One Request and Some Questions.

Hello. First of all sorry for not being able to write a normal introduction as my nervous system works differently. Don’t think I am being dismissive or arrogant please.
I would like to do few requests and make some questions in topics, and feel free to answer those in the same manner, even because it is more easy:
1- Could you please provide a large peg system listed in lines?
2- How to integrate memorization to things in which need practice to be mastered, like mathematics, programming, and languages, and how to make memorization to make difference in the practical experience, and be not restricted to only the knowledge of some areas concept?
3- How to become fluent in comprehending (listening) and pronouncing a language at the same speed as memorization is done? (This question can be linked to question number 2)
4- What are things in which are really worthy of memorizing? I see there are people who get obsessed with memorizing things, and those same ones appear to be utterly useless, like the first 100.000 characters of PI or dates of inventions.
5- How to develop synesthesia in order to memorize things better?
6- How and which topics are interesting for studying to give your brain new horizons that would eventually serve as categories to be used in the process of memorization and language learning?
7- Are there different specific brain areas that are activated with different memorizing approach methods? In case positive, which are those, and what are the methods, in a nutshell?
8- What to do when you are sick of memorizing actively? I am reviewing more than one thousand flashcards per day; I have already increased the spacing between each revision, but I am still bored and I would like to learn new words without ■■■■■■■ up my brain with verbal associations and spatial association methods (with exception of a peg system, that I am trying to provide myself, that is one hope I have of being able to memorize words consistently without confusing or missing one hundred words in two thousand languages). I would like to know methods of passive learning, that may be the more appropriate to me in that time, but I do not know them and or how to apply them. Like, what about writting words in my house’s wall? What about changing my computer settings to Chinese (and eventually ■■■■■■■ up myself)? What about putting random words in foreign languages in random places in my screen? What about listening in loop words in which I am willing to memorize?
8- Have you ever tested and does it word any of those following approach towards passive listening in order to memorize something (with emphasis on language learning):
8.1 - Listening an audio about something without paying attention to it.
8.2 - Listening a normal audio and its backward version simultaneously.
8.3 - Listening two audios at the same time: One audio in each side of the headphone.
8.4 - Listening many audios at a time playing in your ambient.
8.5 - Listening to a normal audio in one side of the headphone, and its reversed version in another.
8.6 - Listening the backward version of an audio.
8.7 - Listening an accelerated or slowed audio.
8.8 - Listening an accelerated audio and accelerating it progressively.
8.9 - Listening an slowed audio and increasing or slowing it progressively.
9 - How to master differentiating and catching sounds in order to comprehend foreign languages more easily and how can learning music theory or thing related to music help with it.
Waiting for answers. Thanks.

I cant help you with every question, but I will answer what I can.

I can, but I won’t. My peg lists are of no use to you, because you will still have to memorize it. Why not make your own?

But of you really want to, my largest peg list is over here:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-series

Around 5000 pegs and climbing

By practicing.

You can use memorization as a way to take the knowledge with you, but to truly master it, you will need practice.

Again, by practicing. Being fluent in a language is not a memory thing, it is a practice thing.

Whatever is useful in your life. I have a lot of medical checklists memorized so I can use them anytime, anywhere. Maybe you need to memorize a lot of plants, phone numbers or locations. Then that is what will be important to you.

By being born with it.

Also, not every kind of synesthesia would be helpful in memorization. In fact, most are not.

Whatever you like, again. There is no universally interesting. If you want to broaden your horizons with religions, then that is your way. More of a geography guy, pick that. We cant pick what will be interesting to you.

Yes.

Memory palaces trigger your spatial memory. Images trigger your sensoric memory.

Take a break.

I am not sure how one can memorize passively as in contrast to doing it actively. Sure things can stick to memory, but that is not something you do. The closest thing to it that I can think of is what I mentioned earlier: practice. How you do it doesnt matter.

I always end up having to re-listen all of it because nothing sticks

No. I am not mentally stable enough to stand the satanic messages that pop up in backward spoken text.

I do it with 4, and no headphones. If you have 4 kids as well, you have been there too. I remember only who shouts loudest.

Please no.

Please no.

Back when casette tapes were a thing, this sometimes happened.

Only to make it match my preferred speed

Please no

Practice with a language

I feel you want a lot of ways to memorize every single thing in an instant, preferably multiple things simultanious and as passively as possible. Simple answer: you cant.

The human mind is not made for that. So unless you are either superhuman or a computer, dont get your hopes up for that…

1 Like

What it is meant by that message?

