New Member - Nick T, Cincinnati, OH, USA

Hey everyone!
I just recently left teaching (band and orchestra) to pursue new adventures. I ran across Joshua Foer’s Ted Talk a few years ago, but forgot about it (irony?) until recently.

In about a month, I will be traveling to Japan to study the language and explore for 3 months. My most immediate goal is two-fold. I’m horrible with names and faces. Japanese uses very few pronouns, preferring given names in casual conversation. Names that are not common in my native English. The other facet of my goal is to keep up with the language learning.

My memory seems to be best with what many would consider arbitrary facts. I love Cincinnati, so it makes sense to I would know hundreds of facts about it. I’d like to be able to remember things I don’t consider fascinating.

My best feat would be 2.5 years after seeing Foer’s video, I still remember the story he told at the beginning, as well as the 5 things I used the “memory palace” for at work. It took a bit of time to come up with just one of those 5 things. Will speed come with practice, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks everyone!
Nick

3 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

If you haven’t seen it yet, you can practice on Memory League. Resources: how to memorize names and faces and free ebook.

When working on the names and faces, I was getting the correct pronunciation, but my spelling was the wrong version. Any suggestions for remembering the spellings too?

record and listen to.