Newbie in search of proper technique to memorize discrete chunks of complex information

(Peem Ster) #1

Hey folks!

I’m new to all this, but am basically familiar with linked lists and the concepts of memory palaces and menmonics - so not much experience.

I want to dive in, and I have a particular memory project I want to focus on. However, I’m not sure what technique or set of techniques I should be looking at. I know people talk about memory palaces a lot, but they seem to be for sequences of relatively simple information (i.e., what suit and number is this card?). I’m seeking to memorize complex chunks of information all wrapped up into discrete units.

These units are statistics and abilities for game pieces. For example, here is one of the more complex units (most only have two cards; this one has four). I want to be able to call up all the information on the cards when I hear or think of the name of the card.

As you can see, there’s a lot of different types of information under one name heading - we have numbers, ability names, ability descriptions, etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of what techniques to look at and how to approach them, I’d really appreciate it!

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #2

Do you have a higher quality scan of that? Or a transcript of the text?

(Peem Ster) #3

Let me see if this works…

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #4

How many of these are you trying to commit to memory? And are the keywords like “Alchemical Mask” or “Decrepitation” or “Revive” things which repeat on many different cards (so their definitions don’t have to be memorized for each individual card, just which ones apply), or unique to “Aurum Adeptus Syvestro”?

(Peem Ster) #5

The Bolded ability names do repeat (not all of them, but many). The spells are also shared across all cards, with occasional unique ones.

I’m wanting to remember the statline (SPD, STR, MAT, etc), as well as the weapon statlines and icons (those each key to an ability), and the written out ability names. And then the spells and Feat for the cards that have those.

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #6

Is the statline always the same 7 stats in the same order, just different values? In that case you could use a number system (major, Ben, whatever fits your fancy) to convert the numbers into 7 images and just store them in the same order every time. Maybe make it 8 so you can tack the health (I assume that’s what the scale on the bottom of the first card is?) on?

Most of the abilities (it sounds like) can just be given their own image: whatever is a good reminder of what it is to you.

I’d wait for someone with more experience to tackle the spells and Feat, as I have not tried anything similar.

I have not (yet, I’ve got some ideas floating around I might want to do in the future) done something like this project, but I know at least a few people here (@Mayarra off the top of my head, if I’m remembering the right person) have created virtual cities to house information, where said information is organized into districts by theme, and finally into buildings for the lowest-level topic orginization. From that I might hypothesize that giving each card its own unique made-up structure which represents it and would also serve as a memory palace (within the greater memory palace) to contain all the information about that card might be a good approach.

(Peem Ster) #7

It’s the same 7 stats in the same order. Luckily I don’t need to remember STR, so it’s actually only 6 stats. Remembering the health is also probably not worth the effort, so I’ll just keep it at 6, except for the special units that have a FOCUS stat (as you can see, Syvestro has one, “7”, under his picture. I know how to go about figuring out a number system, but I’m not sure how to “store” that, or call it up when I think “Syvestro”. This is the part of the whole thing that doesn’t yet make sense to me.

I think you’re right that I have to make each keyword ability and each spell tied into an image. Learning how to call that up when I think “Syvestro” is going to be the hard part.

I like your idea about virtual cities. I think I just need to try to make a memory palace, housing a specific subset of cards, and then branch out from there.

Thanks!

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #8

Yeah, a similar (using the geometric sense of the word “similar” figuratively) solution to the city which might be more appropriate for this scale is an indoor memory palace where each room corresponds to a card.

Okay, I just did a training round of words on memory league and though it wasn’t a great round, it should illustrate how I memorize, though two caveats should be kept in mind: a) There are multiple ways people memorize, mine is (as best I understand it) Ben Pridmore’s, but there are other ways to make the objects interact. b) I am still a beginner at this, so my associations are not always the strongest as it sometimes takes too much time to think up really good ones for me as of yet.

The basic structure is 3 images to a loci, each image interacts with the next image at that loci, and the last image of each loci also interacts with the first image of the next loci (it takes some getting used to since the loci aren’t always right next to eachother, but it’s not very difficult once you get used to it). If I recall correctly, Ben always orders the images at a loci top-to-bottom or left-to-right. I tried that but found it too confusing, so I order my objects either top-to-bottom or with-the-flow-of-travel of my journey, even if that’s right-to-left from my normal perspective. Just be consistent.

