New Member: sirc, Germany

Hello to everyone,

Im registered for some time, but I didnt got the time to introduce myself. So, now I want to catch up it, to become more communicative and get to know more people (and get new friends) .

Im Colin (sirc) from Central-Germany and Im currently dual studying a kind of Computer Science.

I heard the first time of memory techniques in the book “Warum fällt das Schaf vom Baum?” from Christiane Stenger. This was years ago and I said to myself I want to learn that techniques to improve myself, but I have to say that it needed the time since last year that I really started to get in into that topic.
I think the problem was that I didnt know how to use the techniques to learn for tests in school. And the old way was okay and did his job, sometimes better and sometimes worse.

Im interested in the brain and how it works and so how we as humans work (psychology).
This includes all about the “Art of Memory”. How do we remember a lot of information and why do I forget anything when Im sitting in an exam and have to write it down under pressure?
This and many more questions are really interesting for me.

I want to use the techniques and become better: there are a lot of points on my list (learn a new language, learn basic formulas, remember study information, memorize a deck of cards, numbers …) and the forum gives me more and more ideas.

A big problem of mine is the time. I know that I have to take the time to improve myself every day.
Currently, Im on a good way to implement that habit and I hope I can hold on.

My best memory achievements are that I can memorize the periodic table without mistakes ( I use a memory palace and a lot of imagination with the names :smiley: ), 30 images in 60 seconds without mistakes and in numbers around 30 numbers without mistakes, but in a horrible time (90 seconds to encode, I need to improve my Major-System).

Currently, Im training my system for memorizing a deck of cards, I think it is a Dominic-System ( I use the technique, which Dominic O Brien describes in his book “How to develop a brilliant memory” with two letters for example: AC - Al Capone for the ace of clubs .

Yeah, so its a lot to-do for me, but its fun and thats the main point.

I was caught on to the forum by the book “Moonwalking with Einstein” by Joshua Foer and Im really happy, because otherwise I dont think that I would be at the point at which Im now. I learned a lot through the forum and got a lot of ideas and help. Especially, the Memory League was a good start to train the “new way” of learning, which is actually not so new. ^^

This was it from me for now. :slight_smile:

I would be happy if you reply to me. (maybe questions, links, more information or just a simple conversation)

Kind regards,

Colin (sirc) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That sounds interesting. What kind of computer science are you studying? :slight_smile:

I didn’t study computer science in school but I’m interested in just about anything related to computers.

1 Like

Hey Josh,

in German it is called “Kommunikations- und Medieninformatik”.
I think in English it could be translated to Information- and communications technology.
The german name is old and confusing. :smiley: , but the content is telecommunication and Computer Science.
I have to say, Im now in the last semester and at this point there is no more Computer Science (unfortunately in my opinion :slight_smile: ).

Which topics do you like most related to Computers?
I have to say, that I must think about the question…

I tried time to time to program, but I learned more the way of programming (the concepts) as the programming languages themselves. And I never do it for a longer time so I forget the knowledge after a while and it feels like starting at zero.
I think I should try to use a memory technique to safe the knowledge for a longer period of time (hopefully forever ^^ ).

I also made me a little memory palace with some historical facts, which we had in Computer Engineering about the Analytical Engine from Charles Babbage for example.

I think there is a lot of more, which interests me and in which I want to be better, thats the reason why its so hard to find the most interested topics. :smiley:

Maybe you are better in defining your most interested topics, than Im. :slight_smile:

I think a problem of me/mine is that I have a lot of things on my to-do list and because of the amount I dont start at all, which is the worst what I can do. :smiley: Maybe any tips to avoid that?

Kind regards,

Colin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are so many things that one can do with computers that it’s easy to get distracted. :slight_smile:

I like data processing, programming languages (different ways to think about logic), GNU/Linux, Vim, i3wm. Also hardware, like microcontrollers and Beowulf clusters (though I haven’t built one yet).

Or a more ambitious version with a particle accelerator:

It wasn’t easy or even possible to do any of that when I was younger, so it’s exciting to see it taking place now.

Hey Josh,

that’s really interesting. A few years ago, I saw a kind of raspberry pi clusters.
In this cluster, there were 1008 raspberry pi in a cluster.
The website is only German and I don’t know if I’m supposed to post links, but if you want I can send it to you.

Sometimes, I think about that scenario of how it is for people, who saw the whole change of no computers to now. I think most people, who saw the whole change are not much interested in them (When I think of my grandparents for example). And I think about the distractions which they bring with them. I like playing computer games for example, but it wastes time compared to all the more useful stuff like reading a book or learn something new. I think without the distraction of computers I would do more useful stuff and would improve faster.

1 Like

;-; Have you tried Emacs, or Spacemacs?

1 Like

It’s okay to post a link to it. I’d be interested in seeing it.

I was born in the 1970s before there were personal computers, probably just at the right time to become interested in computers.

The first one we had access to was a Commodore PET. It didn’t have any storage, so we would write programs in BASIC that would disappear when the computer was turned off. To play games, we had books like this. You had to type the code into the computer to play them.

The second computer was a VIC-20 with 5K of RAM and a cassette tape drive for storage. To play Pac Man you had to sit around for a long time while the cassette tape played in order to load the program.

Any time I stop and think about how much computing power and storage is in my phone or on a USD $35 computer board or in the thumb drives in my pocket, it’s pretty mind-blowing. We couldn’t even connect to a network until getting a 300 baud modem (very slow), and then all you could do was call a phone number to use a BBS — it was kind of like using a forum, but no one else could use the BBS until you were finished and hung up the telephone. :grin:

You might like the book Digital Minimalism.

I use Emacs for Org Mode, but I’m so used to Vim that I use that for coding. (Neovim on my computer and Vim on remote servers or Docker containers.) Even with Evil Mode, Emacs has a few slight differences that throw me off, just because I’m used to certain things in Vim. They are both great editors. There’s also another good version I’ve tried called Doom Emacs.

Do you use Spacemacs?

2 Likes

Spacemacs yes, I love orgmode. Albeit just a beginner in all of it. I’m trying to design a knowledge organization system and that lead me to orgmode haha

2 Likes

If you haven’t discovered capture templates yet, they are worth checking out. They make it easy to capture notes and thoughts and file them away in the correct place with just a couple of keystrokes. That’s the main thing I use Org Mode for at the moment.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! I’ll look into it!