New Member (sort of) Jim

•Tell us about yourself: who are you, what do you do, where are you from?

My name is Jim, work in infectious disease research, currently live in Bangkok (20 years)

•How did you find about memory techniques? What did you like about them most?

Mom worked in a bookstore and bought me The Memory Book by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas when it was first published after I had graduated high school. That’s a hint about my age. The techniques were beneficial for some college courses but I didn’t use them a lot.

•What is your current best memory feat?

Remembering to unplug the coffee pot when I leave for work? I don’t have anything impressive to report.

•What’s currently your biggest challenge when it comes to getting the memory you want?

Being disciplined enough to put in the time to improve. I have recently started reading The Book of Memory by Mary Carruthers and it has helped to rekindle my interest in memory techniques.

•What’s the big goal you want to achieve? What have you tried so far? What worked, what didn’t?

I want to improve my ability to present/teach science. I am not that interested in Memory Sports unless the training can be used as an avenue to improve my memory for study. Memory palaces are most useful for what I do. I have tried a combination of spaced repetition and memory palaces with some good and some not so good results. More practice is required.

•Why did you decide to become an Art of Memory member?

I have been on and off the forum for quite some time but mainly as a casual observer. I joined primarily as a way to improve my own memory practice. This site has a wealth of good suggestions for improving your memory.

4 Likes

https://forum.artofmemory.com/t/pointing-and-calling-as-a-strategy-to-boost-memory-for-daily-routines/38930

1 Like

Thanks!

I now have a checklist next to the door for when I leave the house. I know that I am failing to use it as an opportunity to exercise my memory but my wife also uses the list and she isn’t interested in memory improvement.

1 Like