So I’m worried that I’ll forget because I’m not trained enough and I’m afraid he won’t work well for me :persevere:

(I know that grades and averages do not determine whether you are smart or not, but rather it determines the field or specialization that you will study in college, so I cannot think that way :persevere:)
(Sorry for the delay in replying :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Lo mejor es estudiar como uno se sienta más cómodo y seguro, En gran medida el aprendizaje o el recuerdo de datos, como cualquier otra habilidad, depende de la confianza que uno tenga en su método y en si mismo al realizarla, y ello, asimismo, depende de la práctica y motivación. Además, si has practicado poco las técnicas de memoria es normal que tengas preocupación por el olvido. No obstante, creo que no deberías dejar de practicar las técnicas de memoria en tu estudio aunque sea de forma residual y complementaria, porque con la práctica irás ganando confianza en ellas, y tu preocupación al olvido desaparecerá. Eso sí, seguirá siendo necesaria la repetición inteligente para consolidar los conocimientos a L/P.
Un saludo.

1 Like

thank you very much☘️

Sorry another question :sweat_smile:

When I proceed to the spaced repetition, I find that I have forgotten half of the pictures
And when I walk in the palace, I find that it has some empty parts that I have already put pictures in

Is this because the pictures are silly, or because they are a little close to reality, or because my pictures are a little blurry??!!!

This will come with experience. You will become a more gifted mnemonist and recall easier and also create stronger disciplines. I also recommend practice with the words discipline as this will get you used to creating new images.

The good thing with studying for an exam versus a memory competition is you get that extra review. Use it.

Also, a lesson learned from Hermann Ebbinghaus after 1 hour of study review what you learned in the previous day before 24 hours passes for at least 10 minutes

2 Likes

When you look at an empty station where you put images, pause and try to see the images there. Don’t just assume that they are not there. Let your mind bring them up. It might take several seconds or longer. Some of the time that should work if you made the images strong enough.

Happy practicing.

2 Likes

Comparto las ideas aportadas por los compañeros. En 1er. lugar, al recordar se debe dar tiempo al cerebro para que evoque las imágenes, además es bueno esforzarse en intentar recordarlas, al igual que es bueno esforzarse en cualquier otro deporte porque evolucionarás más rápido en él. Pero si no te salen las imágenes no hay que agobiarse sino simplemente perfeccionar las técnicas para que sean más efectivas. Haz autoanálisis para ver cuales son las que recuerdas mejor y el por qué de ello (le dedicaste más tiempo, visualizaste mejor, fue mas graciosa,…
Por otra parte si cuando procedes a la repetición espaciada ya has olvidado la mitad de las imágenes, y no las puedes recordar ni dándole tiempo al cerebro, pueden ser muchas las causas, pero la principal es que la hiciste demasiado espaciada en el tiempo, jeje. Los repasos deben ser muy frecuentes al principio, más en lo más difícil, para dejar una impronta mayor, y más espaciados posteriormente.
Lo ideal, aunque depende de la dificultad de la materia, lo textual que haya que saberla y el tiempo disponible, y no es una regla fija, sería repasar en el mismo día, al día siguiente, a los 15 días, al mes, 3, 6 meses. Mira, por encima para tener una idea, por internet, la curva del olvido te comentaban de Hermann Ebbinghaus, y tambien mira el sistema de tarjetas en cajas que diseñó Sebastian Leitner (este último no lo usé pero puede dar ideas).
Es decir debes repasar antes de olvidar tanta (50%) información.
Otra cuestión, debes tratar de visualizar con la mayor nitidez posible y obtener sensaciones al hacerlo, mejor si son estrambóticas y divertidas, aunque uso el sistema de casillero mezclado con historietas vivas y fantásticas y recibo sensaciones que es muy eficaz, entre otras técnicas, no los palacios de la memoria (que tengo pensado en breve probarlo dada la eficacia que me ha quedado probada por los comentarios de este foro y la facilidad para encontrar escenarios distintos según el caso)
Por último, soy novel en técnicas de memoria, así que mis consejos son subjetivos, usa sólo aquello que veas acertado.
Espero haberte ayudado.

1 Like

Thank you, I will follow your advice

What should I do if I remember the pictures but I don’t remember what (words) in the abstract words stand for???

Will with spaced repetition, will you remember the pictures, even if they were bad?!

When I turn some abstract pictures into bad pictures, I really can’t find good pictures for them. I think I lack creativity and sometimes I don’t find pictures of them at all. What do you do in this case too???

Is there a way to double my imagination speed?
I memorize I memorize 25 pages in 6 or 7 hours It took about 3 minutes to find pictures for each line and 3 or 6 to find the link and paste it in the palace?