1. inject On our old old house's kitchen table (loci 1), a hypodermic needle injecting a fluid into
  2. beam a gymnastics beam which has one end on the table and the other end sitting on the floor while
  3. whoop Jerry from WHOOP from Totally Spies (note that he should be connected to the beam, but I didn't do that)
  4. market at the demarcation between kitchen and hallway (loci 2), sits at a computer playing the stock market (I answered this wrong: "stock" instead of "market"
  5. ion the end of the green stock price line thing has an eyeball on the end which is sitting on the dark stained wood hallway floor
  6. wooden by a pile of 2x4s (again, weak association, probably should have had the lumber stuck in the eyeball).
  7. scream At the base of the staircase to the bedrooms (loci 3), the painting "The Scream" (the lumber is just next to the painting iirc, so again, weak association)
  8. junk eating junk that looks like it was taken from WALL-E,
  9. avalanche which then avalanches up the stairs to
  10. filter at the landing (loci 4), go through a big (maybe 2.5' by 2.5'?) filter which is
  11. spend spitting out money on the other side which is then
  12. detail being used to detail a painting (lots of thin wispy lines).
  13. chemical didn't remember in recall
  14. ergo didn't remember in recall
  15. complete on my bed (loci 5), a microphone (communication/comm/an image I used a few days ago for the word "comm") doing a pleat (I think that's how you spell it? idk. The thing which is basically a curtsy, but they have a fancy ballet name for it.).
  16. spoon recited in working auditory memory until recall
  17. significant recited in working auditory memory until recall
  18. privilege recited in working auditory memory until recall
  19. knot recited in working auditory memory until recall
  20. final recited in working auditory memory until recall
  21. rise recited in working auditory memory until recall
    (and a dozen more I didn’t get to)

So if you were going to adapt this method to your needs here, you could reserve two loci in the room/building/area for the card to hold the 6 (or 7) relevant stats. You probably don’t need a third locus for a seventh: just give the second locus 4 images.

You could also do pure association: place the image of the card itself (in this case a guy who looks like a dystopian steampunk future version of a wormhandler (wormhandlers are from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: manga (they’re not in the anime, I don’t think)) in the palace, then have it interact with the image for 6, then 6 again, then 6 again, etc., without bothering to tie any of the images (aside from the wormhandler dude) to a location.

Saying that made me think of something else. There might be many 6s in a row. Maybe it would be worth it to come up with 2 images for each of the numbers 1-20 (and 0 if that’s a possible value), and mix up which ones you use to make it easier to remember.

I don’t have any experience with this yet as I haven’t done any long-term memory, so I can only repeat what I’ve seen others say on this forum. I’ve heard of some people using a sort of index where you might, say, have a memory palace which only houses the images for each card, but no info, and then you associate that same image with a separate memory palace which has the info. I’ve also heard that it’s not that difficult to jump around to a specific point in a memory palace which you’re familiar with, so you may just need to blink to the place where you stored Syvestro; no further techniques needed. I cannot vouch for either of these methods, having not done long term memory stuff yet, but they’ve worked for other people here and they seem to make sense.

(Peem Ster) #9

Thank you for the detailed reply! The stuff about storing images at various loci makes a lot of sense; I did an image list the other day to practice and it was very similar, except not tied to any loci.

I think what’s tripping me up in all of this is the vast amount of info I’m looking to (eventually) memorize. The game has 1000 cards or so! However, I should probably just stick to learning one at a time and building a palace or palaces as I go along and need them, rather than worrying about the macro perspective.

I did do a little trick with Syvestro just to try it out, but it’s not tied to any loci, nor really to any image or idea of him - I just “know” it’s him because it’s the only thing I’m working on at the moment. To get his statline I made an image of the ocean, then three giant gumdrop-looking things dropping into the ocean (jujubes, where j = 6; (a number-to-letter system I got from some article), then, these three jujubes are pulled by two tugboats (t = 1, g = 5), and finally one of the tugboats is emblazoned with a letter K (k = 7). That last connection is weak. But anyway, it’s served to have me remember his stats as 6, 6, 6, 15, 15, and then the special stat, 7. It might even be worth it to just create images for each number as I go along, so then any time I need a 6 it’s a giant jujube, and so on.

Will keep working on it!