New Member: trailwhim, Provo, Utah

My name is Nathan (trailwhim here, I guess) and I live in Provo, Utah, although I hail from Chico, California.

The first time I learned about mnemonics was when my dad taught me all of the Old Testament books (I was probably about 8 yrs or so.) I’m not sure I really have a memory feat. I have a musical inclination, so I guess I’m able to hang onto music and lyrics for a long time. But I’m really not sure that that is too unique.

When I was 8, I suffered major brain trauma, which put me into a coma for a little while. I suffer from seizures as an adult (I’m 45), but for the most part, I’ve been able to live a normal life. I have a great job, but I use my personality as a crutch for what I consider to be significant memory issues (which I attribute to the accident that landed me in the hospital.

I have a tendency to forget…a lot. I have a hard time remembering people’s names, directions to familiar landmarks, and most importantly, information I need to retain, in order to be successful at work.

My goal is to get to where I can rely less on my phone to keep information that I need to look up, to be able to learn and retain large amounts of technical information (which I study in both school and work), and to be able to just handle day-to-day information that I struggle to retain.

I have tried a few memory techniques, but one of the things that holds me back is that I don’t want to invest a lot of time in the wrong technique. That’s why I’m here: I want to see if you guys can give me some guidance as to what method might help me to remember large amounts of technical information (Linux commands, installation sequences for software, etc.) I can be more specific about what I’m trying to accomplish, but want to make sure I do in the right thread.

What do you think, guys? Looking forward to meeting a few of you!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

If you haven’t seen it yet, check out the resources in the getting started guide, especially the free ebook.

Try searching with the forum search box for the topics you’re interested in, like “linux commands”. If you don’t see answers in the search results, start a thread for each topic and provide a few specific examples — then people can brainstorm ways to approach it. The more specific you are with the examples, the easier it will be to answer questions.

For lists, like step-by-step actions, check out memory palaces and peg lists (two ways to memorize lists).