New to memory and interested in memorizing poker numbers

hiya, I became interested in poker (specifically pot limit omaha, where you are dealt 4 cards to play) lately and also became interested in memorizing some odds to equity conversions.

I tried it and was pretty surprised at how easy it was having not memorized anything in like 20 years since my times tables, lol.

Took me only like 3 days using flashcards and rote repitition (brainscape.com) to memorize 40 numeric associations such as:
26% equity is 2.85:1 odds,
37% is 1.7:1,
etc. etc. from 10% to 50%

The ease of that kind of got me excited to memorize more stuff, with the more powerful techniques.

Now i’m interested in memorizing statistics of relationships between flops vs ranges of hands; I’ll try to explain that more…

There’s 1755 flop combinations, and there’s, well, a bunch (like 10-50, depending) of “types” of hands you can have for each flop, and then there’s a practically infinite amount of theoretical guesstimated “ranges” of hands you can think your opponent can have.

With each range you give your opponent, there’s a concrete % chance that they will have ‘x’ hand type on ‘y’ flop, but obviously 1755 * 50 * 9999999999999999999999 is too much to memorize, but we can fudge!

near infinite ranges can be fudged down to like 4 or 5, lol

1755 flops can be fudged down a lot; its 455 ignoring suits, which i think can be efficiently accounted for separately
455 can be further fudged as flops like KK8 are largely strategically the same as all flops KK7 down to KK2
don’t really know how far you could shave that number down, but lets say 150

then types of hands you can make given a range and flop, we could go with as low as 3 or 5;
types of hands your opponent folds with,
types they call with,
types they raise with,
types they bet with,
types they check with

so now its like 5 * 150 * 5 = 3,750 associations to memorize, quite feasible it seems like

so i’m kind of wondering where to start and what’s possible with memory techniques.

One thing I was wondering, is how effective it would be to re-use one room, store all the different hand types in it (without condensing them down, so like 10-50) and you would have 5 * 150 different versions of that room with each hand type in the same spot, but different values in each.

and the values in this whole thing will always just be a percentage, if that wasnt obvious; so given ‘w’ range, ‘x’ flop, opponent will have ‘y’ hand type z% of the time

so yea, all in all, im not really sure how much i should fudge the numbers down, not really sure whats possible with good memory techniques, like is 4,000 reasonable, or is 40,000 reasonable, over months of work that is. Seems like I should shoot for 4000 though, and maybe even find ways to condense it down further, or maybe not? maybe 4000 combos is quite easy to memorize and recall nearly instantly given months and months to work with?

what kind of systems/technique do you think would be most suited here?

also just want to mention that having fast recall is important, i like playing zoom poker, so definitely the faster the recall the better. Is that something that memory palaces kind of fall short on? speed of recall? kind of seems like it would, as someone with no experience with it, seems like you would have to spend time ‘looking’ for the answer

cheers

2 Likes

i was thinking i should probly start by working on a 00-99 system, but then which one as there seem to be several types?

I was leaning towards a personal strong association system, rather than the major system. So for example, 23 was the number micheal jordan wore, and the image of him in the old space jam movie stretching his arm across the court to dunk is kinda burned into my memory.

The PAO is fairly interesting as well, for 01 I have a personality in mind who i can easily picture flexing with a water bottle in his hand, he’s often jokingly touting that he’s number one, lol.

Check out these links.

https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Mnemonic_Association_System_for_Numbers

https://artofmemory.com/wiki/The_Shaper_System

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: How to see people in a PAO system