New Member: QiatsuQi, France

Good Morning MEMbers

I just subscribed to the Forum right after a Google search brought me here yesterday. I currently live in Paris.

I think I discovered my first memory technique about 14 years ago. At that time, I wanted to memorize all french departments and I started by using a PEG technique I’d read about on the WEB. I quickly found my first 20 pegs and used them to memorize the first twenty departments. I was totally shocked how good the system worked. Then I got lazy and never bothered learning the 80 or so others. But the one thing that stuck to me ever since is that the technique works real good. Even today, 14 years later, there are 5 or 6 of these departments, where I’ve never been, that I still can associate with their number because of this peg exercise I did a long time ago.

Until three years ago, I never tried anything else. Then I discovered, the Mind Palaces and the Dominic System. Lately, thanks to web sites like this one, I discover so many other powerful stuff I wouldn’t know where to begin.

My Dominic System is not yet fully integrated. I’m very slow building such system because I make it a PAO system right from the start. On the other hand, I was quicker building a different PAO/Memory palace card system and just last week, I succeeded memorizing and successfully recalling my first deck of card. It took me along time, 1 hour, but it felt like when I finished my first marathon. VERY proud! After a week, I’m now down to 20-30 minutes, depending on my level of fatigue, to memorize and recall a deck.

My biggest challenge/goal at the moment is related to the traditional Chinese medicine I’ve started studying three years ago. I will not go into details but the subject requires to memorize all sorts of physical and conceptual subjects. Among them:

• Energy channel (meridians) names, locations, paths, descriptions, main points, …
  • Meridian points names, locations, descriptions, functions, …

After the first year, a student must already master all meridians infos and about 300 pressure points. Without successfully memorizing all that, one just can’t be efficient in its practice and all one knows is good for conversations only.

My approach to that project is a complex (nany buildings, rooms, levels, …), and completely imaginary memory palace I built. When needed, anywhere in the palace, I can also use many other techniques (Dominic’s, pegs, audionyms, …). It gets more and more sophisticated as new subjects need to be included. It’s hard work, but again, it works great!

I’m sure that I’ll find here a lot of resources and enjoy inspiring conversations to push my new skills a step (or many) further.

Have a great day everyone.

QiatsuQi

Welcome, and congratulations on memorizing your first deck of cards! That’s a wonderful goal you have, about Chinese medicine. I don’t know a thing about that, but I know there are some doctors/medical school students on these forums.

Hi Tracym and thank you for your warm welcome message. I’ll make sure to find out the Traditional Chinese Medicine students here if there are any :-).

Hi QiattsuQi! I am Teck Chuan from Singapore, currently studying biomedical sciences and TCM in my fifth year now. Am so hyped about learning these art of memory though I’ve only started knowing about this not long ago and applied them this year.

I have 5 years worth of content now to deal with, all TCM and it’s massive work. Any suggestions from your part? I am slowly building up the system with memory palaces but am really worried I’m unable to finish my revision before aug/oct licencing exam…

Hello @tctaz and thanks for taking the time to write about your will to use the “art of memory” solutions to master your biomedical and TCM studies.

Before anything, I wrote this intro more than 3 years ago. At the time, I was very much invested in the TCM studies (via the Nin-Jutsu martial art and Traditional shiatsu) but things happened later that year and I’ve stopped since. Fortunately, I have not stopped learning more about the “art of memory”. I still have the intention to get back into TCM but I made no plan for that yet.

My first suggestions would be:

1- Organise the whole content of what you have to master for your exam. Mind map the whole thing on paper, indicate priorities, difficulty levels, …

2- Once you have a clearer view of the whole content, try to divide it in smaller chunks of knowledge that will be the elementary goals that you will reach for between now and august. Again, mind map the whole thing on paper and use a calendar to organise the learning. You’ll have to decide on a training daily/weekly schedule with rest days. After that, you’ll know very well if you’re an optimist or not :wink:

3- Plan to have many memory palaces and prepare them in advance. Use them often for learning anything to be really comfy with them. One very simple exercice is to place alphabet letters (or any list of whatever you want to learn) and, if you have that, objects/people of your PAO in your memory palaces and play with that. You’ll find out really soon that you can recite the alphabet in any order in no time and your memory palaces will be anchored. If you think that you can create memory palaces when needed as you advance in the study, you’re right but keep in mind that it is a bad idea. The main reason is that before learning anything, you’ll have to spend time creating the needed MP and that is less time on your study. Not having the MP prepared in advance will had an extra strain on the workload that will surely discourage you very often. I did that mistake on a project I’m currently working on and I deeply regret that my MPs were not ready before I started. I need around 100 memory palaces and I’m only at n° 16. The stress of not having the remaining 84 is with me everyday. I will fight this but preparing (creating and drawing it in my MP book) a MP adds at least an hour, sometimes more to my learning session. Not having to think about that would be taking a huge load off my back in that project. I made the mistake once and I’ll have them all for future projects but if I can convince you not to skip that preparation, I’m sure it will save you stress and diminish the blows on your motivation.

4- Recall is everything. 5 times a day for 5 days, every day for a month, … The more you’ll advance, the more recall you’ll have to do and that will need a planning in itself. Once I successfully memorised something after the first recall sessions, It goes in a spreadsheet and I use random number generation apps for the recall sessions that follows the first days/weeks. The more serious you’ll be about the initial recall sessions, the more success and confidence you’ll have with the subsequent ones and the more you’ll ace your exam.

5- I could go on and on probably but let me just end this by a suggestion you might not need but which is crucial to me even now. Sometimes, we spend way too much energy and time on trying to make our memory palaces and PAO as perfect/ideal/optimal/… as possible. Perfectionism can be a real motivation killer when it comes to memory “tools”. I still fall in the trap way too often. Polishing a hammer endlessly will never help to nail your memory projects.

I hope I was not too long. Keep me posted and if you want to exchange more on your TCM studies and how you use the memory tools, do not hesitate to contact me. Who knows, maybe that will help me get back on that track also. :wink:

Not too long at all - this was helpful for me as well.

Thank you QiatsuQi! And indeed they are all very helpful suggestions! Will use them for the MP, and thanks for reminding about preparing the MP in advance, bcos I’m now at my 10th and running out already and the stress does get to me.

For myself, apart from memory palaces, I found planning my day and noting down how I spend my time helps with the workload too - journaling. Also, been trying out ankidroid for recalling.

Thank you so much!