Number memory subvocalization - how to stop without use of external sounds

I can see that penTlak Subvocalization in Flash Anzan asked similar question, but during past week i found that turning on music or humming distract me.

I can think non-verbally and if i see 5 digits or easy-to-spot pattern I do not subvocalize. But if anything is longer or complex I start to read and often make a mistake (or for 9 digit number I don’t find enough time to read. I use mostly Number blink 4 for training and next number 2 for pure entertainment.
Partial solution seem to be training to spot such patterns, or extend my list of number-real life occurrence relations (I know there are other number memory systems, but this one seem to be most natural for me) or somehow “improve” my number-color synesthesia. But do you have any other ideas?

1 Like

The maximum capacity of the visual working memory seems to be about 5–6 digits, consistent with what you’ve been able to achieve. I outline some evidence for that here.

To improve, here are two other ideas:

• Practice doing fast visual maths, so that the subvocalization feels like it’s slowing you down. Multiplying big numbers together is great for this.
  • Learn to spot factors of numbers. For me, 57 feels different to 59, because 57 = 19 × 3, while 59 is prime. This helps my short-term memory of numbers when doing rapid calculations.
3 Likes

I know this reply is late, but now session is finally over, so i have mental energy to write proper reply.
Thank you for your suggestions, article is wery informative.

While I heard about limits of visual working memory I did not consciously tried to use visual and verbal memory to store different numbers. The last 10 number test was especially interesting.

I can see here, the problem is that due to strong dyslexia wery little of actual image remain. I need to translate it into color or image or relation to keep it in mind. Having something in phonetical loop is distracting (and not paying enough attention to phonetical part lead to switching places of “looped” numbers).

So it seems hard to do this simultaneously, but I will give this method a try. In the end everything is hard at the beginning.

Prime numbers feels different indeed, before next training I will look at primes to make them easier to catch.

About multiplication, I think that at this point I need to come back to basics, I run out of form, but I will gradually increase.