Not sure how to review palaces or anything at all

Hi guys, I am new using the Method of Loci. I have a question about reviewing. Recently, I watched Anthony Metiviers’s videos about reviewing and I have my doubts about his recommendations. He said that if he really wanted to learn sth and remember it instantly, effortlessly and permanently he would review 5 times daily for 5 days, once every 5 weeks and once every month per 5 months. Now, if this was to work how can I implement this. I had my doubts about whether I should be using Anki or not.
Or should I only review cards on Anki EVERY DAY. I’m not sure how Anki works…I would appreciate if sb who has used Anki before told me how Anki works. Would I have to always be reviewing everything on Anki for life or does Anki stop showing you those cards that you have memorised by HEART?

I apologize for being this ignorant.
Thanks for your time.

1 Like

This implies ideally he doesn’t recall all the information on the first day nor the subsequent days so he reviews to, at the 5th day have all the information recall able.
Then he assumes this information will last for 5 weeks so he reviews in 5 weeks time then 5 months.

What do you mean by once every 5 weeks?

Anki Is used to keep track of this review duration, so it’s beneficial when you have a lot of information.

The reason you do not review the same cards everyday is because this can lead to you forgetting a card you have reviewed everyday for months after a few weeks. Whereas you could have reviewed it less than 10 X in that span and had it last many years.

Anki does not do much magic, it just takes something you want to recall, you recall it and then it shows you this thing again when it gets the time you have set or the default time. The idea is that the subsequent durations get longer, you could think of it as teaching your brain to hold onto the information by only showing it this information, just before it forgets.

So anki will not stop showing the cards that you have memorized by heart but it may show you the cards again in 5 years. Which is good enough. You may also set it to stop showing you cards after a certain time. Keep in mind that even things we have memorised by heart can be forgotten eventually without recall.

Anki is customizable so a lot of things can be modified. Putting memory palaces in anki is slightly more complicated because you do not recall them individually. Putting them in chunks may be more sensible.

Sorry I didn’t quite understand `

, in chunks you mean one card of 2 (or a little more) loci of the same palace(until getting the whole palace in different cards…maybe not individually but 2 loci or 5 per card?
Reason:(Some sentences that I have memorized occupy 2 loci but they are one because the 2nd loci is an example of the 1st loci )

Or 1 card for the whole palace?(Forgetting about making them individual as Anki’s algorithm may separate them even more as time goes by)
I would really appreciate your thoughts.

I think,it all depends on your own preferences,your own choices and comfort level.

I have been using Anki since 2015;and it dramatically changed my life! I ankify almost everything(from Memory Palaces to daily events to programming language to Books)!

But you can always avoid Anki and make your own training schedule!! If you have small stuffs,like a book or Major System etc, to memorize and remember for a long time,you don’t actually need Anki. You can use a couple of Memory Palaces to store your learning materials and visit those MP time to time,weekly or monthly. If the material is easy for you to remember,then schedule it to review quarterly or yearly!

Spaced Repetition Algorithm that Anki or other software use is not perfect. There is no magic in them,as Nagime has said in his post above

With Anki,you can however,if you have a lot of things to learn,organize them in a convenient manner. Also,because Anki is scheduling things for you,you don’t have to worry about the ‘when’! And you can take Anki anywhere with you(though we can take our memory palace anywhere with us,too)!

Also,because Anki puts everything in its database using ‘tags’,you can create a lot of different topic/subjects to review. This is great,if you have a lot of things/topics to review! Below are the tags of my Anki:

It all depends on your own preference,your own choice and comfort level,I think. I usually put the whole Memory Palace in one card of Anki,so I can review the Memory Palace and all of its loci altogether,not separately…as this might be confusing!

Below is an example of one single Memory Palace that I have put in a Anki card. There are 49 loci in this card(each is marked by duel Alphabet,ie,AB,AC,et). Whenever this card appears,I review all 49 loci in one Memory Palace! It does take much time. And with time,things get faster and easier to review! Besides,one cool thing is: I can visualize the 49 ‘rules’ in 3D(in my card below) inside the memory palace and can better understand them. If I separated them and put the rules in 49 cards in Anki, I would not be able to ‘think’/visualize all of them together!

3 Likes

When I make a card I just put the name of the palace, the number of loci, and the name of the topics found in the palace. And at the back a link to my excel file (I use coda for this, in this website I can make tables and use the link) where my palace is described with words,imagery, actions, meaning and phrases. I would like to know if there is something that I could improve.