Sorry I think I ask too much
:sweat_smile:

Hi Ema,

If you remember your imagery but you don’t remember what it stands for, you need to add to your images. Add something that will give you enough of a clue or clues as to what it stands for.

Every time you recall images from a memory place station/loci you can make them better if you need to. Tweak them. My imagery is more like little movies that are short (a few seconds long). I often add sound. You are the director and it’s your movie. Do whatever you need to do to get you to what you are trying to remember. Make them crazy and fun.

You are pasting into your memory palace? My memory palaces are in my mind. I might have a drawing of some of them somewhere but mostly I don’t. I do keep lists of them (I have lots). So I’m not quite sure what you are doing there. Yes, that sounds slow. No doubt with practice you will improve a lot. It’s a skill. Think of it like learning guitar or something.

You can get ideas from the internet but making stuff up in your imagination is faster and better practice.

Anything you retrieve using spaced repetition will be solidified in memory. Bad images or not. Are there any bad images? Whatever works is good.

You should learn pretty fast if you are memorizing that much. All the best!

2 Likes

Hi deeptravel

Can you explain more??

Won’t improving the pictures cause ghosts to appear in the palace??

You used images to get you to the word. Now you need more images for the definition. Use as many images as you need for that.

Improving or adding to existing images is not going to create ghost images. You are not replacing it. You are making it better.

2 Likes

I think I understand that, thank you
Have a nice day :shamrock::shamrock:

1 Like

En mi caso hago igual que se ha mencionado, veo mini-películas que siempre tendrán alguna acción o movimiento, y personajes u objetos vivos que interactúan entre ellos, yo soy y/o siento en 1ra persona o como espectador, pero en lugar de ordenar la información con loci la ordeno con casilleros mentales, y ello me trae el inconveniente de tener que crear nuevos casilleros para diferenciar mejor, cuando, creo que con loci sería todo más rápido. Por ejemplo, para casi todo lo que quiera poner un orden uso siempre mi casillero preferido, un error, porque cuando entreno me ocurre que a veces recuerdo mejor lo memorizado anteriormente que lo último memorizado y me crea inseguridad. Pero poco a poco. jeje. que esto es un juego y como tal hay que tomarlo.
Por otra parte como siento lo que visualizo (no siempre) intento que no sea dolor, angustia, etc (aunque funciona), porque creo que es lo mas fácil, no muy beneficioso salvo que seas masoca, y limita la creatividad.
Por otra parte, siempre debes dar pistas, es decir debemos relacionar la información desconocida con información que ya conocemos y así la anclamos a la memoria a LP. Pondré algos ejemplos:
Si quiero aprenderme un orden de los párrafos de una poesía y supongamos que empieza: con la sombra en la cintura ella sueña en su baranda, verde carne, pelo verde con ojos de fria plata, pues visualizo, uniendo a mi nº 1 del casillero una mujer (conocida), en una baranda, que el sol le hace una sombra en su cintura en el suelo del tamaño de un anillo, y ella tiene carne y pelo verde y los ojos son cacerolas de plata. Así sé que es el primer párrafo, y tengo una idea de lo que dice.
Ahora sin orden:

• si quiero memorizar , por ejemplo, nombres científicos de especies animales, vegetales, anfibios, etc.:
    1 Alytes obstetricans (sapo partero común): Lo llaman sapo partero común porque siempre está de parto y tiene que ira a la médico de obstetricia, y entonces visualizo a ese sapo en concreto embarazado, que saca sus alitas y va volando a la consulta de obstetricia. jeje
    2.Pipistrellus pipistrellus (murciélago común o enano)- Visualizo a Batman haciendo Pipi en una estrella porque no se aguantaba. jeje
    3.Vulpes vulpes (zorro común) = Visualizo jugando a las cartas a un “zorro” (o al Zorro de la película) con un “bull”-dog, y se están apostando un “pes”-cado.
    Solo de recordarlo me estoy destornillando. jeje
    Si te fijas en todos los casos relaciono lo que conozco, por ejemplo en el último ejemplo: bull-dog y pescado, con lo que es: “el zorro”, y ello con lo que desconozco y quiero memorizar (el nombre científico). Las pistas de lo desconocido siempre trato que sean personas o cosas que conozco y que se llamen igual o empiecen igual que lo desconocido que quiero memorizar y las meto en la historia.
    Si practicas verás como tu creatividad se dispara muy rápidamente. En mi caso me ayudó mucho practicar con nros. porque gané mucha confianza y me di cuenta que cualquier cosa fantástica que visualices y te haga gracia la recordarás largo tiempo, y luego amplié a todos los ámbitos.
    Ánimo. Disfruta el camino y sin preocuparte por los resultados que vendrán solos.
1 Like