New member, new to the memory world

Hi- Alex S. a student in high school currently.

I heard about mnemonics through a seminar done at my school, at the time I didn’t think much of it.

But then about 2 years later a friend of mine challenged me to memorise ‘pi’ just because… you know, why not?

Due to assessment tasks becoming more numerous, he stopped trying after 100 digits, but I’ve since been quite interested in memory, wondering: “Is there a better way to memorise numbers than repeatedly thinking aloud about them?”

I began searching the web and came across the website: “human benchmark” which got me interested in numbers.

I have since been trying to memorise all sorts of number like barcodes and car plate numbers, so that I can take my mind off school and other annoying events, and give me something to do other than daydream.

No great feat of memory has been achieved by me, the highest I’ve gotten on the tests available here is 44 digits in a minute in numbers.

I want (unrealistically) to be able to complete all 80 within 20 seconds, as that seems to be the benchmark here.

Thank you for bothering to read this, I wish to be able to find out more about how to improve my memory.

1 Like

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

Have you seen the Beginner’s Portal yet?

Errr… no, I’ll check it out now thanks.

Welcome, glad to have you. What method are you using to memorize digits? Do you have a 00-99 system? 44 digits in a minute is pretty darn good for a neophyte. I’m guessing you’re practicing on Memory League, since you mentioned 80 digits and mentioned the 1-minute time limit. If you can get to 80 digits in less than 20 seconds, you’ll be amongst the elite memory athletes of the world, and that may take some time, but you can do it if you put in a lot of time, effort and research.

I was using mnemonics major system to create images in a palace, but now I’m using 00-99 or the 2 digit PAO system, chunking 6… I can do almost 70 digits now, what competition can I participate in to attend the WMC?