not completed my memory palace

Hi, I am new to memorization techniques and I am focusing on memory palaces but I am having some problems.
The problems are:
i) I was reading something and i was not able to complete my memory palace but then i started learning something else and while I was learning I got scared that maybe If i make a new palace for what I am learning and then continue my old palace it would or can affect both memory palaces or maybe the memory palaces can become weak.
What should I do when one memory palace is not completed but I want to start another?(my main question to answer)
iii) I try to make memory palaces in a different way where when I reach my last object where i can place images but there is more to remember then i make another door that is placed on the last object and according to the door number i give the image of the topic and place ants(N - 2) on them if the door number is 2 or use a sniper aim(M - 3) if the door number is 3.
Am i doing something wrong?
ii) whenever i reuse an image or a group of images for a word or even if the words are different but the image is same, I get confused. I have seen people reusing talking about reusing images again and again but it doesn’t work for me.
So, should I make new images for the same word everytime or there is some other way?
Sorry, if there are some mistakes in my grammar or in other way.

1 Like

for i)

This is a bit difficult to explain overall however.

The ideal answer to this question is probably to write the palace down or to review the palace shortly after working with the subsequent one(I suggest spaced repetition).

Memory palaces are very memorable so it is highly likely that even so, there isn’t a problem.

Nonetheless, if you make many locations or even palaces in a very time proximate way, then there can be a problem. Generally, new memories are very susceptible to interference. So while you may not have any problem making a palace and remembering it 10 days later, if you make the odd 100 in a go you may have significant problems even a few minutes later(rate is very critical). Spaced repetition then improves how long your memory lasts in the presence of interference.

Even so, memory palaces are very memorable. It is typical that if you do forget a particular location, you usually can remember it either at a random point in time or even the smallest hint can completely relive the experience for you (hence writing down).

for ii)
Reusing works well when it is the same word (not a similar or different word). It is not clear what you mean by it not working but it is a good idea to justify the image. For example, encoding the word ‘rights’ by seeing a farmer hold up a farming fork, is also likely to make you forget what you wanted to encode. If you then tell yourself in your head: “They are angry holding up a fork because they are fighting for their rights” in that case the image is significantly comprehended and you are less likely to forget what it means. The purpose of reusing images is similar to a peg list. Overtime you automatically see the image in response to the digit (or at least know it is this image).

for iii)

This is a very unique way. In my case I would simply move to the next location unless I absolutely require the structure. When I do require it, like you, I make some sort of door. Important for my memory is that this door from my current location can be clearly seen (I must be able to see where I am going without having to open the door, so it should already be open).

The only issue I may perceive with this approach is if you use actual numbers as opposed to the corresponding images. At times it can be difficult to read numbers in your memory palace without mixing them up (definitely is feasible but more interference prone). Also from your description I don’t know if you can see inside the door and do not have to open it as you arrive. For me if the door is closed and I have to open it to traverse it, that can greatly impede my memory.

2 Likes

I totally put some of the same things in more than one memory palace and I feel that it enhances the memory of it totally, and even links the two/three/etc different palaces together wherever you put it

check this out – imagine ‘peace’ (I imagine the emotion/meaning/etc) on some sofa. let’s say I use the sofa of my current house, which I did do that. Now I imagine peace in my dad’s house, put that on the kitchen table. So I got peace in two places, and essentially I have linked those houses together such that when I get to the sofa and remember peace, I have a tingling memory of peace on my dad’s kitchen table too. I really works great to link disparate parts of the brain and naturally not forget stuff.

I find that when I put stuff in just one memory palace, I simply don’t bother to review it or pay attention to it – regardless of whether I can even remember it.

So for example, I put something I want to remember, say, I want to remember feed the cat. If I put ‘feeding the cat’ in just one memory palace, I probably won’t naturally remember it randomly. But if I put ‘feeding the cat’ in a few different rooms/palaces, then the chance of naturally remembering ‘feeding that cat’ abruptly throughout the day dramatically increases I feel. Not only that, but once you remember that one thing, you tend to remember the memory palaces themselves and review those palaces (so you don’t just make palaces, fill them with stuff, and leave them like cold potatoes).

Highly recommend.

1 Like

@Nagime-I did the mistake of keeping the door close.I think I need more practice and reflection on my mistakes.
Nagime and carlijalal, Thanks for answering

1 Like