Placing "Roman Rooms" (SketchyPharm images) into a loci?

Hi!

I’m using SketchyMedicine to learn Pharmacology. It doesn’t cover all I have to know but it’s well-made and I’m having fun! With PHARMACOLOGY for the lols!

These sets consist of a location based upon a real location or theme (Egypt, Aztec Empire, Sushi restaurant, The 50’s, etc) and information being converted into images related to that theme (Egyptian gods, llama, ink, sushi, leather jackets, etc. each representing a single term or idea). The imagery is explained in the videos from SketchyMedicine, which are nicely explained in a short time.

I was wondering if I could place these “Roman rooms” that are already made into a loci that belongs to a real life location (my grandmother’s house is my memory palace this time). I’m trying hanging the pre-made “Roman room” as a picture on the wall, or in the water from the toilet, etc.). I’d then use the rest of that room (i.e. my grandmother’s kitchen) to fill up with information that SkecthyMedicine lacks and I need.

I’d consider this as a mini-“memory palace” (in fact it’s only one room per topic) inside a memory palace.
My question is if that “Roman room” will be clingy enough to stay in that loci or if it will disappear leaving the loci it was placed empty…

I could try experimenting and see what happens but I don’t want to fail my incoming exams. Please, any piece of advice is truly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and see you around!
Ailén B.

I think this is quite possible. It sounds very much like the “portals” that some people use in their memory palaces to transport them to entirely different palaces.

I haven’t used this technique myself, so my opinion on this might be wrong. But I would say that if you are going completely into a different environment when you enter a painting, etc., you need to a) clearly link that specific painting/toilet water/whatever to the specific location where you’ve placed it, and b) provide a strong link that brings you back to the original space once you’ve completed the SketchyMedicine space.

Here’s my reasoning for “a)”: If every room in your memory palace has a link to an additional SketchyMedicine location, you’ll need to have some way of knowing which SM location goes with which room. Otherwise, I think you could easily get confused. Similarly with “b),” you need to know where to pick up again once you return from each SM space.

I do see a potential challenge, though. My description above assumes a linear walk through the information in your space. But if you need to jump directly to information that isn’t in your main palace but is, instead, in one of these SketchyMedicine roman rooms, I’m not sure how easy that will be. It may be effortless; your mind may just jump directly to the relevant information you need. But you may also find yourself searching your main palace for the information instead of the roman room where it’s actually stored. (Again, I have no direct experience with this.)

Bob

1 Like

Have you ever had a dream where you discovered new rooms in your house? I would do it like that.

For example, put a fictitious door in the back of the shower or closet which leads to a suite of imaginary rooms. These rooms can be as exotic and extravagant as you wish.

This actually makes it easier to keep the journey contiguous, because you can put a separate exit door to the imaginary suite which takes you back to a separate room of the real house. (Although I don’t fnd contiguity to be an important requirement.)

2 Likes

I agree with the comment above. If you are going to make the sort of “portals” you want them to be doors going into place that seem like real rooms that make sense. Normally what I would do is use a place where I know the main area very well but there are many doors and alleys that I don’t know. Then this portal can be when you imagine yourself walking through a door that you actually don’t want the other side looks like. Your brain will then just assume your new fictitious room is actually what’s on the inside of the door. The fake door thing would also work would be less strong. I’ve done this before and when I was trying to remember what was on the other side of " the painting" for example, I was using my normal rote memory and not my mind Palace location memory.

1 Like