1- Thanks for the initiative, but unfortunately that list is way too much specific for mental imagery.
6- I asked the question in neuroscientifical terms. The mind words with categories, and the better you are at pattern recognition, the more you are propense to memorize stuff, because you divide well the knowledge. Categories are analogue to androgenic receptors in the muscles. The more you have, the better you will be efficient at memorizing/gaining muscles; and I want to to how to gain categories specific for language learning.

Hmmm. At one time I would have just taken that as a rhetorical comment. But nowadays…

Provide detail for what exactly you are looking for.

Abstract procedures, terminology, syntax, to supplement the practicing. You need to practice less depending on your theoretical grasp of the situation, e.g how your brain works for 1 and how strong your fundamentals are interconnecting. Say you are programming X,y,z you can learn how to do this without practice and learn how to fluidly type and you shouldn’t have much of a delay, this only works if you don’t have any gaps in your knowledge.

It is at the same speed at which memorization is done on default, the reason you need practice is to reduce this time from cue to output. If someone holds up the letter A, taking 2 seconds until you recall A, isn’t very useful for comprehension. Practice is supposed to reduce this delay and allow you to chain e.g ASAKA without delay. (Letters here represent words and phrases)

Whatever you want to memorize. If you are going to look at the periodic table your entire life, almost everyday. Then it makes sense to memorize it to save yourself time. In the end you will have saved yourself many days worth of time just by doing that. At other times, competency with memorisation is pretty much clear. Just imagine a surgeon had to look back at his anatomy book during an operation…

Get strong associations between the general cue and the desired linked sense.

You can always study Category theory in mathematical logic. You can learn Latin. Get a vast imagination, maybe watch anime. Neuroscience, it’s good to know how your brain actually works. Games like chess, fundamentally the world works a lot like that. Logical thinking so you can develop your own ideas and test them accordingly. I see what you mean by categories now. Make yourself a visual language, map maybe 200k words to images and learn it over 6 months. Or maybe learn 10k associations over the 10 days. Think in images or otherwise run a lot of brain -thinking- memorising experiments and find something new, just as with practice the brain can pick up categories too.

Yes there are different brain areas activated by different memorising approaches. Almost all of the brain depending on the approach. The methods depend on what region you are integrating.
In a nutshell, if you have the brain using language the language areas are activated.

Black boxing your brain is not a bad thing. Simple however, if you are tired rest. Start again when you are less tired. Passive learning is not bad but difficult to design and it doesn’t really make you learn more just inactively. You will get the same effect by taking breaks more or less. The difference is when you are using different systems to memorize. E.g verbal Vs visual.

The changing your computer to the target language is not bad, the idea that you are chasing is ‘make learning more fun’ not efficient. So you could translate a manga to English or something like that, whatever you really find fun.

Listening to the words in loops is not a bad idea, although it may not provide the results you are after.

Did this, result: I could replay the audio. When I learned the language I noticed that these words actually meant things. So no the audio did not teach meaning to me but it made me able to generate random audio that I may at the time not have understood the meaning of but turned out to be correct.

Not attempted, why would this work? What does backwards version mean. As in A B C then C B A or see as ees? I don’t assume this would work as intended, because the brain reversing the string doesn’t make the exact opposite. (It’s not 1:1)

This was nice for music, when you train your brain to process these audio sources in parallel it makes it sound much more sensible. Minor improved retention but pretty much negligible, the recall is also jointed
You recall multiple sources at a time, establishing order is that much more difficult (no particular improvements).

Same as two sources but it depends on if you can process the sources at the same time, if not it will sound odd and mesh and not make a lot of sense until it is memorized. After which it is the same as the single audio.

Haven’t tried this, don’t think it would work.

Tahw od uoy neam yb sdrawkcab
No. Haven’t tried this.

Slowed can be strangely incomprehensible, accelerated can be strangely still comprehensible. No particular effect besides making you feel as though general audio is a little slower/faster.

Software limitations, same as previous on the accelerated part.

More to less of an effect, there are not enough adaptations present in a small period of time to “learn” to get used to the source on default.
Don’t know about a larger period, but probably not what you are after.

I noticed that the more I listened to the language the better I had gotten at discerning but this was relatively slow so I don’t advise that. I also noticed that visually generating the sound of the language in words I see in my head, improved discerning and catching dramatically (and unexpectedly). Actually learning the language is definitely best, particularly how every sound is made.