Sorry, what I really meant: he recalls 5 times a day for 5 days, once every week for 5 weeks, once every month for 5 months and so forth. This is based on the rule of five and the one who really came with this idea was Dominic O’brien. BTW the ‘5 times a day for five days’ was modified by Anthony Metivier who preferred iy this way for information the kind of info you memorize and want to be able to recall effortlessly.

Minimum 3 and maximum 40 is what I was thinking though yes one card of 2 or more. Loci to clarify locations yes.

The reason for this is because you can recall all of them but splitting it up makes it more digestible.
If you have a 4000 location palace. Reviewing can take 38 hrs in one go, as an example.

I wouldn’t call their approach efficient but you can test around with your own since the actual timing does differ from individual to individual. In some cases the timing even changes.

I just list a vague location name: “Ice pillar cave” per location if I do this. To improve you should just consider the time spent and how memorable you find it.

2 Likes

Thanks again, I’ll stick to Anki then.

Recall Rehearsal can be challenging as you amass multiple memory palaces and fill them with information. I have been learning Arabic for awhile now and I challenged myself to learning 10 Arabic Words a day for 50 days. I ended up with 500 Arabic words. Problem is once you get over 100, the time to go through the palaces for recall rehearsal goes through the roof. At this point I think I probably have around 1,300 Arabic Words scattered in memory palaces. Problem is to review them in front to back takes an extremely long time. Arabic word + Definition = 2,600… And I am verbal so I end up saying every word at the speed you would speak it. I need to decide if I wish to memorize a lot that can be recalled with some decoding or if I want instant effortless recall from thorough recall rehearsal. The Methods works, but it is very possible to memorize faster and more material than you can reasonably rehearse. I guess these are good problems. I couldn’t remember 5 items to buy at the grocery store a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

I would also comment that I can see already that keeping track of everything you learn and when to review it will get more difficult the more you learn. I keep everything I do in Excel spreadsheets for future reference. If I totally forget I learned something they are there, I’m at around 90 memory palaces at this point and already there is a little bit of mental juggling trying to keep straight what I have and what is in there. I have 2 A-Z palaces and I link a different memory place to each letter. So I have a memory palace to keep tracking of my other memory palaces. I can only imagine what kind of erector set I will have assembled a couple of years from now. Pretty cool though. I am learning something new everyday.

2 Likes

What kind of review are we discussing here. I find just going over the material systematically of limited value. The brain has defenses. It knows its seen this before and won’t play close attention. Best, IMO is to test the knowledge especially understanding of relationships between elements.

2 Likes

If you are using the Metivier system, then you don’t use Anki. You build your own palaces that work for you because they have built in meaning for you Then simply review them as he suggests. More if you think you need it, less if you don’t.

Anki is the opposite of the Metivier system. Anki is simply brute force, rote memory built into a spaced repetition format. If you are going to use rote memory that is the best way to do it. But it is a digital program. The Metivier method is your own creation, processed and stored in you.

EG: I built a palace in a high rise that I lived in. I was on the twentieth floor which had three elevators. I used a grid based, peg system for each station on my journey.

So: in the hallway to the elevators I had ten stations. Each station had ten
locations in a peg system attached to it. The right, center and left elevators each had stations attached to them. Again, each station had ten pegs attached to it. The hallway from the elevators to the parkade had ten stations complete with ten pegs per. Another ten stations with pegs while moving through the parkade.

I reviewed four hundred items every time I was going to and coming back from the car. Also the procedure of going down to my car was enjoyable with a little variety possible because each elevator had its own journey. Plus there was more than one way to get to the parkade from the elevator. One of them was a whole system of palaces which was available in nicer weather. Of course, just because I don’t live there any more doesn’t mean the palace doesn’t work any more. It is still a valid journey containing all the original information available for me to review whenever I feel like it.

Moving at a pace that allowed me to review hundreds of items added about two minutes max to the trip and left me relaxed instead of frustrated waiting for the elevator etc.

Ditto for each of the three supermarkets that I shop at regularly. I have a standard route that I follow in each one for a typical shopping event. Needless to say there are hundreds of stations that I peruse while walking around the market. Different aisles that I walk almost every time, different products in each aisle that I look for if only to check the price, other products that I definitely don’t want ever regardless but catch my attention anyway. The supermarket suddenly rearranges everything…great. It is my palace not theirs so I keep the old lineup in my mental journey and add in the new one. They just expanded my palace for me.

