New Member: MimKoRn - Slovakia. Music learning? Book-focused, practical.

Please feel free to skip only to those paragraphs you are interested in

About me

From Slovakia, living in Czech republic. 27 years old. Software engineer. Eager to learn new things all the time.

How I first got acquainted with memory techniques

I stumbled upon memory techniques throughout life every once in a while. Journey method was in a book I read on elementary school, yet, I did not really use the method much at the time. Then I read a book on memory techniques, which was pretty okay at the time, but only really started using 0-20 number shape memory pegs (super useful and impressive for laymen).

Why I came back to the memory improvement world

Can be summed up into two main reasons:

1. In his book Deep Work, Cal Newport talks about how Daniel Kilov went from a child with ADD and low school performance to a memory athlete and finishing a prestigious university with accolations. He cites a study where they found that memory athletes by training memory incidentally train the ability to stay focused/concentrated - crucial for deep work. He suggests to the reader to learn how to memorize a deck of cards and train this, not to impress friends but to further develop their work depth.

2. I want to remember more stuff!

Stuff to remember

• Bad arguments (fallacies, straw man, red herrings etc.) with examples (anyone did that, have a suggestion on structure?)
  • Remembering names of people still a hurdle and a general obstacle in social life
  • Reading loads of non-fiction books, but failing to remember all the good stuff I learnt. I want to remember books I have read using way 2/3 mostly from Bateman’s guide
  • I was always kinda dumb in school subjects that required memorizing stuff (history, geography…). I would like to use memory techniques to finally remember historical dates and other general knowledge facts.
  • I usually skip remembering names and numbers in non-fiction I read, cause I somehow over years assumed I am just really bad at that, so I do not even read them. Later when talking about stuff I cannot put them into context which makes information I share appear less credible. I would like to remember factual data like names and dates which I read
  • I write some poetry. I would like to create a memory palace with all the poems I wrote and remember them verbatim (not too many) Remember verbatim peoms and quotes I like.
  • Exercise routines, exercise technique checklists, (suzuki stretching progressions)
  • Finally learn some jokes, never could remember those
  • Famous actors and people

Books on memory I have read

In the past I have read a book called Memory training by Geisselhart, Roland.

Based on recommendations on your site I have in the past days finished reading You can have an amazing memory and How to develop a brilliant memory week by week.

Then I delved deeper into your forum, before I started actually applying Dominic’s techniques, cause I felt there are probably going to be even better techniques! And so it was. I found about Major system, Ben system and some others and I realized that there are different techniques for different purposes. I realized I do not want the best ones, cause I am not planning to enter any memory competitions. And building a 000-999 Ben’s system is just too much work for normal day-to-day life purposes.

My current challenges

I procrastinate on building journeys and systems, because of the sheer number of options that are there and I already know from experience that learning a system and then rewriting it to another is a horrible thing to do to your brain.

Applying memory techniques to learning music

I am currently dabbling with playing on a piano and would like to sing too. I am thinking if there are ways of how to apply memory techniques to this area.
  • Can you learn to read sheet music faster somehow using a memory technique?
  • Can you learn to play music passages by heart somehow faster/easier using a memory technique?
  • Can you learn to improvise, compose music faster by building a chord vocabulary somehow by memorising them?
  • Can you commit musical scales somehow into memory?

Most of the questions seem to call for development of a specific technique that would translate rythms/notes/chords/interval progressions into something that could be visualized. But maybe that’s a wrong approach altogether. Could just the fact that I can hear music in my head be used as a “journey” to remember different things about music? So far I only know of some acronyms that help remember which note on a sheet is C,D,E,F,G (FACE, etc.), but nothing really much advanced.

Picking the right techniques and building the right systems forever

I want to make some choices on what specific techniques I will be using for life and what workflows I will be using in life to remember things permanently.

• There seem to be very many techniques on how to remember names and faces and I am slightly confused on which one to pick. I will need to experiment with them and find which works best for me.
  • Still not sure if I should build my 00-99 system as a PAO, PA, Major or Dominic or even the one I have seen here with consonant+vowel. For now I am inclined due to its power to Major PAO. I want to be fluent in Major to be able to use it in its simple form (creating words) and Major seems much more useful and flexible than Dominic. Also, wikipedia has confused me - they offer a very nice 2-digit pegs table with nouns, verbs and adjectives and now I feel tempted to memorise it too. They say once you memorise it, it is very easy for you to generate ad hoc words from numbers using Major.

Published books on memory discuss permanent storage sparsely

All of the three books I have read on memory where pretty good, but I was reading the last two in hopes that I would find about some systematic approach on how to commit things to permanent memory and not just "for some time now".

Dominic has talked about the Rule of Five, but that is really just a signpost, rather than a system.

Thankfully, a lot of the things are discussed here in the forum.

I would like to …

.. create workflows

• for maintaining permanent storage of memorized info
  • for ad hoc memorising books while reading
  • for generating massive memory palaces for books…
  • …

I am using Anki (Spaced repetition system, most of you know) for some years now. I would like to create workflows for each of the cases I wrote above in “stuff to remember” section.

Example workflow for names and faces

1. Pick and use a technique to remember a new person
  2. put a face with the name to Anki and
  3. into the Extra field (shown always AFTER showing answer in both directions) would briefly describe the created association, in case I forgot it.

I do not see how just making an association would commit the face forever - it would fade unless I would review it. I am playing with a thought of creating a script that would harvest new friends from facebook and put them to anki (that would still not cover faces I am not adding as friends, but want to remember anyway)

Questions

• If you guys have some suggestions on workflows, know some books or topics in the forum about this, lemme know.

• If you have some good books / links, articles on how to work with permanent memory better (that would go further, not just SRS, rule of five), please, share.

• If you have some thoughts on which 00-99 system to learn for a guy like me (according to my needs) feel free to share.

• If there are some other well documented and tried and working ways to build massive memory palaces (other than Gavino's Massive Memory Palace System) please lemme know. I would be using those solely for learning books. For now I will probably try to use Gavino’s, but I wanted to avoid generating hundreds of journeys cause that needs to be memorised on its own too. Yes, the visuals of the place where you create journey are already there. But the journey itself is a succession of locis and the succession is arbitrary and created and needs to be firmly established before you can trust you will walk the journey the same all the time.

• If you heard anything about how to learn playing, reading music that would make use of memory techniques, that would be wonderful.

(Josh Cohen) #2

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

If you haven’t seen them yet, here are some resources that might be useful: