New Member: MCBartsh

Hello everyone,
My name is Matthew Christopher Bartsh.
I like memorizing poems and maps. I’ve never used an actual mnemonic for memorizing a poem, but I’ve created a lot of new mnemonics for maps.

I have created new mnemonics that work extremely well for me, and that I am very excited about, for the subdivisions of Ireland and of Scotland, and for the extreme points of those places. Likewise my mnemonic for all the nations of Africa and Arabia, which is designed to encode as a bonus information about the latitudes and longitudes of many of the nations. I have always been fascinated with the line of latitude and longitude (AKA parallels and meridians, respectively).

Likewise I have mnemonics for the nations of South America, and the nations of Central America.
I am currently working on some other map mnemonics.

I am planning to post some of my mnemonics here at the Art of Memory, which is the most impressive mnemonics forum I’ve seen.

I’m not so much into memorizing packs of cards or names and faces, although I can see that both of those can be very lucrative activities. I am instead interested in new educational techniques, in the main.

I would very much like to see memorization used in schools in the West a bit more, and I hope I can play a part making that happen both with activism on my part, and with my new mnemonics which I like to think combine the power of the Major System as explained by Harry Lorayne with the naturalness of many traditional low power mnemonics, such as "Thirty days hath September…).

I look upon my mnemonics as a form of art. I spend many days, sometimes weeks or months reworking them until I am satisfied with them, just like a poet does with a poem.

It seems to me that educators should be happy to invest an extra hundred hours in a mnemonic if it means that a student can use it to save an extra minute of time spent memorizing. A hundred hours is 6000 minutes, and so if there are more than 6000 students, there’s a net saving of time.

I envisage a time when top/champion/star educators create educational materials that tens or even hundreds of millions of students use, and those educators are happy to spend a hundred extra hours to shave just one second off student memorization time. And I like to think that this will apply not just to memorization time, but also to comprehension time.

I envisage a future where there is a sort of “education engineering”. Where educational materials, including mnemonics are crafted with the same care as software packages are now and this is only thought of as a basic minimum duty.

And, yes, I am studying coding, and dreaming about writing the ultimate educational software prototype in Python 3.

4 Likes