I don’t know much about music theory so I can’t help here but having an anime flashback, you should be able to comprehend the differences in sounds enough to categorise them more effectively.

I also left out some numbers in the quotes~

Mine does too but explain, what makes you different besides the willingness to try things? Would serve as a good introduction.

1 Like

What I mean is that you might be asking too much of your brain. Backwards audio, multiple audio tracks at the same time, passive learning, it really seems as if you want to be able to stuff your brain with information in the same way you would be able to put files on a computer. However, your brain is not a computer.

That is exactly what I meant to say with my reply. The moment you want to use the peg list someone else makes, you might have to learn stuff. I have been with the SCP-list ever since they had less than a thousand entries, and I have build it up as the list grew. For me it is useful, for you it might not be because you first have to learn the 5000 pegs.

Other of such lists are the pokemon generations and my family tree. I can tell you all about mega evolotion and ultra beasts, but if you are not interested in that, there is not much use of that list for you. Even if I tell you about my aunts and uncles, you won’t be able to use my family tree as your peg list. You might be able to use your own family tree, but you will still have to make the list yourself then. Even stuff as simple as an alphabetical list will require learning on your part, so in the end it beats its purpose.

Very well. You want to involve the hippocampus and amygdala as much as you can when forming the images you have to remember. Along with that, the posterior parietal cortex has a few jobs you can use it for: spatial awareness and the decision of what your senses should see (mainly visual, I believe). Those are a few of the parts that are used in the techniques we mainly use.

As for language learning, I have stressed it before and I will again: Practice. There is no shortcut to mastering language. My daughter is fluent in the basics of dutch and english, and can say minor things in german and french. Why? Because of using the language. She speaks dutch at home, she reads and listens english in games, she hears german from tourists, and she plays with french with my uncle who lives in france and visits for birthdays.

I will give you one advice for language learning. Dont learn it from another language. Don’t say “Auto is german for car, and a car is this kind of object”. Remember ‘auto’ as being the thing that is called an auto. You want to skip that native language step. A lot of languages are related, for example, in dutch a car is also called an ‘auto’, but when learning dutch, you again don’t want to remember that the word is the same as in german, you want to learn that ‘auto’ is the dutch word for that object.

This is partially the category thing you talked about. You want the language to be it’s own thing, you don’t want it to be referenced at from dozens of other languages, as you will then start to use the wrong words for things because your brain gets confused with languages you don’t often use.

1 Like

Question.

Is the name SCP anyway related to the game? I know you are a gamer and it would be awesome if it is.

Actually it is. The SCP Foundation website was made as a web-based collaborative-fiction project and the game was made a few years later based on that project.

1 Like

What?

1- I am looking for a simple peg list like with many items:
1- Banana
2- Ball
3- Hat
4- Sword
5- Nail
6- Elephant

2- Correct. Thanks.
3- Yes. Practice reduces the delay gap of recall and interconnect information to a chain of informations…

1000 things per day over a period of 10 days or 200k words in 6 months. How realistic can it be?

I just told it in order for people to not think I was being unpolite or dismissive by going straight to the matter.

Thanks.

There are a bunch of those around, is the only thing you want supposed to be random images per digit?

To be precise, practicing on its own eventually hits it’s limit. You should actively try to do things “faster” if you want speed or etc. E.g, just because you are typing on a keyboard everyday your typing speed doesn’t exactly go up everyday.

The truth is, this is entirely feasible and realistic, but also near the edge of that. People however, do not have enough willpower, planning, methodology and dedication to do something like this all day consistently.

1 Like

I mean list ordered in a crescent fashion with numbers with concrete nouns.

I need some pegs to do so and a printer to print the words I want to memorize in a paper, but actually I need money to do so as it has a salty price. I do not want people to print words in foreign languages for me. They would laugh me and I do not want anyone to know I learn languages as it generates envy and derision.

You might find it efficient to make your own, if these aren’t suitable. If you want a 100 digit system, there are plenty of those

which you can easily find using the search bar. There aren’t many people who share their 1000 image system and if they are concrete images they have a lot of customization and characters, which you may not know.

Why do you need the words on printed paper, why not on pc/mobile?

It might make sense to buy your own printer or ready-made list then, although it might be a little expensive. Or you can go to a distant printing station and print, perhaps even hide them among other words. You can wear a disguise so no one recognizes you and get it done with, or have an excuse ready. Perhaps go to a printing station somewhere where it will be self service.

2 Likes

I feel when I have words in hand I can memorize them better.

2 Likes