"Overactive neurons can shorten life span"

New research makes a molecular connection between the brain and aging — and shows that overactive neurons can shorten life span.

recently in Nature , Bruce Yankner, a professor of genetics and neurology at Harvard Medical School, and his colleagues reported on a previously overlooked controller of life span: the activity level of neurons in the brain.

In their new study, Yankner and his colleagues report that the brains of long-lived humans have unusually low levels of proteins involved in excitation, at least in comparison with the brains of people who died much younger. This finding suggests that the exceptionally old people probably had less neural firing.

4 Likes

The first two links don’t really say much - although they say it very well.

The third link suggests that worms with boosted levels of their version of REST (proteins named SPR-3 and SPR-4) had more controlled neural activity and lived longer.

I’m not sure if I can ask for these on the NHS - or whether they are only for worms.

Thanks.

1 Like

The pictures of brainscans reminded me of a similar analogy in Scott Hagwood’s book, memory power where he showed that memory training led to fewer neurons firing in a person with a trained memory.
So, if I understand correctly, memory training should be good for longevity. I am not surprised.

It’s rare that in complex systems (like in neuroscience) that you can make inferences like that. Especially across different levels of analysis (molecular level -> cognitive level). There’s normally a lot more at work than we can measure unfortunately but you may be right.

2 Likes