New member: Enric Garcia Torrents, Barcelona

Physician-scientist in training, at the moment doctoral researcher and medical degree student. Interested in improving my learning skills and memorization techniques to increase performance and be able to retain and recall information in a much quicker way, as well as optimizing my general cognitive functioning by any other means and interventions.

My best memory feat so far is remembering the date of birth of my four sons and daughters. Jokes aside, I am very bad at names, random dates, and details that I may be unconsciously considering not so rellevant nor important. Great at forgetting, I would say.

I have read about memory places and similar methods, and tried them without much success. I need to know how to apply these or other techniques to, say, get into my memory a collection of 30k cards from an Anki (spaced repetition learning software) medical question bank without having to deep dive into each and every subject with all my passion and make full sense of everything which is what I know works the best for me. That would be impossible, as I face very tight deadlines and have to pass the tests.

I am not a memory athlete (yet), and basically just in need to be a better student and become a good doctor: how would you go to achieve such a goal? I will greatly appreciate tips applicable to situations as mine.

Looking forward to learning a lot from you all, sharing the little I know, and being an active member of the community. Please feel free to PM or email me, will love to connect with other members.

All the best,

Enric Garcia Torrents
Doctoral Researcher (MD-PhD trainee)
Medical Anthropology Research Center
Universitat Rovira i Virgili
[email protected]

1 Like

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

If you haven’t seen it yet, check out the how to learn memory techniques page and the memory palaces page.