Waiting for a long traffic light at a major intersection, waiting for the subway…great. Just enough time to squeeze in a palace review as long as the light doesn’t change annoyingly soon or the subway car arrives before I feel ready for it. In fact, if it is an intersection or subway station I that I frequent, I have palaces specific to it already built. If there is some distinctive shop such as for tires or a french bakery, whatever, that creates another palace that will reflect that in some way. Car mechanical information like how electronic ignition works or French language vocabulary or anything that seems to help establish a connection.

If you are applying Professor Metivier’s method then you know that the important thing is to make the images for your palaces interesting so that they aren’t drudgery going through them. Stuck in bumper to bumper traffic while driving or as a passenger. Time to eliminate the anxiety and entertain yourself with interesting instructional videos that you created and carry around in your head. No need to cram for an exam. You have already reviewed the material that day on the way over to the exam.

Is it easy at first to do all that? No, but after a while it gets to be fun. Or at least more fun than knowing your time is being completely wasted by something out of your control. No need to feel driven because of the system. You can just stand there frustrated waiting for the elevator. Or you can entertain yourself. Whatever you are comfortable with at the moment.

Why in the world would you want to use Anki? Keep a record of your palaces in Excel or similar to check occasionally to make sure you aren’t allowing errors to creep into your reviews. That’s all you need to do.

2 Likes

Flash card systems are fundamentally methods for testing how well you do or do not know some information.

They work independently of how you came to know it, whether through rote or using an efficient mnemonic system.

3 Likes

Any Idea if there is a software where you can customise its spaced repetition? Only to know when to review certain journeys, based on Metivier’s System?

About memory palaces: anything can be used as a memory palace. There are two ways for the method of loci: Journey Method closer loci or spots to store memories are better, for the Roman Room maybe conterproductive in my expirience. Your house is a good place for a Journey Method, because you remember many details.

Picture from Dr. Sleep movie: a good place for Roman Room (with furniture or any objects better), it is spaceous, though it depends in you imagination, you could go beyond and use smaller places.

Big rooms or stations are better for information that is not sequenced.

I don’t like Anki, that’s all I can tell you about it. You want to learn a definition or the meaning of a world use your imagination. Once something is in your mind in any imaginative way, to recall it depends on how much you manipulate your memories and your imagination. Go at it!

Also, I’m learning Japanese on my own, after I acquired enough of the language or devised the trick to this one, so far for learning vocabulary this language appears to be easy (mnemonicly) as you need to memorize syllabaries which pictures could be reused for Kanji or just the words. My goal is ability to speak and understand audio, and addendum full Japanese reading comprehension. Compared with Russian, I know many things, but I didn’t do a Alphabet System, after my results with Japanese I’ll decide whether or not, go with that approach. The technique for vocabulary memorization is simple: **Picture of the word either as its written or as it sounds + Picture of the meaning of the word >>> Store in Mental Place **

1 Like

Any Idea if there is a software where you can select days for reviews and customise its spaced repetition? I found ‘Studi’, which is the only one I found so far for Android. Is there a program similar for PC?

@BVR681, Anki has the option for creating a “Customized” deck/decks!!! You can also set option for when the card will reappear in the deck!

If you are a tech shavvy type guy,you can even create a SRS on your own in a program like MicroSoft access. In it, you will be able to setup your own times,interface, etc! Anki is just a Database program with an interface and an algorithm! So,any Database program with an interface can be used like Anki…

I developed SRS programs with both MS Access and “FileMaker” software in order to get rid of Anki’s algorithm!

Alternatively,you can use Google Spreedsheet as SRS system that you design on your own,like the way described in the article below:

1 Like

How did you arrange your memory parlance for Japanese ? I know Anthony uses A-Z is this how you do this ?

I don’t have any order, by now. I have my “main” memory palaces in imaginary worlds. Real world places I don’t place them in this “memory worlds”. I have a lot real world places I could use, but I barely do, I mostly use my house out of them, and when I do is for information I won’t expect to care for it for life, for example the lines of a play. For any language, I use the palaces from my imagination because I will use that information for a longer time, but not forever needed in palaces. If I learn 50 words today I keep them in a place. 50 more in another, but I’m gonna play with those pictures a lot, to the point I recognize them in text, then I can safely go for resuse of the places. You can draw a minimap of the places… but I don’t recommend to create memory worlds as I did, if you are easily distracted.

1 Like

I dont’ use software for reviewing.

I prefer to “look” at my mnemonic pictures and write down what it is supposed to mean, once I do that I know I remember it. If I need word for word, like for an acting job, it will depend a lot in how choose my images.

1 Like