card-memorization

Hello, I’m BobC. 84 yrs old and an avid bridge player. Back in 1952, I did the Johnson O’Connor aptitude testing. Turned out I had “Too Many Aptitudes”! Unfortunately, one I did/do not have is “Number Memory.”

That is not good for a bridge player!

So, I intend to improve my ability to remember these key actions in playing a bridge hand:

1- What did each player bid?
2- What was the opening lead?
3- What cards remain out in each suit as the play progresses?
4- What card distribution did each opponent hold in their hand?

Thanks, and looking forward!

(Josh Cohen) #2

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #3

Do you want the entire bid history, or just the highest that each player bid? I assume you want the whole thing for the information it might contain.

Yes, you need the entire history of the opponents’ bidding because it gives you useful information about the holding.

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #5

Well, for that part of it could you re-purpose a card system (PA for example) for the bids? Add in 6 PA pairs for NT bids and use 2-7 for the remainder? Though that wouldn’t encode who made which bids, so maybe add another PA pair for pass? If you plan on having a full card system, you could also use it for the opening lead or you could just add 13 people (for the ranks) and 4 actions (for the suits). A PA system would make it easier later in the hand to reconstruct who bid what, since one partnership would be the people of each loci, and the other would be the actions.

By 4, do you mean a running total of the which suits (and how many of said suits) have been played by each player?

EDIT: forgot that bidding started at 2c. Corrected it.

Thanks very much! First, (4) is the card distribution for each opponent. For example, 4 spades, 4 hearts, 3 diamonds, and 2 clubs.

Re bidding, there are 38 possible bids: 1 through 7 in clubs, diamonds, hearts, spades, and notrump + pass, double, and redouble.

I’ll study the P A system some more. Also having an in image for each card. For example, the ace of clubs could be a CAT (club #1). Then, maybe the play of the opponents cards is in a “Journey.”

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #7

Ah; I remembered wrong. In that case just add an ace to the PA images used for bidding as well as pairs for double and redouble.

Re 4: how will you get that info, though? At the end of the hand for future reference, or building as the hand progresses?

Building as the play unfolds. For example, when one opponent shows out of a suit, you now have a full count of that suit.

(James P.) #9

Hello and welcome:smiley:
I wish you good luck in reaching your goals.
James P.