New member: Looking to expand my knowledge and memory in the academic field

Hi!

I am currently a law student from Europe looking for memory techniques in order to remember better for my professional and my academic career. I want to be able to achieve better results on my test and as well as my general memory.

I’ve always wanted to know how people can retain fast amount of information and be able to recall it correctly. I was visiting my family once and my 8-year old niece was able to recite around 100 numbers of Pi and got very impressed about it.

I’ve read about memory rooms/lanes before but never thought so much about it until I felt that I need to change my study techniques in order to achieve my goals.

I’ve been able to read several books where I skipped most of the “dead-weight” and only looked through the techniques and their examples.

Currently I have the books 3 or 4 books from Dominic O’brien as well as the audiobook of “quantum memory”

I’ve also have;
“how to learn almost anything in 48 hours” by Tansel Ali,
“Mastering Memory” by Brad Zupp,
“Study hand book” by Tony Buzan,
“Mind map mastery” by Tony Buzan,
“unlimited memory” by Kevin Horsley.

I am currently not looking to be able to remember a shuffled deck of cards or remember fast information in the correct sequence right but I am sure that I want to try it in the future. What I am looking for is a memory technique that helps me remember the books and cases better than before and be able to answer questions when I am being cold-called in class.

If you have any tips or ideas on what sort of technique I should focus on when it comes to studying techniques, please let me know

3 Likes

Welcome Epoch,
There are currently no experts in this field - as you will have found from your books each author advocates broadly similar techniques. We all make lists of information we wish to encode - techniques, number strings, music scores, vocabulary of foreign languages, scripts — anything -=- we all prepare a location, encode abstract concepts into images or symbolic representations which are easier for the human brain to recall and then place those encoded symbols and associations into the prepared place which we can then re-visit and by decoding the images we can once again recollect the original information. The efficiency we can build up in having habitual routines or algorithms of thought to do this is the real test and that is where the real work is, creating a specific routine for specific subjects or challenges.

You will find lots of information here in this forum and elsewhere on the web which will guide you to develop your own systems for your area of interest which you say is:

If you start a thread on one of the other boards I would be interested in reading more about your challenges.

Welcome

K
Scotland

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I will take a deeper dive into to the field when I have some more time later this week. From what I’ve gathered from books written by various authors, they all use a similar system. I think I am failing at visualizing certain objects but I have been practicing in coming up with new ways on how to deal with it all.

The biggest issue that I have is to find a visual for common words such as “contract”. The only visual that I have come up with is a criminal (con-man) that becomes bigger then smaller (contractions) but at the same time I think the idea of a paper having “contractions” would also be a viable visual.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see how you try to come up with an image for “contract”, since I’ve found myself in the same position. The first thing I thought of when I was thinking about a “contract”, was just two people doing a handshake. It’s usually best to just use what comes to mind first. If nothing comes to mind, it’s not a bad idea to find a word in the way you described here.

If you have some specific words which you need images for, let me know, maybe I’ve already had to come up with images for these as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I have to admit that I really had to think about it for some time since my first “visual” was also two people shaking hands. I was thinking that I might confuse contract with other visuals that I have come up with but maybe that won’t be case. I was thinking for quite some time about the word “indemnity” but I settled for “Demi lovato swallowing something” , in-demi.

I will try to work harder on my visualization, that’s for sure since law is riddled with “common words”. Agreement, warranty, acceptance, etc.

1 Like

When there is a word for abstract idea or something which has no direct image which is good enough I tent to create image from the sounds coming out of the word.

Like I would have divided the word into two like “Corn Track” now it can be a track made out of corn in front of me. For Corn I have an image for track I have an image of railway track, hence I will imagine a railway track made of Corn or full of Corn so I can call it Corn Track and then it will be a vivid image for me.

1 Like

That’s a great idea actually! I will implement it in the future for sure.

I just wrote down my memory palace but I am having a bit of a hard time to connect the different pegs in the story to each other but I think that it will go better the more I practice.

1 Like